GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Branch Fell on my Car Last Night

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
Excellent advice, even if you don't go from $1k to $100, dropping it down to $500 should be about $1-2/month extra for Comp.

cb1111

I've calculated that I need a new windshield every 5 years or so. A modern windshield with the current assistive features costs about $700 for the GTI.

With the $52 extra premium each year, my extra premiums over 5 years are $260. Add the deductible and a windshield costs me $360 - so a bit over half.

YMMV of course, but you need to call your insurance company and ask - before you need it.

Jeffapotamus

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI
Since this is damage from a tree in your yard it might be homeowner's insurance. If you know your insurance agent it wouldn't hurt to call and ask without filing a claim. I know my agent would tell me what was in my best interests.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Since this is damage from a tree in your yard it might be homeowner's insurance. If you know your insurance agent it wouldn't hurt to call and ask without filing a claim. I know my agent would tell me what was in my best interests.
Great advice. Forgot about that.

Amaster85

Passed Driver's Ed
I appreciate all the advice about insurance however it is a tricky situations because I still live with my parents and the car is under their insurance policy due to cost being twice as much if I were on my own.

So just to give an update I ordered AliExpress mirrors from a seller I purchased parts for my mib2 retrofit that were extremely high quality and surprised me. I’m hoping the mirrors are the same way. Shipped to me it was $250 with fedex priority and should be here in a week. I ordered door modules from ebay for $30 a side and also ordered the same dynamic turn indicators I had from AliExpress also. All in cost for what I have ordered so far appears to be $320 including taxes.

I will be getting in contact with a pdr guy early this week. If anyone is in the westchester NY area and knows of a high quality PDR Guy let me know, I found someone who’s work looks exceptional on Instagram and his website. Couple that with the damage being on the fender just above the wheel well I don’t think it will be too tough. The person I’m going to contact is “PDRNY” he has exceptional google reviews and Instagram feedback and just in general way more feedback than anyone else in my area.

I have wanted to upgrade the mirrors for a while now so this serves as my excuse to do it.

I will however ask him to see how much more it would cost to lower our deductible because even though it seems like this might be just over $500 everything said and done it’s still a pretty big hit that I wish I didn’t have to spend. If my deductible was $100 I would’ve dropped it off to get fixed by now. Another concern is the raising of the rates for us as that would obviously effect everyone’s rates not just mine.

cb1111

I appreciate all the advice about insurance however it is a tricky situations because I still live with my parents and the car is under their insurance policy due to cost being twice as much if I were on my own.

So just to give an update I ordered AliExpress mirrors from a seller I purchased parts for my mib2 retrofit that were extremely high quality and surprised me. I’m hoping the mirrors are the same way. Shipped to me it was $250 with fedex priority and should be here in a week. I ordered door modules from ebay for $30 a side and also ordered the same dynamic turn indicators I had from AliExpress also. All in cost for what I have ordered so far appears to be $320 including taxes.

I will be getting in contact with a pdr guy early this week. If anyone is in the westchester NY area and knows of a high quality PDR Guy let me know, I found someone who’s work looks exceptional on Instagram and his website. Couple that with the damage being on the fender just above the wheel well I don’t think it will be too tough. The person I’m going to contact is “PDRNY” he has exceptional google reviews and Instagram feedback and just in general way more feedback than anyone else in my area.

I have wanted to upgrade the mirrors for a while now so this serves as my excuse to do it.

I will however ask him to see how much more it would cost to lower our deductible because even though it seems like this might be just over $500 everything said and done it’s still a pretty big hit that I wish I didn’t have to spend. If my deductible was $100 I would’ve dropped it off to get fixed by now. Another concern is the raising of the rates for us as that would obviously effect everyone’s rates not just mine.
Comprehensive claims (since they are not considered your fault) will not negatively affect your rates - but - that is all water under the bridge for you as it would be illegal to lower you deductible after an incident and then file your claim

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Comprehensive claims (since they are not considered your fault) will not negatively affect your rates - but - that is all water under the bridge for you as it would be illegal to lower you deductible after an incident and then file your claim
What about his homeowners policy?

Amaster85

Passed Driver's Ed

This was what I thought too (would not effect the rate) but if I can get it fixed for around $500 or a little less then it wouldn’t matter for this incident anyways. I have no intentions on filing a claim for this.

What about his homeowners policy?

A possibility, but most homeowner's policies have a higher deductible. Mine, for example is $5k.

But it is certainly covered.

The other question is - did it come from his tree or somebody else's?

I believe you got this right, I mentioned homeowners insurance and my dad said definitely not, I’ll assume the dudctible is way higher than a $500.

Also definitely our tree, however it is now gone we spent a few hours yesterday cutting it down and cutting it up. Since it appeared to have a lot of dead limbs.

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
Sometimes Mother Nature isn't kind to VWs. Tree got me as I was headed to work a few years ago... Insurance covered close to $7000. Glad I had $100 comprehensive deductable.

smashpic2.jpg