GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Broke dad breaks personal records @ HHR on a hot @$$ day; gulps a bottle of fail-sauce in front of the crowd: Track Night @ Harris Hill Raceway 6/7/23

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Track Night 6/7/23 – Everything not to do at an HPDE…

Where to begin...
1686330699470.png

My goal for this event was a revision on the May event:

1) I wanted to finish out these tires that had one good track day left in them. Then replace them under my Michelin tire warranty.

2) I wanted to have my Unitronic intercooler installed before the hot race day, to see if it could help me shave any tenths or seconds off my times, while also better protecting the engine from hot IATs.

3) And I wanted to run a 1:32.xx lap, to match one of the faster drivers in our group.

That last one was a hail Mary. Totally doable, but would require some expert driving and car control.

That was it. My list. Considering my goal for May’s event was to run a 1:36-1:38, this was definitely progress.

Anyway, let’s talk about my errors and spread some knowledge. It ain’t pretty, but if it helps 1-2 people, then it’s worth the sacrifice.

1686330730921.png

Incremental changes and improvements to the car between March and May track days.
Added H&R 28mm FSB, Eurosport camber mounts and front ST brace, Bilstein B8 dampers all around + Hawk HPS 5.0 pads: part of this right before the 5/10 event.

Wheels, tires, engine parts completely unchanged.

Dampers and brakes made a HUGE difference on our cars. I don't recommend any stock VW dampers on a track like HHR. The B8s kept the car under control in all sections of HHR. Stock dampers would have you po-going through the back stretch like a kid loaded on Pop Rocks on a sunny afternoon.

The -2.4* negative front camber was also monumental in turn-in and cornering stability. We need at least -2.0* of negative camber (all the way up to -3.0*) for maximum front-end grip, rotation and effectiveness.

I did a lot of things right for this event. I truly did.

1) I had my major, mandatory mechanical prep and inspection work done a full week before the event. This is huge for me, because I am constantly too busy with work and dad stuff to touch my own cars.

2) I pulled exactly ZERO all-nighters on my car before the event. I didn’t try and cram in new installations that would stress me out and mess with my sanity.

3) I had the car hand-washed the day of, despite my reluctance. Pics below. Finer than a stack of unpaid speeding tickets.

1686330807800.png

1686330822611.png

4) I even got a good night’s sleep the night before, and woke up on time to pack and prep everything for the hot summer day.

5) I made it to the event on time. This has been (historically) challenging for me to manage due to also taking my kiddos with me, and all their needs/supplies.

Now, against all efforts and execution, I did a bunch of chit wrong.
  • I forgot my tire pressure gauge AND my digital pyrometer.
  • I might have gone off track at one point… (keep reading)
  • I got black flagged and accused of something I didn’t actually do. Then discovered the next morning that I did in fact do that thing (after photographic evidence was produced).
  • This was after getting pulled aside and nearly booted for something else that was far more innocent. I won’t comment on that publicly.
1686330861074.png

The whole afternoon felt like a bit of a cluster-f*** with some embarrassing moments, and I hardly got to enjoy my experience this go-around. But if you read this information for yourself, you can learn some valuable tips on how to properly prep for a track day, and learn what not to do on the day of the event.

“So how’d ya do, Kid?”

My first session was a throwaway, and it was my own accidental fault. I forgot to set my tire pressures before the session. Absolute rookie mistake. I am still face-palming myself. Not only that, but I forgot to pack my pro-grade tire gauge. This is day 1 beginner stuff.

So I came into the event on hot street pressures (35-36psi), before taking them on track and superheating them from the cornering loads and tread abuse.

My pressures right off-track were in the 38-39psi range. It’s a big deal. 34-35psi hot is ideal for the max summer/UHP tires I run, so I should have started them at 30-31psi warm. It’s not at all abnormal to see a 3-4psi increase in tire pressure just from heat during a session, so plan accordingly.

My Michelins are also down to ~4/32” all around, so they aren’t swinging for the fences in their current state.

Anyway, above 35psi, they lose their contact patch as the tire becomes overly round and bulbous, and the tread then becomes super slippery when you ask it to turn, or carry speed while accelerating into sweepers.

