GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Camshaft replacement at 20k miles

blackecho101

Recently purchased a used 2015 mk7 GTI to replace my faithful mk5 GTI that was totalled in a accident.
I had the car for one day and got a check engine light. I bought it at a dealership so back it went and i was told it was only a camshaft position sensor. A week or two later the car stalled with the clutch engaged while rolling up to a stop light. When I restarted it I had the check engine light again. They fixed it and said it was the other camshaft position sensor. Now it's a month later and the car stalled and gave another check engine light one afternoon and the next morning otw to the dealer. They said they fixed the original issue but found another issue with my 'airbox' that they needed to wait for parts to come in to fix. Three days later I find out they are going to replace the camshaft and it will be another few days before I get the car back.

TL;DR Basically, has anyone else had camshaft issues with this low of milage and is this a sure sign that I should get out of this car asap? I drive a decent amount of miles per year and this is my only DD. I am still on factory warranty, then I have CPO warrenty that I extended, so that's a factor too.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I haven't seen anyone else with this issue, nor is it a abuse realated failure. Just a fluke/bad luck in my eyes I wouldn't sweat it

blackecho101

That is very reassuring. I was concerned it would be something abuse related and also something that could effect many other components in the engine. I have been paranoid to say the least since I've had the car back to the dealer this many times in such a short time after purchase but I'm glad to have some positive feedback. Everyone at my job tell me I bought the worst car possible since seeing me have these problems!

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk