GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon fibre parts

Pieisgood999

Ready to race!
Hi guys,
I'm dabbling with the thought of making some carbon fibre parts over summer and was just wondering what parts you'd consider buying if made out of proper carbon fibre? Please post ideas below and I'll probably start production next month if any look like a good idea and economically viable!
With that in mind, could you please include what you'd think the part should cost?
Thanks,
Wes

Last edited:

Pieisgood999

Ready to race!
Making a diffuser would be very possible. Not sure how much people would be willing to pay mind. Akrapovic charge eye-watering amounts for theirs - good brand apparently.
My colleague and I are both aerodynamic engineers and I can honestly say that both the akrapovic and our design won't add a scrap of performance :S

Pieisgood999

Ready to race!
Fair enough. How much would you be willing to shell out for one that's standard shape, but made of carbon? We've also got coloured weaves which is pretty cool, so can have red, blue, green and yellow carbon parts.
Its a shame though. If the diffuser was deeper into the car, we'd actually be able to make something which looked cool AND produced downforce. Putting our degrees to use at last XD

Pieisgood999

Ready to race!
Well every consumer wants the product immediately, high quality and free!
Even if we had a lot of interest from other people, there's no way we'd be able to produce that large a part for anything like that amount of money :(
Realistically possible if you triple your estimate. Sorry that the exchange rate is so bad for you guys - tough times all around the world atm.

Lots of people have been waiting for the release of the APR and VWR carbon air intakes. To complete the look in the engine bay, would there be interest in a carbon fibre engine cover, manifold cover, coolant tank etc?

Pieisgood999

Ready to race!
Yeah, they seem to be popular ideas :)
Any thoughts on prices?
I was thinking with the mirrors, wouldn't it be cheaper and easier just to wrap them in carbon fibre wrap? Would cost about 1% of actually making them out of proper carbon fibre!

Luxico

I would go with the vinyl. If you were to buy the vinyl to fit yourself, you're looking at about £15 max. Professionally installed, about £85.

The going price for real carbon fibre mirror frames is about £100-£150 and that's without the actual mirror glass.

Pieisgood999

Ready to race!
Agreed. And the frames include the indicator blinker in the same section I think.
So basically, carbon spoilers and that's about it?

MidKnight7

Ready to race!
front lips like the wolfsburg edition mk7 gti would be awesome...do have options for carbon or FRP...cause some people would like to paint over the parts :D

Pieisgood999

Ready to race!
I could do. And the part can be made using coloured carbon fibre.

If you're buying a carbon fibre part though, surely you want the carbon fibre look? Why would you paint over it?

MidKnight7

Ready to race!
thats why i said to have a normal FRP(fiber reinforced plastic) aka fiberglass cause you can just paint over it...i would not paint over carbon fiber also

those colored carbon weaves looks freaking awesome btw