You can see it visually with your eyes looking at the tire carcass, and verify your observations by how I had a FWD car screeching a few times in a fast sweeper, complaining like a meth addict trapped in a holding cell. There was zero confidence from the tires that first session. And I take full credit for the failure.

I realized my tire pressure error after the first 3-4 laps. All I could do was ride it out and cope.

I managed to run consistent 1:35-1:36s with bad tire pressures and squealing rubber heard all around the HHR compound. Not happy, but not terrible. Previous PB on 5/10 was a 1:37-1:38 with a front alignment toed way TFO. We have our work cut out for us…

I deflated all my tires down to 33psi (hot) right after the first session ended, and the left front I lowered to 32. The LF gets pounded the hardest when running HHR in the CW configuration.

Second session was destined for greatness. Until I became the first loser in my group to go off-track. In the very beginning of the session: second lap out, and my first hot-lap.

Of all places? Going too hot into turn 3. It’s not even a difficult corner!!! I just got a little carried away in the first two corners, and the tires (or car?) wanted to make an example out of me.

It honestly felt like the front tires locked up and just started to plow wide. Nothing I tried with braking or steering could correct the trajectory of the car in that moment.

I’ve been there before in Porkchop, a 3500lb RWD muscle car I used to compete in. You ask too much of the front end and it just goes to chit mid-corner. Exact same sensation where the car just plows sideways from all the inertia/momentum, and the steering wheel becomes nothing more than a handle to grab.

During my embarrassing display of understeering fail sauce in turn 3, I also managed to take out a full-sized marker cone. Which blemished my mostly beautiful front bumper. Well played, cone. Well played.

I know the protocol for going off track: do some Dukes of Hazard victory donuts like it’s the General Lee, kick up some dust, then carefully re-enter the track when it’s safe to do so.

Shrugging off the initial embarrassment and shock is sometimes the hardest part. You know everyone just watched you screw up. A few folks got it on camera to preserve for posterity. You’re officially a lot less cool than how you arrived at the event.

When you re-enter the track, you’ll be black flagged immediately to come in after your “sudden loss of control”, where you prove to the track officials that both you and the car are still sane and undamaged.

Shrug that off, go back out, try to do better.

1686330990815.png

That off-track event was deeply sobering, and I think it zapped a lot of the wind out of my sails. I’m normally a smarter driver than this.

At the previous two HHR/TNIA events, I’d come close in a few other corners to “the edge” of the track; from getting on power too early and the car going wide, but I never left the black stuff. Oh well. Lessons learned. Ego milled down another few thousandths.

Fast forward: I was black flagged again (later in that same session)n and accused of having smoke coming out the back of my car. This was irritating, because Stormy is a low-mileage car and has never sent smoke out the back.

I verified all my fluid levels and conditions meticulously before (and on the day of) the event. PCV failure? They usually go to 70-75k miles without issue on the modern Dubs. Shrugs shoulders.

One of my beloved co-racers in a grey Mk7 VW Golf is now famous for his crop dusting in certain sections of the track. I was sure it had to be him and they were mistaking us. We tend to fly in formation around the track since our cars run comparable times (ed. – Monkey has way more track experience in his car AND better brakes up front – nothing but #respect!)

I explained this to the track official and was cleared to go back out. Try to imagine, even if you haven’t done an HPDE before, it is HARD to get into a good rhythm with this many disruptions...

1686331047621.png

Third session, I was held back by the event manager to discuss something that happened earlier. I missed the first few laps and went out way late. Created some space for myself and just did my own thing. No cars in the mirror.

I let Monkey pass me at one point mid-session. My tires weren’t cutting the mustard and I had given up on my goal of cutting a 1:32 on street tires. Why hold up faster cars behind me?

There was another car between me and Monkey…a black Miata? There were at least two that day. Whatever it was, it ate the famous mosquito spray going into turn 10. That’s right. Monkey’s Golf smoke-shat all over a convertible driver. It was glorious.

These cars should have an emergency button that does precisely this. “Push in times of close races/Altima drivers tailgating.”

So let’s talk about that phenomenon for a quick second, and whether it is a car problem or a side effect from the track:

Turn 9 is a stupendous sweeper with a slight right hand bend, and you’re doing 90-95mph through it if you know what you’re doing…even faster if you have more than 400hp on tap and good tires.

