GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brightest Halogen bulbs?

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Hey guys. I've searched fir an answer to this and found multiple threads that don't fully answer the question so I thought I would ask again here. Im trying to avoid spending $100+ for an LED upgrade that will enevitably blind other drivers so I was curious if there's a brighter drop in 1:1 replacement to the existing halogens. Both high beams and low beams plus DRL's need updating and upgrading because it's tough to see at night. I have tue 2017 before the face lift so the classic halogens.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
FWIW, the DeAuto LEDs for our halogen housings don't blind people. They have a good cutoff and as long as you aim them properly, they're safe.

That being said, good data here for halogen bulbs:
https://www.bulbfacts.com/halogen-bulbs/chart/
https://www.bulbfacts.com/halogen-bulbs/recommended/

In general, avoid halogen bulbs with too much blue coating because that's just cutting the light output.
So do you have any links or specific models of the DeAutos? And I'll take a Look at the links!

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
I've always used Philips Xtreme Vision (the regular ones not the race version) in my halogen equipped cars and still do, I highly recommend them

Last edited:

wrongwheeldrive23

Go Kart Champion
Been running these no name bulns from Amazon for about 3 month. Honestly for 11$ they can't be beat. They're way better than the oem bulbs.
Voltage Automotive H7 Headlight Bulb Polarize White Replacement - Professional Upgrade For Low Beam High Beam Driving Fog Light (2 Pack) https://a.co/d/8t26sCI

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Osram Nightbreaker Laser.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Osram from Powerbulbs. They have a 6 months warranty so if it burns out under 6 months, you get another set for free.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I really think the main issues with the halogen housings are (1) the OEM bulbs are dim, and (2) they're usually not aimed well. The beam pattern on them is actually pretty good. After I put in better bulbs (and eventually the DeAuto LEDs) and re-aimed my headlights and fogs, the visibility is pretty good. Obviously not as good as projectors with 11ty lumen LEDs or HIDs, but I can see just fine when I drive at night now. Could it be better? Yes. But it's acceptable and no longer dangerous.

Aside from the big bug eyes looking kind of silly, it's a reliable setup without having to worry about a bunch of integrated components burning out and requiring expensive replacements (like the LP lights and LP reps).

(Copium for us poors)

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I really think the main issues with the halogen housings is (1) the OEM bulbs are dim, and (2) they're usually not aimed well. The beam pattern on them is actually pretty good. After I put in the DeAuto LEDs and re-aimed my headlights and fogs, the visibility is pretty good. Obviously not as good as projectors with 11ty lumen LEDs or HIDs, but I can see just fine when I drive at night now. Could it be better? Yes. But it's acceptable and no longer dangerous now.

Aside from the big bug eyes looking kind of silly, it's a reliable setup without having to worry about a bunch of integrated components burning out and requiring expensive replacements (like the LP lights and LP reps).

(Copium for the poors)
My first step was the Osram Nightbreaker over-driven halogens and aiming the housing up a touch. Worked fine really. Then the deAuto LED high/low/turns. Works fantastic but I did aim them back down a bit. I go back/forth on the rep housings but honestly, beyond looking cool/scene points....I don't think they are going to do much more w/r to lighting than what I have. If I did do them I'd do the Osrams I think...the BMP Illuminators went up enough in price that the difference is only a few '00 and I can't tell you how many folks have had issues with the cheaper reps. Again...look cool for sure.

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
<-- Had issues with cheaper reps.

And yeah, it's not hard to find experiences from folks who bought the expensive reps that have a DRL LED stop working after a couple of years. You almost never can fix that because the headlights are permaseal and the electronics are either integrated or a rat's nest of undocumented wiring.

Agreed on the OSRAMs. Barely $300 more than the BMPs.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
<-- Had issues with cheaper reps.

And yeah, it's not hard to find experiences from folks who bought the expensive reps that have a DRL LED stop working after a couple of years. You almost never can fix that because the headlights are permaseal and the electronics are either integrated or a rat's nest of undocumented wiring.

Agreed on the OSRAMs. Barely $300 more than the BMPs.
Also of note - I did lose one of my deAuto bulbs (fan). Quickly replaced with a complete new set for the cost of shipping. EAsy to change out (relatively vs. a rep) AND it isn't like you can't drop in a regular halogen bulb if needed. If the reps take a dump, your'e screwed and have to replace the housing while you wait for a replacement.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
So, like, when people say to buy the best, most expensive thing because "buy once, cry once," what we're saying is "buy less, cry less." 😂
Kinda! I think the Osrams would be fine but I've even read of issues with those. Just too bad the OEM lighting package stuff isn't an easy plug/play.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
LEDs in reflector housings are a recipe for disaster. Not to mention illegal. Stick to the brightest halogens from Philips or Sylvania and just resign yourself to replacing them yearly.