GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake disc rust

danielmckendry

Ready to race!
Is there a way to clean the rust off brake discs? I know its inevitable, they are going to rust but its a bit of an eye sore, everythings sparkly clean, the alloys are gleaming, then you have these discs in behind with spots of rust. When i say clean, i mean an easy way without removing the wheel or lifting the car as i have no way to do either. But there is plenty of room between the wheel spokes to get my hand in and give a good clean if i knew what to use. I think my bilt-hamber spray alloy cleaner has sprayed on them a bit and sped up the process in those sprayed areas

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
If you're talking about the surface of the disks.. just go for a drive..! I wouldn't touch the braking surface with anything other than a brake pad, ever.
If you're talking about the hub and surrounding metalwork that's open to debate. I don't know how best to clean it off (just scrub it, really!) but a light coating of copper grease will keep it from rusting again.

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
A zinc coating on the rotors keep from this rust build up for a little while before it wears off.

Other than than, just drive it, but that brings up another issue of dirtying the wheels... what a never ending process, right?