GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Boot (trunk) light permanently on....

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Boot (trunk) light permanently on....

The car was backed up close to a wall last night - I had left a bag in the boot so went in to the boot compartment via the folding seats to retrieve it (rather than moving the car). I noticed that the interior boot light was on but dimmer than usual - interesting I thought.

So I closed the car door, sat on the back seat and waited for the courtesy lights to go out - expecting the boot light to go off also - but it stayed on! Admittedly it is dimmed but this cant be right. I have changed the bulb for an LED (six months ago) but cant think this would make any difference.

Thoughts?

FormerRocco

Passed Driver's Ed
I think you are noticing this because you have installed an LED bulb. As LED bulbs are so much more efficient than regular ones, it only takes a few volts to light them. So it may be that there are a few volts trickling through the bulb (or proximity to a live wire.?) that is causing the bulb to glow when it would not in a regular bulb.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to explain this better!

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for that - interesting theory! Well as long as its not going to drain the battery....

There was a reference to this in the "Cosmetic Changes" section, which was answered by a seller of canbus led's, claiming that his product fixed it. I'll see if I can find it.

Mine (fitted with a normal led) does the same, by the way.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Thanks T-t thats brilliant.... now I know why. I will monitor it but I guess if it has not been a problem after six months then there is not too much of a power drain to worry about.... hopefully anyway!

ModfydGTI

Ready to race!
I have the same problem in my vehicle. I figured out after arming your factory alarm, it turns completely off. But there is some dimm lighting within my headlight switch that NEVER goes away. It's very very dim, but none the less there.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Ah right thanks for that info....

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
I will monitor it but I guess if it has not been a problem after six months then there is not too much of a power drain to worry about.... hopefully anyway!
Why not refitting the original bulb and see if it switches off?
It'd just take 5 minutes.

;)

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Hi Bruce - an earlier poster says it turns off when the alarm is activated. As I have the factory alarm and always have it activated when the car is parked I am assuming he is right :)

ModfydGTI

Ready to race!
Hi Bruce - an earlier poster says it turns off when the alarm is activated. As I have the factory alarm and always have it activated when the car is parked I am assuming he is right :)
I sat in my car with the seat folded down. I saw that my LED does the same thing and then I armed the alarm (with me in the car). It completely went away. Do the same with your car and it should do the same. I noticed however, it stays on while driving just as the front kick panel lights do.