GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cleaning Tail Pipe

arichmond1003

Ready to race!
personally i use adams apc and a lot of elbow grease, but i did just buy tarminator from detailers domain. waiting for my next day off to detail my car :D

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
I use wheel cleaner. Curreny, Meguires hot wheel. Works well and since I already have it its cheap as well.

Also for the insides, mini SOS pads work nicely, but dont use them on the chrome.

Butt posted from my Galaxy Note II

KilleenGTI

Ready to race!
I use Never Dull - it comes in a blue tin and can be found in most auto parts stores. It works well, but it still takes some effort. Best bet is to hit it every few days before the carbon bakes on.

sgessler2011

Ready to race!
Steel wool 0000 plus some polish and or Barkeepers friend.

spagett!

Go Kart Champion
I tried wd40 because I didn't know what to try once and it worked pretty well with steel wool. Wheel cleaner sounds like an interesting idea though too...I'll try it tomorrow with my Chemical Guys Diablo and report back

Bino

Go Kart Champion
I use Never Dull - it comes in a blue tin and can be found in most auto parts stores. It works well, but it still takes some effort. Best bet is to hit it every few days before the carbon bakes on.

Never Dull is the best to use on tailpipes. I have never seen any product on the market better then never dull. Buy it, trt it, love it.

GTI2012

Ready to race!
Tailpipe soot from Hell

Yes, the soot on the tailpipes of this car is of a particularly insidious and tenacious nature. More like black ceramic than soot. The best advice i've seen on this subject is to wipe the pipe tips off once a week with a paper towel and some windex or whatever. Once that stuff sets up on there, after a few weeks, you'll need to chip it off with an axe (kidding, about the axe). I let the stuff sit on there for a month or two during the winter, and I tried all of the mentioned cures without effect. I ended up using chrome polish and extrordinary amounts of elbow grease to slowly wear that stuff mostly off and it really microscratched the finish on them.
I don't know if they are polished stainless or chrome plated. I worry about wearing off the chrome with too much scrubbing and these shiney tips are not like other cars. They are not replaceable. they are permanently welded to the exhaust system.
When it gets warmer I will try with polish and a felt polishing wheel on my Dremel tool and see if that smooths and cleans them. Meanwhile keep on wiping them off before the soot gets too thick.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Don't deprive the tip!

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28529

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
3M stainless steel polish