The braking zone always comes up faster than you think: miss it and you’ll be flying into some tall grass and a ditch nose-first.

You get on your brakes HARD to go from 95 down to 40mph in 2 seconds, then chuck your car to the right for what is essentially a 180* turn with two apexes. If this were VIR, it’d be called Horseshoe. It rewards grace and punishes greedy drivers. I’ve been on both sides of that coin.

This is the section I wrote about in my 3/15 Track Night article, where you have to really have a good line planned, or you will understeer your way to failure in a FWD/AWD car.

Anyway, turn 10 is important, because that transition from balls-out speed to Lewis Hamilton late-braking disrupts the oil supply in the pans of some wet sump cars.

We now have not one, but two Mk7 cars whose motor oil gets sloshed forward in the pan, producing spectacular smoke displays out the tailpipes. Perhaps the oil is getting past the rings when the pistons are at BDC in those moments?

I didn’t believe it until Monkey sent me pics from his dash/lap recorder when he was riding tandem behind me:
1686331121205.png

Stormy now produces her own flatulent weather patterns. I was as shocked as I was ashamed. [face palm] One more thing to diagnose/chase down on this little car.

1686331137179.png

Anyway, both our cars have this issue in the exact same spot, and nowhere else on track.

I was watching my mirrors the entire session, the way one watches when they’ve passed a sitting cop while speeding, looking for any signs of Snoop Dog reefer smoke to come out the back. I never saw a single puff from the driver’s seat.

Track officials black flagged me near the end of the third session. Monkey was right behind me, so he followed me off track. It felt like we were the problem children at a catholic school: we kept getting in trouble/reprimanded, and each time I didn’t know WTF I’d done wrong (other than under-steering on squealing tires).

1686331161131.png

They let us back out on track for maybe 2 more laps, then the session ended. What a boner killer. Seriously.

TLDR:

1) I wanted to run a 1:32 that day. I wanted it badly. To see if it could be done with everything optimized.

2) …I ran 1:34s consistently most of the day in sessions 2 and 3.

3) I had at least two laps that were a 1:33, but I hit an issue (or a slower driver) at the very end (turns 10-11 areas) that mucked up the hero run.

4) Overall, I have reached the plateau for this car and these tires.

1:33s are possible (consistently) with more driver time and smarter lines. But nearly impossible on these “street tires” through my little FWD chassis.

I love my Michelins, but the current set, in ultra hot June asphalt, just didn’t have it in them.

I should also add that we had a couple of other folks go off track in various locations that day. I truly blame the heat and tires just not being able to cope on the track surfaces, but I can’t prove it.

My mentor/nemesis/hero Graham in the M235i was on the same PS4S tires (ed. - I have no clue how new or old), and he was absolutely FLYING through the sessions with much less squeal/drama. It was [for the third time] deeply humbling to point him by and watch his speeds and lines. No way in FWD-hell was I gonna be able to keep up on these tires.

[More good content coming...keep following this thread.]

Last edited:

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
1686331474553.png

Conclusion/Lessons Learned:

1) I still love the car. I still want to prove what’s possible with the platform on a full-weight, street-friendly setup.

2) It is now top-tier for handling and braking in a sub-$40k street-car. The turn-in and nimbleness is as astounding to passengers and fellow racers as it is to me, the owner/driver/builder.

The new Hawk HPS 5.0 pads are an absolute darling. Brake dust be damned. They grab and stop the way I’ve always wanted: easy to modulate, and they pull you down from high speeds like a parachute being deployed if you get on them hard. The dust is actually less caky and easier to clean than the OE TRW pads.

1686331578096.png

ABOVE: Eli in his favorite spot. Kid needs to get trained up on some open wheel go kart fun like young Lewis Hamilton.

3) I need some higher temp brake fluid for these track days than the Pentosin SD4 I’ve been using. As a street brake fluid, it’s superb. Some extra heat tolerance would now be welcomed and appreciated for pedal firmness/consistency. My pedal never went soft, but it took more input each session to slow the car. And I just flushed the fluid before the event.

