GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cat cell count and placement for smell and performance

oorrllyy

Ready to race!
So right now I'm running a catless CW downpipe and the smell is very much undesirable. I love the performance that comes with a catless downpipe but I can't get over how smelly these cars are.

So that being said, I want to add a high flow cat and need some of yall expert advice :) I'm not too worried about CEL for the o2. I'm leaning towards a 100 cell or 200 cell cat. More so 100 cell if that would be enough to eliminate some smell. I've done some research and found that cats closest to the engine are most efficient due to the higher EGTs. If possible, I'd like to keep my downpipe untouched and weld a cat right after it. At the same time, I'll probably heat wrap the downpipe to get as much heat as possible to the cat. Does this sound like a reasonable idea or am I missing something? Another thing to consider is the pipe size of the downpipe vs the catback. If I weld the cat after the downpipe, I'd need a 2.5"(?) cat vs 3"(?) cat if welded on downpipe. Will it make any difference between a 2.5" 100/200 cell vs 3" 100/200 cell as far as flow goes?

Thanks in advance!

oorrllyy

Ready to race!
May be cheaper just to sell it and get dp with better cat like neuspeed.

I bought my downpipe for $180, 100/200cell cats can be had for $100-$200(I don't need a fancy $400 cat), heat wrap I already have, weld can't be too much, and I live in Hawaii so shipping would kill me to sell and buy new one

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
If you're concerned about smell, you're best off placing it closer to the turbo to keep it warm enough to be effective. Cell count doesn't matter as much as quality of the cells themselves.