GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burning Oil On Startup

WhiteGTI281

Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI
I Have a 2017 GTI on Stage 2 With EQT and Recently I have noticed on a cold start or if it has been sitting for a few minutes there is a puff of white smoke and it smells like something is burning I believe its oil because it smells like old gokarts I called my mechanic and they said it was most likely a PCV issue but I have read that it could be Piston Rings or Valve Stem Seals if anybody has any insight or had this happen to theirs I would greatly appreciate your input

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Do a compression test and go from there. Hopefully it’s the pcv

WhiteGTI281

Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI
I have Replaced my PCV but it is till smoking on start up I am getting a bit frustrated but Hopefully its something small or not crazy expensive

OceanJack

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
What type of cat are you running? Does it do it after sitting overnight? or after a hot drive and you let it sit for a bit then restart?

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
I have a similar or same issue and had done some research and my best guess is the valve stem seals are going. Only get a puff of blue smoke on start up after its been sitting either overnight or an extended period. The seals let a little oil in into the chamber due to their being cold and don't seal up. You start the car, oil burns off (blue smoke), then the seals warm up and do their job again. Maybe?

OceanJack

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I have the same issue, I'm definitely saying it's valve seals and just ignoring it. Only happens once in a great while.