GOLFMKV

Brembo OEM+ brake setup

TheBlondeFella

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Let

Let's start with the Brembo caliper...

1. Relatively compact and lightweight design (2919grams)
Thats about 6.5lbs right?
Bearing in mind the TTS and Macan callipers are around 9 lb that's quite light. Whats the combined weight with the brackets though as the TTS & Macan don't need these?

sukeyes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK6
Thats about 6.5lbs right?
Bearing in mind the TTS and Macan callipers are around 9 lb that's quite light. Whats the combined weight with the brackets though as the TTS & Macan don't need these?

Congrats on the fair comparison... but this setup remains significantly lower despite the high tensile M12 bolts!! ;)

0-02-05-b991c4cc5a4ae5aeea72428a49ee6476a39769f140ed2cccef0a89e50d294ec8_dcb36c7dc84ce20.jpg

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
6.5lbs for the caliper plus 1.5lbs (.65 kg) for bracket/hardware is ~ 8lbs.

Lighter is lighter, but for anything less than the most demanding drivers I'm not sure 1lb per corner would be considered significant.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Didn't another vendor have failures on their brackets due to the aluminum alloy, and had to recall them and replace with steel? What testing went into those your brackets?

Last edited:

khail19

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Didn't another vendor have failures on their brackets due to the aluminum alloy, and had to recall them and replace with steel? What testing went into those brackets?

That was the VBT carriers for the TTRS calipers.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Didn't another vendor have failures on their brackets due to the aluminum alloy, and had to recall them and replace with steel? What testing went into those brackets?

+1

Not sure I like the concept of brackets as it feels like another failure point. Full disclosure, I have the Macan calipers.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
If you have to remove the caliper to change the pads, you might as well stick to the Audi TT-S 4pot ATE caliper. It might be slightly heavier than this Alfa caliper, but the disc used is the OEM 340mm so it will be lighter than the 360mm disc, & the whole lot is OEM bolt on for the MQB platform...

TheBlondeFella

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
If you have to remove the caliper to change the pads, you might as well stick to the Audi TT-S 4pot ATE caliper. It might be slightly heavier than this Alfa caliper, but the disc used is the OEM 340mm so it will be lighter than the 360mm disc, & the whole lot is OEM bolt on for the MQB platform...
100% agree with this comment.
I have the TTS callipers and they are great VFM for a 4 pot calliper and being designed for the MQB platform there are no issues with pedal feel or bleeding that the Macan callipers can sometime suffer from. This along without the requirement for separate hangers make them a very easy option to fit and use.
The downside is that you need to remove the caliper to change the pads. No big deal for me but can be for others. The only other downside is the relatively limited pad choice. There's enough choice for me (EBC, Endless, iSeep, Ferodo, Brembo, Carbotech Tarox etc.) but its not huge.
If I were to choose a calliper that required a hanger that would be a minus point for me so to balance that minus point the calliper would have to have the plus of top loading pads.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Brackets aren't inherently bad, they're very common on bigger brake kits, including some used by OEMs. VBT missed something or skipped proper FEA on their aluminum design, I think they overcorrected going to steel but I inspect mine regularly for signs of fatigue. You're at the mercy of trusting the engineers at small firms to design them properly though, versus the people at Brembo/AP/Stoptech.

The advantage to using a bracket like this over the TTS design is that it's a heck of a lot easier to torque a couple 40-50 ft-lb bolts on the caliper than to torque 150 ft-lb bolts on the back of the knuckle. The quick pin design is still way, way better from a convenience standpoint though.

Last edited:

sukeyes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK6
Didn't another vendor have failures on their brackets due to the aluminum alloy, and had to recall them and replace with steel? What testing went into those your brackets?

The fact that VBT had failures -for uknown reason- means that any caliper bracket is supposedly candidate to break?!?
A bracket can fail because of multiple reasons... "weak" design on critical structural points, material fatigue, overtightening etc.
We manufacture brake parts for more than 7 years. Our CAD design team has studied a lot from brackets supplied on Brembo, AP Racing & Alcon big brake kits, and we're not hunting to mill down a few more grams of material... trying to stay at the safe side...
Furthermore, we're only using grade A+ alloy, which is always engraved and available for anyone to verify...

313970985_562289539235665_7624636080226133384_n.jpg

In my humble opinion, using steel on caliper brackets... means 2-3 things...

1. Weakness on knowledge regarding structural design
2. Cut cost
3. inertia mass?? never heard before

sukeyes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK6

So... to your opinion, the fact you need to unbolt and torque down 2 bolts per side, when time comes to change brake pads...
is by far more important than stiffness achieved by this Brembo specific bridge!!!

Also, the MEB disc weighs ~as OEM 340... and this kit comes as a bolt on setup...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
So... to your opinion, the fact you need to unbolt and torque down 2 bolts per side, when time comes to change brake pads...
is by far more important than stiffness achieved by this Brembo specific bridge!!!

Also, the MEB disc weighs ~as OEM 340... and this kit comes as a bolt on setup...

Have you done a pressure/force test to try to force apart the Audi TT-S ATE 4 pot caliper?.....& done the same with the Alfa caliper in your kit & compared the results.....????

Also the 340mm disc is available in OEM VAG "2-piece" (Clubsport) which is lighter at only 9.8kg each..

The MK8 Golf R "360mm (356mm?)" "2-piece" OEM disc are 12.45 to 12.7kg each....

Reducing the rotational weight/mass is far better for handling than reducing the unsprung weight/mass...

The OEM 340mm disc size with 4-pot ATE caliper is a very good set-up..the only reason not to fit it is due to the person wanting to swap brake pads as they track their car on a regular basis....& for this they need "top-loading" pads/calipers...

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
The fact that VBT had failures -for uknown reason- means that any caliper bracket is supposedly candidate to break?!?

I never said that, I asked a question in relation to another known product, thats for a similar solution.

You’re way too defensive just because people aren’t jumping on your bandwagon over your new sales pitch.

Good luck though, maybe try Facebook.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I see they’re using the OE two left rotors like my Mk8 R. Interesting that they’re listed as 358x30, I suppose that’s a different application since Mk8R size is 357x34. But still the same hat design and directional setup, pity it’s only correct on one side. I’ll be switching to GiroDisc before tracking.

sukeyes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK6
I never said that, I asked a question in relation to another known product, thats for a similar solution.

You’re way too defensive just because people aren’t jumping on your bandwagon over your new sales pitch.

Good luck though, maybe try Facebook.
Way too defensive?? me?? not a chance...
You're feeling so sure about my way of thinking so you can express
your opinion about me??

No time for silly arguments here mate...

YOU have referred to alloy bracket failures... like it's a common case!
Now... that was a really misleading /annoying statement... and I responded with facts...