GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carplay - Sound Cuts Off Randomly

Frank Reynolds

Go Kart Newbie
I'll preface this by saying I searched and I did not find this specific issue, or really even similar.

This has happened now 4 times in 2 weeks. I am driving, listening to a podcast using an Apple lightning cable and mid podcast the sound shuts off. Carplay is still active, the app is still advancing the podcast but there is no sound. I got a text message right after this happened today, no sound. It also does not recognize the microphone. I hard restarted the phone to no avail. I had a similar issue to this over the past couple of years but it was just Spotify or podcasts where the audio would not be heard but the app was playing music/pod. However I didn't have the issue with texts or other mic/speaker functions. And this wasn't a cut out mid-listen, it would happen at startup. For those instances a restart of the phone or car would fix it.

I'm wondering, what mechanism is causing this? Something in the canbus? I'm going to swap the cable and see if it happens again. Any ideas to troubleshoot would be awesome. Thanks.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Just a guess...but it could be the connection at the car. I've noticed it feels a bit loose where the USB cable plugs into the car. I do get the odd connection issues from time to time. I use an Android and iOS phone. The Android seems to have connection issues more often than the iOS.