GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Boys, what do you think about the new M2

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
I’ve been shopping for my next GT empty nest sled. Test drove lots of 718s, C8s and the Emira (once on invite) and they’ve all failed me:
718s: stupid 5k increase for FOUR cylinders, no more T
Emira: 15k increase and emiraforum filled with random mechanical gremlins driving off hethel grounds + the AMG 4 is rumored to have cooling issues F that
C8: I LOVE the HTC but I’m 59. I keep cars 8-10 years, I’d be just another old douche in a vette the day I brought it home
So after all that I said F it, I’ll buy a Golf R, throw 10k EQT on it and done, perfect car I could park overnight in Philly, road-trip to CA, generally worry free perfect GT.
So with that as the baseline, I started a “what else does what a Golf R does” search.
Never considered the M2 cause I thought it’d be 80k. It’s 68k as I’d spec it LOADED, wait is 18 months, it’d never see the track. So bros, your thoughts on specs, value and looks please.
cheers Rick
ive attached 2 opposing reviews for your pleasure. I’d spec the sweet blue w black wheels, auto ZF
pro
con
Sat in this blue car Thursday, super comfy (union park)

Last edited:

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
I’ve been looking at similar cars, thanks for posting.

@MSH Would you happen to have an opinion that you’re willing to share?

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
Lowered with square 20s

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
Lol it’s a bit polarizing but I really dig it

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
F87 M2 Comp owner so I'm biased - when the G87 was unveiled I about puked. I've now seen it in the flesh and it's much less jarring to my eye in person, but I'm still not a fan of the styling. It's also substantially heavier, has zero headroom in the back seat for normal-sized adults (unlike the F87), and has the ugly "curved screen" gigantic iPad perched on the dash on stilts. Those are all big negatives to me. On the plus side, the interior materials are significantly better than the F87's, the Harman Kardon sound system is better than the old one, it has a lot more tech if that's your thing.

I've had my F87 for 2 years and I love it as much as the day I brought it home. If the M2 interests you, I'd look at all the options - OG M2, Comp, G87, even the F87 CS if it's not out of your price range. All fantastic cars IMHO, all bring different things to the table.

Another great look that just came out..

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
I don't like the look of this model BMW like most people. But I have seen the new body kit by precision sports and I feel it looks better.

Screenshot_20230425-225738.jpg

The black inserts definitely help.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
I’ve been looking at similar cars, thanks for posting.

@MSH Would you happen to have an opinion that you’re willing to share?

I do!........I think the G87 is terrible looking. Even the G8x M3/M4's kind of grew on me a touch even with the elephant grille but this G87 no f**king way I ever like that thing. Its just a pig from every angle IMO....and BTW it's literally a pig...almost 4k lbs for an M2?? thats nuts.
I love BMW and have owned one of the more polarizing BMW's when it comes to styling (M Coupe...aka Clownshoe), but man BMW really does some crazy ass shit with their design aesthetic with some of their cars. I have wanted a manual F87 M2C for a long time but wasn't willing to pay the comically insane Covid pricing on them used, so I hung on to my Golf R longer than I anticipated. I still paid more than I would have liked for mine (which finally arrived from FL about 3 weeks ago), but I love it. The F87 looks fantastic and is still old school BMW in so many ways in a modern variant.

Here is my F87 M2C next to a brand new G87 at the FL dealership the previous owner worked at before it was shipped to me....

image000002.jpg

Last edited:

SaucyMuffin

Go Kart Newbie
I’ve been shopping for my next GT empty nest sled. Test drove lots of 718s, C8s and the Emira (once on invite) and they’ve all failed me:
718s: stupid 5k increase for FOUR cylinders, no more T
Emira: 15k increase and emiraforum filled with random mechanical gremlins driving off hethel grounds + the AMG 4 is rumored to have cooling issues F that
C8: I LOVE the HTC but I’m 59. I keep cars 8-10 years, I’d be just another old douche in a vette the day I brought it home
So after all that I said F it, I’ll buy a Golf R, throw 10k EQT on it and done, perfect car I could park overnight in Philly, road-trip to CA, generally worry free perfect GT.
So with that as the baseline, I started a “what else does what a Golf R does” search.
Never considered the M2 cause I thought it’d be 80k. It’s 68k as I’d spec it LOADED, wait is 18 months, it’d never see the track. So bros, your thoughts on specs, value and looks please.
cheers Rick
ive attached 2 opposing reviews for your pleasure. I’d spec the sweet blue w black wheels, auto ZF
pro
con
Sat in this blue car Thursday, super comfy (union park)
So based on what you said, you threw out the idea of a Golf R, and I'd assume DSG since you're wanting an auto M2. Golf R, AWD, why don't you save a few bucks and go m240i xdrive? No track days so that's not a problem. B58 has tons of potential. Plus, the G42 isn't as "polarizing" as the new M2. Just an idea.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
M4 > M2.

M2 is very busy comparatively & far less comfortable.

You aren't finding a new G82 M4 for the budget the OP is looking at. Even a base M4 in a manual you are spending north of $80k

"Never considered the M2 cause I thought it’d be 80k. It’s 68k as I’d spec it LOADED, wait is 18 months, it’d never see the track. So bros, your thoughts on specs, value and looks please."

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
I don't like the look of this model BMW like most people. But I have seen the new body kit by precision sports and I feel it looks better.

View attachment 280223
The black inserts definitely help.
Yep I’d get those inserts, nothing else from the M catalog. Some strange tack on options, weird

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
F87 m2 is so sexy. G87….why did they go so square in the design??? I’d still love to drive them both back to back to get a good comparison. I also don’t understand why they added so much weight. Isn’t the 2 series supposed to be the old 1 series (light, nimble, simple and pure)? I’ll admit that I’ve always been a fan of M cars but certainly not knowledgeable or experienced in owning/ driving. Based on looks alone, I’d definitely want the F87.

fwiw, I have a friend with a tuned m240 and it was just a hair faster than my r when we had a casual roll on the hwy.

Reactions: MSH

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
So based on what you said, you threw out the idea of a Golf R, and I'd assume DSG since you're wanting an auto M2. Golf R, AWD, why don't you save a few bucks and go m240i xdrive? No track days so that's not a problem. B58 has tons of potential. Plus, the G42 isn't as "polarizing" as the new M2. Just an idea.
Oddly I hate this look