GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Shuddering going from Stop-->1st Gear

Mercfh

Ready to race!
So I drive a 2016 1.8T normal Golf. I've been noticing this a lot but have kinda gotten used to it...but it does worry me.

Sometimes at a top (especially on a slight, and especially in the morning after the car has been sitting) when I go from stop to first gear...the car will shudder a bit at a point at letting off the clutch. (it's not slipping, cause im watching the RPM's).

The car has 20k on it, but has done this for basically the entire time as far as I remember. This is my 4th manual car, so it's def. not me just not knowing how to drive a manual.

Some notes:

* It seems to get better as I drive and use the clutch during the day.
* If im able to roll at all downhill even slightly, it doesn't do it.
* Im around 1.5k when shifting usually
* It seems LESS bad the higher the rpm im at when shifting (like closer to 2k)
* Im clutching pretty slowly but it doesn't seem to change it
* Car shifts 100% fine afterwards (As in changing to other gears).

I've heard from someone that it may be from the clutch bouncing off the flywheel just due to low rpm. Hopefully im not causing any damage...I really don't know what the problem could be. The car only shudders for a half a second before it gets into gear. Im 99% sure this isn't slipping due to the low miles and the fact that the rpm's don't shoot up or anything.

Thanks!

LS1

Passed Driver's Ed
I am having axles and bearings replaced under warranty to cure high-speed vibration and shuddering in my car especially when accelerating.

When talking to the rep, he mentioned that if that does not fix the problem it might be due to defective parts in the transmission that cause the vibrations as it sends power to the wheels. He seemed to think these two were common culprits with the base model Golfs.

I am sorry I can't elaborate more as this is the only information that he gave me but it might be worth examining in your case.

Mercfh

Ready to race!
I am having axles and bearings replaced under warranty to cure high-speed vibration and shuddering in my car especially when accelerating.

When talking to the rep, he mentioned that if that does not fix the problem it might be due to defective parts in the transmission that cause the vibrations as it sends power to the wheels. He seemed to think these two were common culprits with the base model Golfs.

I am sorry I can't elaborate more as this is the only information that he gave me but it might be worth examining in your case.

Hmmm, well the only thing is once I get going it doesn't shudder at all? Even at high speeds. it's only for a half a second or so when im letting out the clutch from stop-->1st. Maybe im just not giving it enough gas.

gtifisherman

Passed Driver's Ed
Your clutch is warped or there is oil leaking from your main seal and burning on your clutch. Your symptom is classic for these conditions. I had it happen on an EK civic I used to own. No cure other than new clutch and maybe new flywheel.

Joel

Ready to race!
Unable to roll downhill.
Is this the Hill Assist?
Will it start moving if you keep the clutch held with no brake after a few seconds?
Have you tried giving it more gas leaving from a stop?
Before mine is warmed up it seems to idle about 50 or so rpms lower.
This causes a shudder like you are talking about sometimes in reverse.
Giving it a bit more gas seems to be the solution for me.

zero10

Ready to race!
Mine just yesterday started developing a shudder - first gear only as well, and only right as I finish letting the clutch out. I haven't felt anything like it before, even driving cars with clutch problems. I thought maybe it was some kind of misfire or torque limiting or something.

Joel

Ready to race!
There is a torque limiter, you can disable it with VAGCOM or OBDeleven.

Edit: Also if you haven't already, remove the clutch delay valves and spring...

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I've never experienced a bad DMFW on a manual car, but have with a DSG and it has pretty similar symptoms to what you describe. No one else has mentioned it yet so I'm probably wrong, but it's always a possibility it failed.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

Is axle/bearing replacement covered under the 3 year or 6 year warranty?

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Your clutch is warped or there is oil leaking from your main seal and burning on your clutch. Your symptom is classic for these conditions. I had it happen on an EK civic I used to own. No cure other than new clutch and maybe new flywheel.

Damn, I've had the clutch shudder starting out in 1st for the better part of a year now. Didn't know what it could be. Kept throwing parts at it like motor mounts, stainless steel clutch line, deleting the delay valves, etc. I just figured it had to do with the gearing and shitty engagement since it was fine in all other gears and no slippage.

Then my low coolant light came on recently, so I looked under the car quick trying to see if I could see coolant leak. Thought it was this at first, but then in another thread someone commented it looks like a RMS leak:

And I guess it does look more like oil. I had also sprayed some FluidFilm rust inhibitor under there before winter so it might be that, too. Gotta take a closer look.

But the 1st gear clutch judder symptom is the weirdest thing to me and has been driving me nuts so if that's related to a RMS leak then that could be it. Only 22k on the clock.

Weird thing is I do all my own oil changes every 5k and have never noticed it wet under there like that. Most recent oil change was only 4 months / 2k miles ago. But I guess it could have been leaking internally before that.

Jrnottarts

So I drive a 2016 1.8T normal Golf. I've been noticing this a lot but have kinda gotten used to it...but it does worry me.

Sometimes at a top (especially on a slight, and especially in the morning after the car has been sitting) when I go from stop to first gear...the car will shudder a bit at a point at letting off the clutch. (it's not slipping, cause im watching the RPM's).

The car has 20k on it, but has done this for basically the entire time as far as I remember. This is my 4th manual car, so it's def. not me just not knowing how to drive a manual.

Some notes:

* It seems to get better as I drive and use the clutch during the day.
* If im able to roll at all downhill even slightly, it doesn't do it.
* Im around 1.5k when shifting usually
* It seems LESS bad the higher the rpm im at when shifting (like closer to 2k)
* Im clutching pretty slowly but it doesn't seem to change it
* Car shifts 100% fine afterwards (As in changing to other gears).

I've heard from someone that it may be from the clutch bouncing off the flywheel just due to low rpm. Hopefully im not causing any damage...I really don't know what the problem could be. The car only shudders for a half a second before it gets into gear. Im 99% sure this isn't slipping due to the low miles and the fact that the rpm's don't shoot up or anything.

Thanks!
Did you ever get this resolved? If so what was the issue? I’m experiencing the same issues on a 2016 1.8T MT with ~60k miles.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit

this is right... I’ve had a car with this problem and it was always the clutch/seals going bad