4) I suspect the smaller BMW M cars (1/2-series), despite their hefty weight penalty, just have a better layout and weight balance (RWD) that allows them to do amazing things on a circuit, even in mostly stock form. Or is it all driver mod? I really do wanna know…

I’ve watched Graham’s videos and his OE BMW-M dampers seem to soak up the rough spots of the track with aplomb. The ZF 8-speed might actually be a better box on-track as well. But these are heavy speculations.

5) If I return to HHR this year, I really want to go out on R-compounds and go full-send. My Nitto NT01Rs were absolutely amazing when I raced on those. I’ll happily take some RS4 Hankooks if it comes to that, though they;’ll be a good 2 seconds slower. But dedicated track wheels and tires are a must. I’m asking too much of my street wheels and tires.

1686331627075.png

ABOVE: Athena, my oldest. 7.5-yr old Shepsky. She was stoned off Trazadone to help her anxiety in big, busy places. She slept through half the event.

6) I will also do better on my homework this next time by watching videos of faster cars/drivers picking their lines, braking zones, corner speeds, etc. to see where my weaknesses are in each section of the track.

I had every intention of doing this prior to 6/7, but I’ve been working some insane hours much of this year. It just didn’t happen. Sleeping and showering came first.

7) Lucas octane booster (out of concern for my IATs and performance) worked well for just $11 a bottle. I didn’t add it until I got to the track, and one bottle lasted the entire day for me.
1686331975478.png
LEFT: Fuel additives work best when you turn your car sideways 90*...

8) A quality digital tire gauge at a track day is like good toilet paper in a public restroom: you just can’t do the job without it. So always check to make sure you have them before you commit and send it.

1686331703718.png

ABOVE: Whiskey Rivers, Courtney's doodle, wanting a piece of Athena's German-engineered glutes...

9) I reallllly wish I had experimented with VAG-COM settings on the front LSD and the ABS/TC, as others have recommended on here.

I felt like the ABS was fighting me in a few sections of the track (as part of the stability control programming), and I feel like there was a pregnant delay in my front-end putting the power down under throttle. I could be wrong on both counts, just commenting honestly from the driver’s seat.

1686331521522.png

ABOVE: The "holy f**k I'm tired from all this heat" pre-drive home snack meal....

BONUS: I saved this for last – I didn’t get to do my intercooler install before the event. Yup. I know. Flame away.

My IATs were fine, despite the handicap of the stock chiller. Higher than optimal? Absolutely. But they never surpassed 125-128* F on a ~90* day. They trended mostly in the 116-122* F range. So I skated by on that one.

HHR doesn’t have many straightaways though, so you’re not WOT long enough to cook the turbo and boil your IATs. Other tracks with longer straights may/will be a different story.

I really wanted to do the intercooler install when I wasn’t super compressed for time, but (as usual)…customer cars came first, and took a ton of my time and energy.

That finishing touch (I/C) will happen later this month in preparation for a fast car club cruise on 7/2.

Anyway, thank you for reading this far. Please let me know what you found helpful, and if you were able to laugh at my follies.

For modding and racing, I’m all out of money for the year. Possibly for the remainder of the 21st century the way this economic shit show is panning out. So this will be my last race for a while.

But sweet jeezus, how I have missed it!!!! 8 years away was wayyy too long to stay away.

Keep all four tires on the paved stuff.

Cheers, friends.

1686331769814.png

1686331926783.png

Stormy after a full hand wash, her first after the pro-detail end of May. All track grime and damage removed. Well...90% of the damage.

1686331816847.png

ABOVE: Front bumper cleaned up, cone scuffs removed. Check out that negative camber. So yummy! Just don't inspect my fog light. It was donkey punched on that off-track moment...

Last edited:

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Below is a short packing list. I will be using this for my own benefit moving forward. Maybe it will help some newcomers to HPDEs here.

Track-day packing list during hot-@$$ weather:

-Sunscreen and a hat

-A crap ton of chilled bottled water

-A medium sized cooler for lots of drinks and snacks

-Gatorade or Powerade, cut/mixed with water (50/50 works great)

-A quality tire gauge that’s verified to work

-Optional, recommended: a digital pyrometer (laser temp gauge that can read up to 1000* F and beyond). Use it to check tire tread surface temps and brake rotor/caliper temps after each session

-A hairbrush if you still have hair up there (helmet sock/helmet hair is a real thing)

-All your normal racing regalia – certified helmet, racing gloves, Top Gun Maverick sunglasses, etc.

