GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cleaning Inside Odometer Cluster Perspex

guccigolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MY17 TSI Comfortline
So I recently purchased a preowned mk7 2017. There's some sort of dirt or plastic inside the odometer cluster and I'd like to get it looking fully clear again :)
Screenshot_20221012_212838.jpg

Is it possible to clean this area?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Should be, ive dosassembled a gopd couple clusters before. Remove the cluster, its held together by some security screws (i think star bits) so make sure you have yourself a kit to do it

Its a bummer i dont think ive ever found replacement glass (plastic). Removing the scratches is a pain and not quite the right way to get it clear.

guccigolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MY17 TSI Comfortline
Should be, ive dosassembled a gopd couple clusters before. Remove the cluster, its held together by some security screws (i think star bits) so make sure you have yourself a kit to do it

Its a bummer i dont think ive ever found replacement glass (plastic). Removing the scratches is a pain and not quite the right way to get it clear.
I've got security screwdrivers thankfully! I'm thinking a very fine microfiber cloth and isopropyl alcohol spray, or otherwise just lens cleaner. I could also try general spray n wipe. Praying I don't ruin it further

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I would say try this stuff called Novus, I used it on Helicopters back when I was around them all the time.

https://novuspolish.com/

guccigolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MY17 TSI Comfortline
My local auto store was having a sale on Meguiar's products so I picked up some PlastX today.

20221109_190846.jpg

I went at the cluster with a microfiber cloth while regularly reapplying PlastX. Overall, it took me about 3 hours of watching Netflix while scrubbing back and forth to get it all cleaned up. There's still a couple small specks in the harder to reach areas, but I'm not bothered as they're hardly visible 😏

If anyone does this themselves in future I'd recommend using a small DA or drill attachment with an applicator pad. It would speed up the process immeasurably.

Last edited:

guccigolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MY17 TSI Comfortline
20221110_091844.jpg

I still can't believe they were going to charge $550 to replace the perspex. Suffice to say, I'm very happy with my $20 fix.

They also quoted me $705 to replace the plastic trim around the cupholders, which is an absolute joke. Rather than spending all that $$$ on a $5 piece of plastic, I just removed it and wrapped it.

Australian dealerships man...

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
I recommend the plastic film from aliexpress to protect plastic now that you have it looking good again.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
"Inspected cupholder compartment. Quote $705.00"