GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Claimed MPG: how to get there

wildswan

Ready to race!
My record so for is 47.2 i'v only covered about 850 miles so hopefully it will improve my long term is 41mpg a little dissapointed but time will tell.

i got about 47.8 on my trip from bham to cheadle. a, toll and motorway roads. think the 50mph stretch after the toll helped.

pimm

Ready to race!
2.0 TDI GT manual averaging 57mpg after 2 weeks of ownership and mixed roads plus not hanging about at 50 mph either!

Pretty much the same for me. Drive mine in sport mode all the time, mixed roads but a little less town than normal folk and do put my foot down now and again and average 52 mpg, I use shell v-power but NOT the expensive one.

mikef4uk

Ready to race!
Pretty much the same for me. Drive mine in sport mode all the time, mixed roads but a little less town than normal folk and do put my foot down now and again and average 52 mpg, I use shell v-power but NOT the expensive one.

I put V power (expensive) in for my second tankful.............. I can't tell any difference on performance and the DIS can't tell any difference on the mpg either:mad:

(like wise, I use 'sport' all the time)

Funny how the MK7 is so far advanced over my old MK5 GT TDI in every department.....................except mpg where it averages about 2-3 mpg more

JohnV1

Ready to race!
The warmer weather conditions and 13,000 miles under the belt have made a significant difference to fuel consumption. My GT 150 diesel now returns 620 miles on a single tankful, during which it hit a peak of 64.6mpg, averaged high-50's throughout. Never bothered with ECO mode but I do make extensive use of auto stop/start and generally not having a heavy right foot :)

620mile range is within 10 - 30 miles of my old Mk6 GT 140 diesel but with a fuel tank 5 litres smaller. The tank actually seems even tinier than the old GT as I've never been able to fill much more than 48litres at a time whereas my old Golf would swallow 54litres and that's after running both cars for 5 or 6 miles with the range counter at zero, so it's nearer 6litre less capacity in real world motoring.

Oil consumption is essentially zero after the first service at 9,700miles. The pure white paintwork has been very easy to maintain with standard VW touch-up paint for the inevitable stone chips. A massive difference over the last deep pearl black which was an utter nightmare to conceal chips without looking obvious and crap.

I'm personally delighted with the economy, low insurance cost and 30 quid road tax. So far, no wiper problems, no suspension problems, no leaks, no paint problems and none of horrible rattles/creaks that have plagued a few owners. I think they made a really good effort screwing it together at the Mosel factory.

JohnV1

Ready to race!
Just keeps getting better and better with the sunny weather. This evenings' 34 mile commute returned 66.5mpg and that's with the air-con used for about 10miles once the ambient temperature hit 25c.

My Mk7's within 2.4mpg of the VW combined fuel economy. To me, it's just a case of not accelerating hard, don't slam the brakes, stick to the speed limit and avoid opening all the windows and increasing drag.

Forgot to add that I'm using Tesco's ordinary supermarket diesel. Never bothered the premium fuels, just a waste in my opinion and I've hardly had any re-gens these days.

Attachments

• mpg3.JPG
    mpg3.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:

valentino

Passed Driver's Ed
GTD with 75000 miles on the clock. Its a 26 mile round trip on country roads. This week with the weather being warmer, since refuel last week am averaging 53.2 mpg. No Eco mode mainly D and on occasional blast in S to maintain the DPF

mikef4uk

Ready to race!
Just keeps getting better and better with the sunny weather. This evenings' 34 mile commute returned 66.5mpg and that's with the air-con used for about 10miles once the ambient temperature hit 25c.

My Mk7's within 2.4mpg of the VW combined fuel economy. To me, it's just a case of not accelerating hard, don't slam the brakes, stick to the speed limit and avoid opening all the windows and increasing drag.

Forgot to add that I'm using Tesco's ordinary supermarket diesel. Never bothered the premium fuels, just a waste in my opinion and I've hardly had any re-gens these days.

Without me burying my head in the owners manual again, how do I know when it's doing a regen?

NadJ

Guys I'm not not best qualified to speak but I'm astonished with the figures you're quoting. If indeed true, I am not going to be buying a MK7 GTD at all this year (I've wanted one for over 18 months now!)

My last car was a 14 year old BMW 525d Auto with 135k on the clock. I was averaging 45-50 during the commute to work which consisted of 70% motorway 10% A/B roads and 20% in town. On pure motorway runs (resetting the trip at the beginning) I was able to get around 60mpg sitting at 70mph. BMWs as you may know have a very helpful current mpg needle that gives you a very timely indication of how much economy your right foot is demanding. Granted, there's a technique which (not to blow my own trumpet but..) the vast majority of drivers do not know and it was hinted at above. Coasting or using the energy/momentum of your car is the key to getting good mpg. In my BMW, it was clear to see that I could drive my car at 70mph with an mpg of around 55-60. Yet, by pushing a tiny bit more on the pedal (I mean tiny) I was getting far less mpg for the same speed. The accelerator pedal has a "biting" point of it's own (I won't go into the physics of it cos I'll probably do a poor job).