-A small box with basic cleaning products for the car – quick detailer, couple of clean microfibers, and some glass cleaner. Because you’re gonna have bugs and cars poop on you a lot. Being able to clean the windshield and bumper off is helpful.

-Basic tools, condensed into a small toolbag/carrier in case of emergency. Make sure there’s a breaker bar and 17mm deep socket in there to change/service a wheel or tire.

-A small crew of helpers and supporters. Your spirits will need an occasional boost. Kids, friends, and lovers all work well in this role.

-If you can fit it, a small shade canopy and/or some folding chairs. ‘

…I ended up just having my crew/family use the clubhouse at HHR. It has AC, bathrooms, cold water, and they can see the track/cars from the top of the hill. Way less crap to carry in the car this way.

Last edited:

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Supplemental reading. Lots of good content: featuring double the irreverence, and half the self-deprecation.

TNIA 3/15 (the track day that wasn't supposed to happen):
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/track-night-hhr-3-15-a-cinderella-story.419653/

Ran in the low 1:40s because I hardly knew what I was doing the first session or two, and the car was on full street setup. No added camber, front sway bar, or other helpful aids.

TNIA 5/10 (because I missed the phuckin' April event, but went to spectate anyway):
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...down-grab-a-drink-and-lets-get-sloppy.422980/

Ran 1:38s fairly consistently with front alignment way TF out.
Prior to this event, we added 28mm H&R FSB, EuroSport camber mounts, a EuroSport front strut tower brace, Bilstein B8s and Hawk HPS 5.0 pads.

It went from feeling like a Golf built to a price point…to a FWD BMW M car.

Then Post #1 above, 6/7 track night. Same track. Hotter temps. Ran 1:34s consistently.

Only change was finally getting the alignment corrected. All other pieces of the car unchanged.

Dampers and brakes made a HUGE difference. I don't recommend any stock VW dampers on a track like HHR.

Last edited:

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
We've all had these days at the track! I look forward to your next adventure.

As Jay and David said, PVC is dumping oil into the intake on fast, hard-breaking, right-hand turns. Consider it a sign of carrying speed and braking hard, because if you weren't, you wouldn't be putting on the smoke show. You can try the latest iteration PVC (some say it makes it go away), or a good catch can. Racingline's cured it for me.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Heh been there more times than I can count. Going off is how you learn, everyone does it eventually.

That's probably your PCV causing the smoke during hard sweepers. A catch can would help
I'm hoping it's a PCV issue and not something more serious.

That said, I have seen VERY mixed/poor results on catch cans from users on this platform. I'm not fully sold on them.

Also, if the issue is oil getting past the rings at BDC, no catch can in the world will help it. The oil is getting directly into the combustion chambers and compressed/burnt out on the compression and exhaust strokes. It's a primary entry point, when the PCV is totally secondary up top.

Hope this makes sense in writing.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
We've all had these days at the track! I look forward to your next adventure.

As Jay and David said, PVC is dumping oil into the intake on fast, hard-breaking, right-hand turns. Consider it a sign of carrying speed and braking hard, because if you weren't, you wouldn't be putting on the smoke show. You can try the latest iteration PVC (some say it makes it go away), or a good catch can. Racingline's cured it for me.
I should add - thank you for the encouragement! BMW owner snickered at me when I went off track. It was embarrassing overall.

I will look into the Racingline and start researching it.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
For reference, this is what a 1:32 lap looks like at HHR.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Dash cam footage of sessions 2 and 3 at HHR 6/7. Watch closely for the first 2 minutes. He captures most of my off-track disaster around the 1:15 mark. I was way up in front.

Also note his driving is smooth AF. Impressive for how choppy and tight a lot of this course is.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
100% decel into a tight right hand turn is the PCV dumping oil into the intake.
Does this indicate a PCV failure, or just a design flaw where the PCV can't handle this kind of oil shift/inertia inside the crank case?

Asking to decide if a fresh OEM PCV is needed, or a consideration for a catch can.

Thanks, D.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Below is a short packing list. I will be using this for my own benefit moving forward. Maybe it will help some newcomers to HPDEs here.

