GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ceramic Spray

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
You mean silica sprays? Like CarPro Reload, Geyon Cure, etc.? Or the waterless wash systems using silica in them? Like CarPro Eco2o?

If so, all good, at least the ones from premier brands. Also, some of the spray and rinse silica sealants/coatings/layer of protection call it what you want are really good. So as long as you are indoors and out of the sun and wind and follow directions to a T.

I went silica a few years ago, haven't touched a wax product since. No reason these days.

eXult

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
Whats the deal with this Ceramic Spray Wash/Detailers? does it really work?
A lot of the quick sprays are too new to tell. Adam's just released their new spray ceramic and people are starting to use them. I will report back here if I hear more information.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
I've been using the CarPro Reload on my ride for the last 8 months or so with some pretty good results. It goes on really easy (spray on buff off) and a little goes a long way. I apply this product only after a full hand wash - two bucket method using a foam cannon to suds up first. Once reload is on the car the water beads up amazingly, so it does have those hydrophobic properties they talk about.

I can probably run my car through 3-4 touchless car washes before I have to reapply CarPro. Granted I don't wash my car every week. Realistically the 3-4 car touchless washes takes me 2-3 months to get up to. After that I notice the water starts to not bead up as well. In essence, I go about 2-3 months before having to reapply the CarPro Reload. YMMV.

Cjburn

Passed Driver's Ed
Touchless automatic washes use a very alkaline prewash or soap to break down dirt, it absolutely has an effect on any coating or sealant, no matter if its silica based or not. Adams new ceramic spray coating is fine, just ridiculously expensive for what it is. Reload has a rather low amount of silica in it, somewhere around 5%, TAC systems sells a product called Moonlight which is between 20 and 25 percent silica content with a 9 month durability claim. It sold out almost immediatelybut should be back in stock soon for less than Adams product. There are a bunch of companies that sell these products that are excellent. I am in love with my Feynlab quick detailer for under $20 bucks, but only lasts a month on an uncoated car, but for the price I dont care. Feynlab has a ceramic sealant that is excellent, but for me I love their coatings. The new Meguiars Ceramic Spray Wax looks great for what it is, watch initial application vids online first, but its price is so low its ridiculous. You cannot go wrong with Meguiars products. Carpro sells top shelf items. Adams is like Chemical guys, their products are good, but for the money there are better products.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
From experience there is no need to look past CarPro Reload. Get the 1L it is worth it. Good for everything except rubbers. If it is a hard surface, Reload will like it. I have used Reload since it's launch, about 6 years now. My only advice for ANY silica product is to shake it. When you aren't spraying it, you should be shaking it. Or it can streak.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Touchless automatic washes use a very alkaline prewash or soap to break down dirt, it absolutely has an effect on any coating or sealant, no matter if its silica based or not. Adams new ceramic spray coating is fine, just ridiculously expensive for what it is. Reload has a rather low amount of silica in it, somewhere around 5%, TAC systems sells a product called Moonlight which is between 20 and 25 percent silica content with a 9 month durability claim. It sold out almost immediatelybut should be back in stock soon for less than Adams product. There are a bunch of companies that sell these products that are excellent. I am in love with my Feynlab quick detailer for under $20 bucks, but only lasts a month on an uncoated car, but for the price I dont care. Feynlab has a ceramic sealant that is excellent, but for me I love their coatings. The new Meguiars Ceramic Spray Wax looks great for what it is, watch initial application vids online first, but its price is so low its ridiculous. You cannot go wrong with Meguiars products. Carpro sells top shelf items. Adams is like Chemical guys, their products are good, but for the money there are better products.
Be mindful though, the higher the silica content that more it take to work it and buff it off. More likely to streak and have high spots also. CarPro Relaods 5-6% is enough in my eyes, as it plays hand in hand with it's ease of use.

20-25% is basically a full fledged coating. I believe CP 9H is around 35-40%, and CarPro CQuartz UK is about 45%.

And yes, Adams is sorta like CG, flashy labeling isn't going to get me in the door. CG just changes the scents of their prodcuts and then spin them off as new products. My car doesn't care what it smells like...

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I just ordered some hydrosilex to test out (mainly for wheels, but going to try on body as well). Buddy had his Tesla coated in it and it looks insanely good. Proper prep pays off of course and only time will tell with how long it lasts, but I will be applying hydrosilex over collinite liquid insulator wax (845).

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I just ordered some hydrosilex to test out (mainly for wheels, but going to try on body as well). Buddy had his Tesla coated in it and it looks insanely good. Proper prep pays off of course and only time will tell with how long it lasts, but I will be applying hydrosilex over collinite liquid insulator wax (845).
I was always told and read to not put a silica product(which is very hard when cured) over a wax or organic product that is not. I personally would try that the other way around if it were me. Especially since the silica product probably has more longevity the the 845. Which is a great wax for the price btw. I recall getting a good 4-5 months from 845 back in my high school first car days.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I was always told and read to not put a silica product(which is very hard when cured) over a wax or organic product that is not. I personally would try that the other way around if it were me. Especially since the silica product probably has more longevity the the 845. Which is a great wax for the price btw. I recall getting a good 4-5 months from 845 back in my high school first car days.
Hmm..... I'm going to have to read up.. don't want to do this in reverse... Appreciate the heads up. I put the 845 on back in Dec, so with the harsh winter, I'm sure the life has degraded. I was going to wash and Clay bar the rear bumper, and then put the hydrosilex on as a tester area.

Also, putting it on new wheels that have nothing on them.

Last edited:

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
silica coatings are almost always intended to go over surfaces free of wax or silicones to ensure adhesion to the paint. I believe most even call out using car shampoo that will free up and remove all of those materials. once that's on there you can wax it all ya want (if you feel the need to).

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
silica coatings are almost always intended to go over surfaces free of wax or silicones to ensure adhesion to the paint. I believe most even call out using car shampoo that will free up and remove all of those materials. once that's on there you can wax it all ya want (if you feel the need to).
Crap. Guess I need a car soap that strips wax then?

Cjburn

Passed Driver's Ed
Be mindful though, the higher the silica content that more it take to work it and buff it off. More likely to streak and have high spots also. CarPro Relaods 5-6% is enough in my eyes, as it plays hand in hand with it's ease of use.

20-25% is basically a full fledged coating. I believe CP 9H is around 35-40%, and CarPro CQuartz UK is about 45%.

And yes, Adams is sorta like CG, flashy labeling isn't going to get me in the door. CG just changes the scents of their prodcuts and then spin them off as new products. My car doesn't care what it smells like...

Watch the review of the product on the Forensic Detailing channel on youtube. It looks really easy to apply, easier than a water based silica spray sealant which are grabby. Moonlight is an oil based silica sealant, apply easily and level off rather simply too. I will have some next week. Unfortunately the temps will prevent me from applying to my wifes car until the spring when I will strip off the Powerlock/Fast Finish combo that I applied for winter.