GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bumper holes, what options do I have?

VdubbinCT

Ready to race!
So the dealers with those stupid fake plates, also have holes in the front bumper. I can cover it with my Euro plate, but I take it off in the winter because beating on the bumper when its iced, which loosens the euro plate (I use 3m adhesive). I called a body shop and they said it would take a little work and cost around 400-500 to seal those holes, because getting a new bumper is not necessary. I tried the bumper plugs from a website but they do not fit, though the website says they will fit. Anyone have any other solutions that worked that might be less than $500?

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
At least your car is dark, you can probably fill yourself and use touch up paint. Cut and polish. Won't be noticeable from a few feet away.

My White Silver came with 5 complimentary holes, but at least it's straight and center lol. We have to run a front plate here.

K3RMIT

Passed Driver's Ed
I’ve had bumper plugs on two GTIs now, better than paying a fortune to a body shop. ?‍♂️ Had to drill out the holes a bit bigger to make them fit. That was fun...

Attachments

• 3650A160-C038-44FF-943C-981F4108EFEE.jpeg
    3650A160-C038-44FF-943C-981F4108EFEE.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,903

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Agreed, I've run bumper plugs on a few cars, they are the best looking alternative, short of just intentionally rear ending someone and getting a TCR bumper.

nimonery

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
I had bumper plugs on my Jetta. I went to put bumper plugs on my GTI only to realize that not only did they drill 3 holes into the bumper for the frame, but they drilled the two screws for the actual plate so far in that those made holes too. So now there are FIVE holes in the bumper ???

KS GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 R Lapis BlueDSG
So the dealers with those stupid fake plates, also have holes in the front bumper. I can cover it with my Euro plate, but I take it off in the winter because beating on the bumper when its iced, which loosens the euro plate (I use 3m adhesive). I called a body shop and they said it would take a little work and cost around 400-500 to seal those holes, because getting a new bumper is not necessary. I tried the bumper plugs from a website but they do not fit, though the website says they will fit. Anyone have any other solutions that worked that might be less than $500?
On the Accord I traded for my GTI, I 'enjoyed' holes in the front bumper, too. My solution was to use plugs obtained from my local hardware store. I bought them slightly oversized and used a reamer to sneak up on the hole size so they fit tight. I had touch up paint for them and found that sanding the plugs very lightly helped the paint adhere.

Bob.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Looking at the pics of even the best plugs to me they stand out like a sore thumb....
if particular me I couldn’t walk up to my car without it bothering me and regretting not just taking car of it before. let’s say you keep the car for even just a short 4 years that 500 is literally stretched out to being 10 bucks a month, considering how anal I am it would bother me everyday I seen it, so basically 30cents per view ??.

May as well do it right if it bothers you .

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
I bought a new GTI from VA. Luck was with me, they had a new delivery car on the lot that did not have the holder installed yet. They swapped bumpers with that car. A lot of BS happened in the in between, including the sales person telling me that they came in with the holder installed and the sales manager claiming they drilled no holes when they put the plate holder on.

Another guy I met bought a car from the same dealer, his had the holder installed. We both live in TN where front plates are not offered. I was amazed they put two more ragged holes in the bumper when they installed the temporary plate. So now he is dealing with those holes, I think he is doing the homemade painted bumper plugs as getting the bumper fixed is around $500. Seems they could have at least designed a holder that does not require two more holes in the bumper to mount the plate, could just as well eliminate the holder and the other three holes.

Other cars I have had used a bit more clever engineering where the holder attached in the grill and to the bottom of the bumper. It looks like it would have taken almost zero cost and 30 minutes of design time to make a holder that is removable. I know legal requirements probably make leaving the front holder off a new car problematic, driving my car home without the temp plate on the front was technically not legal. The VA inspection sticker was peeled off the windshield immediately, so I guess I live on the edge. It just seems stupid to deface a new car when quite a few states have no front plate requirements. The non-license plate alternatives look just as bad. If it were mine with five holes in the new car bumper, I would have to repaint it.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
I bought my car from Ohio a few weeks ago. IDK when they stop requiring front plates but the dealer did not drill any holes into my bumper :).

Ive seen people that use brackets for their front plates that go into the tow hook. Seems like a better solution than drilling holes in the bumper. Granted I am not sure what you'd have to use to remove the bracket if you actually needed to use that tow hook.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
My word.

My '19 has the plate just drilled right into the rear bumper with two screws. I thought they should have done a better job than that.

Now that I see the front... It seems they have an issue hitting a middle ground. ?