Track-day packing list during hot-@$$ weather:

-Sunscreen and a hat

-A crap ton of chilled bottled water

-A medium sized cooler for lots of drinks and snacks

-Gatorade or Powerade, cut/mixed with water (50/50 works great)

-A quality tire gauge that’s verified to work

-Optional, recommended: a digital pyrometer (laser temp gauge that can read up to 1000* F and beyond). Use it to check tire tread surface temps and brake rotor/caliper temps after each session

-A hairbrush if you still have hair up there (helmet sock/helmet hair is a real thing)

-All your normal racing regalia – certified helmet, racing gloves, Top Gun Maverick sunglasses, etc.

-A small box with basic cleaning products for the car – quick detailer, couple of clean microfibers, and some glass cleaner. Because you’re gonna have bugs and cars poop on you a lot. Being able to clean the windshield and bumper off is helpful.

-Basic tools, condensed into a small toolbag/carrier in case of emergency. Make sure there’s a breaker bar and 17mm deep socket in there to change/service a wheel or tire.

-A small crew of helpers and supporters. Your spirits will need an occasional boost. Kids, friends, and lovers all work well in this role.

-If you can fit it, a small shade canopy and/or some folding chairs. ‘

…I ended up just having my crew/family use the clubhouse at HHR. It has AC, bathrooms, cold water, and they can see the track/cars from the top of the hill. Way less crap to carry in the car this way.

I would add
torque wrench - I've had 2 lug bolts come almost all the way out after a session even though I had torqued them the day before. Now I retorque after first season

a bottle of oil - I think the pictures give the reason why. I've run low at COTA.

brake fluid - haven't needed it yet, but just in case.

Some chairs. The $25 Walmart ones that fit in a backpack are awesome. Take one with me to watch track events so I can just pull it out of backpack, setup anywhere and it's like a recliner

That was me smoking a lot. You did on a few laps but very little. Then that one lap, you killed all the mosquitoes in a 5 mile radius 😂

If I braked a little smoother, it wouldn't happen or if I was slower coming out of turn 10, same. But if I was going all out and slamming on the brakes, would happen every lap. I would've liked to have seen the look on that Miata's face. Lol.

I have a video of the 911 in front of me and after turn 2, her just gets on the throttle, the back end squats and he's off where I have two wait til turn 3 to start accelerating, otherwise you pull a Goat and go off 😁

Last edited:

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
I would add
torque wrench - I've had 2 lug bolts come almost all the way out after a session even though I had torqued them the day before. Now I retorque after first season

a bottle of oil - I think the pictures give the reason why. I've run low at COTA.

brake fluid - haven't needed it yet, but just in case.

Some chairs. The $25 Walmart ones that fit in a backpack are awesome. Take one with me to watch track events so I can just pull it out of backpack, setup anywhere and it's like a recliner

That was me smoking a lot. You did on a few laps but very little. Then that one lap, you killed all the mosquitoes in a 5 mile radius 😂

If I braked a little smoother, it wouldn't happen or if I was slower coming out of turn 10, same. But if I was going all out and slamming on the brakes, would happen every lap. I would've liked to have seen the look on that Miata's face. Lol.

I have a video of the 911 in front of me and after turn 2, her just gets on the throttle, the back end squats and he's off where I have two wait til turn 3 to start accelerating, otherwise you pull a Goat and go off 😁
All excellent amendments, as usual, my bearded comrade!

I re-torqued mine before session one, always out of paranoia and concern, but I forgot how much the intense heat from the scorched brake rotors can affect the torque on our wheel bolts.

I might also recommend a small rubber chock block, since we aren't supposed to use our parking brakes after each session, and I hate putting all that stress on the transmission/flywheel/park pawl.

I'll update my pack list in a day or so.

The Miata guy lost all hope on his lap after you [literally] crop dusted him... 😎 👀 🙃 😆

1686346314086.png

1686346346944.png

Last edited:

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Does this indicate a PCV failure, or just a design flaw where the PCV can't handle this kind of oil shift/inertia inside the crank case?

Asking to decide if a fresh OEM PCV is needed, or a consideration for a catch can.

Thanks, D.
It’s a designs feature. A new PCV plate won’t solve the issue.

The BL version of the plate has about a 50/50 fix and some catch cans are better than others.

I use a generic catch can from Turner Motorsports, it works well.