GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Boss 500 Project

importrx7

Ready to race!
I'm sure some of you remember me asking for help when my 17 R decided to start running rough and no boost, which turned out to be a blown turbo.

After weighing all the options between Boss kit, Hybrid Build, Less Known Brand Turbo, or factory rebuild. I decided to pick up a CTS Boss 500 kit since they were on sale. The reason for the Boss kit over the others was Garrett's reputation/reliability, dual ball bearings, power output and price wasn't bad. Reliability was the biggest reason! I didn't want to buy another IS38 and have it blow on me again after a year, or do a hybrid which seems like a band-aid and pushing the limits of the IS38 housings. The lesser known companies that are releasing turbos for the platform, the biggest issue i had there was i didn't know if i could trust the turbo long term. I'm sure there are some quality kits but i didn't want to find out the hard way.

Removing the IS38 was an interesting job, its not that its that difficult just things are difficult to get to when you are doing it in your garage. I would recommend taking your time and making sure you've got plenty of tools. Removing the coolant fitting from the back of the turbo is a pain, i recommend getting yourself some Torx keys on the bottom bolt for clearance reasons. The top bolt is even worse its a 8mm triple square, a 6mm allen will work. I had a 6mm allen bit for a drill that i put in the bolt and then used a small open end wrench that would fit on the bit to break it loose. The oil lines that go into the engine block are a complete nightmare, getting to the triple square bolts is difficult and then removing the lines is awful. Patience, lots of wiggling and keep pulling eventually they will come out.

Once i got the turbo out of the car the shaft play was nasty and defintely is a complete gone turbo. I imagine the shaft is snapped and everything is destroyed inside of it.

Heres a nice video of the damage https://youtu.be/nDIfCmJlauw

I've included some pictures of the progress thus far, it sure looks strange with no turbo in the car.

I plan to use this thread to keep documenting the progress as i go along. Hopefully the turbo kit gets here by next week but my guess is its two weeks out from arriving.

Attachments

• IMG_7918.JPG
    IMG_7918.JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 2,502
  • IMG_7920.jpg
    IMG_7920.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 2,457
  • IMG_7919.jpg
    IMG_7919.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 2,444
Last edited:

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I’m glad it worked out, at the end you are going to have a very fast car man, what is the outcome hp/torque of the Boss 500?

importrx7

Ready to race!
Still waiting on the kit to come in but plan on updating as I go

Calubi

Ready to race!
Are you going to run stock fueling or upgraded pumps? What are you doing for tuning?

Thanks for sharing the experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

importrx7

Ready to race!
Are you going to run stock fueling or upgraded pumps? What are you doing for tuning?

Thanks for sharing the experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As of right now I’m going to stick with stock fueling. Since all the kits are just coming out, Eurodyne just started supporting it, I don’t feel like being a guinea pig. Once all the bugs are worked out I’ll probably be doing some sort of fuel upgrade.

Calubi

Ready to race!
Who is doing your tuning?

importrx7

Ready to race!
i like garrett but not very fond of anything CTS makes. what part of this kit is made by CTS?

I believe the exhaust housing of the turbo and possibly the fittings. The actual turbo is a Garrett

importrx7

Ready to race!
Turbo is set to arrive Friday!!!! Been doing some research and it looks like it’s a good idea to get some longer lines for the coolant because they are a tight fit. Also plan on extending the harness to the DV to same myself from buying CTS DV for 200. Hopefully will have the car up and going here in a few weeks. I’ll post some side by side of the Boss vs the IS38 when it comes in.

Calubi

Ready to race!
Looking forward to the results! PM me if you want a helping hand; I'm in the Columbus area, too, and would love to see this beauty. :)

importrx7

Ready to race!
Looking forward to the results! PM me if you want a helping hand; I'm in the Columbus area, too, and would love to see this beauty. :)

I might take you up on that offer cause I’m sure this will be a fun install.

importrx7

Ready to race!
I’ve never been able to find an answer if you could run the wastegate tests with an obdeleven. I got my obdeleven back from a friend who had it to test it and sure enough it is right there. Saves me from having to rent a cable and is good info for anyone doing a turbo swap of some sort.

Attachments

• 85B6F40E-B99C-4D9E-B637-1283CD3B7A69.jpeg
    85B6F40E-B99C-4D9E-B637-1283CD3B7A69.jpeg
    334.3 KB · Views: 2,034