GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Breaking in a gti

SSnide

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Mk7ulf,

Somewhere around 1,000. That's what I stuck to. Keep the engine speeds varied in your driving. No full throttle starts. Don't bounce it off the redline. That's what I stuck to and all seems to be well. No noticeable oil consumption yet.

Leglessracing

Passed Driver's Ed
To be honest, with new oils being developed and new manufacturing techniques you don't really need to break them in. 2 schools of thought on the subject... Take it easy for 1000 miles or drive it hard. It's up to you. All my race engines are taken hard straight away and often out last competitors who break in their engines slowly

Stueck9356

Ready to race!
I still run mine in slowly. After all, I have the manual and (I think) everyone will agree you should break in a clutch softly for the first 500 miles.

crzyskimer93

Ready to race!
I personally keep it to the old techniques why change something if it still works breaking in for first thousand has seemed to work for me. So, with that said I'm only at 700 only 300 more to go about 1 week :)

Henrysan

I am at 650 miles, and have started to drive it harder, a few pulls to 4.5-5k rpm. I do not see any oil consumption yet.

slush.puppie

Ready to race!
according to the manual from my wife's car, which i was reading (yes, i'm a blast at parties), the break-in period is 1,000 miles, with the recommendation from 0-600 you go easy, don't rev high, or drive hard, however from 600-1,000 they say you can start revving higher and driving a bit more spirited.

MrCypherr

Passed Driver's Ed
I've driven it at different speeds and styles. Some days I'll drive it soft and other days for like 10 minutes ill drive it hard but not for long. Keep in mind I'm at 800kms which is around 500 miles.

GeoBog

Ready to race!
Personally I drove it easy for the first 1000 miles. For the first 700-800 miles haven't gone above 3000rpm and for the last 200 miles gradually increased rpm and speed. Also tried to avoid motorways cruising or using ACC as much as possible and was going through all gears at different rpm.

After passing the 1000 mile threshold I gave it the beans. There is no better feeling than popping it into Sport and putting the foot down.

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Well done slush.puppie.

The answer to this old chestnut which comes up boringly regularly on any forum is RTFM.

And as for racing, an engine builder assembled his engine dry. He reckoned that by the time the oil reached all the bearing surfaces after starting the engine for the first time, it was all bedded in and needed no more.

dimitri_92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07' Ram 3500 *4Sale
I wanted to change the oil at 1000 but haven't had any time with work. Currently at 1400 miles.