GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car pricing...

tubbs

Passed Driver's Ed
I was just looking at the price of the New Golf SE 1.4 Manual, and noticed the base price had increased from £19,800 when I purchased it to £20,135.

Has anyone else seen the price increase, or know why? I can guess, due to costs etc, but I would expect it to go down rather than up???

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
1% (or so) across the range price increase by VW made on 4/11/13.

Err no - retail prices generally go up in line with inflation/RPI....

The price you agreed to pay (presume you ordered prior to 4/11/13) will be protected...

vwman

Go Kart Champion
When have prices gone down ?

VW regularly put their prices up normally twice a year the 4th November increase was expected.

tom1

Ready to race!
Just haggle with the dealer, i'd say now is the right time to get a good deal...Christmas is coming and buying a new car is the last thing on most peoples shopping list

jivemonkey2000

Passed Driver's Ed
Just haggle with the dealer, i'd say now is the right time to get a good deal...Christmas is coming and buying a new car is the last thing on most peoples shopping list

I've never managed to get as good as deal directly with the dealer than I have via an online broker. My dealer told me they'd couldn't get anywhere near the price quoted by the broker. Used brokers for last 2 cars and wouldn't do it any other way.

tubbs

Passed Driver's Ed

VW regularly put their prices up normally twice a year the 4th November increase was expected.

I didn't realise that, good to know!

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
I've never managed to get as good as deal directly with the dealer than I have via an online broker. My dealer told me they'd couldn't get anywhere near the price quoted by the broker. Used brokers for last 2 cars and wouldn't do it any other way.
On my Mk.6 the local dealer matched the Drive the Deal price I was quoted (around 10% off) in 2011.

For the Mk.7 they could not get anywhere near it at only 6% off a GTD - so I went with DtD - it was a simple, quick and painless experience - pretty much all over in two phone calls with them and then confirmation e-mail and follow up letter from the VW dealer a week later.

I'm a convert and will use them again without hesitation.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
They did at one point during the Mk.V run - but they cunningly made some of the standard features of the SE, such as auto lights and rain-sensing wipers, optional in order to fund the price reduction.... peeps such as Marvin who had ordered prior t the price reduction were less than happy when their cars arrived with missing kit.

Option155

Passed Driver's Ed
For best price, try a broker like OrangeWheels which will point you (for no fee) towards a decent discount from a proper dealer. I got around 10% or so off.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
The 'best' price is currently with Drive the Deal at 12% off. The brokers all work in a similar way, whether Orange Wheels, DtD or whatever - they are esentially an 'introduction agency' that simpley puts you with a VW main dealer that is prepared to honour the price they quote you on their website. From then on its the same purchasing experience as if you had negotiated the price with the dealer yourself and the order is placed through the dealer in the normal way. The broker get a commision from the dealer for each introduced customer.

LeonMKVII

Passed Driver's Ed
During my recent experience buying my new mk7 from a VW dealer here in Melbourne Australia, I was negotiating the price for the base 90tsi model which is currently priced at $22,900 and after adding 3 options of tinted windows, 15" alloy wheels and parking sensors we were at $24,300. The next model up the Comfortline/SE was at RRP $28,900 and the dealer wouldn't budge on price any lower.

To cut a long story short after quite some time of haggling I brought out from my pocket a printed quote from an Aussie discount website www.bestprice.com.au which low balled the Comfortline/SE model for $25,800. I asked him to match the internet price. After going back and forth between his "manager" countless times we shook hands at a drive away price (including all road tax and registration etc) $25,000 even. $4000 cheaper than the RRP.

The internet shows some funny prices sometimes and absolutely kills the RRP. In this case doing my homework and printing off a piece of paper got me a $4000 discount.

PontyB

Passed Driver's Ed
I used buyacar.co.uk and fantastic deal, more in relation to part-ex of my Subaru that no-one seemed to want so when combined with their 10%ish off list and options it worked really well. Drove new car to my door and the part ex away. Highly recommend.

JohnV1

Ready to race!
For best price, try a broker like OrangeWheels which will point you (for no fee) towards a decent discount from a proper dealer. I got around 10% or so off.

I'd also used OrangeWheels, had the DRL LED's and reg.plate LED's chucked in for free, total discount worked out at 11%.

Also the part-ex they gave me on my Mk6 thrashed the local dealer from where I bought and maintained it for 3 1/2 years.