GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Boost Leak after air intake removal?

wabbitmike

Car(s)
2015 VW Golf TSI
Hey everyone, I'm new here to the forum.
I am having an issue with my 2015 1.8t golf that I can't seem to pinpoint.
A month ago I finally pulled the trigger on getting an APR stage 1 tune. The car ran great no issues, loved how the car accelerated so easily.

2 weeks ago I decided to swap out my stock air box system with an Injen intake. After taking the stock air box out I didn't realize that I needed a breather filter for the SAI since the new intake tube didn't have the connection. So I reinstalled the air box and made sure the vacuum line, SAI, intake tube, and clamps were on correctly.

Had to go out so took my car and didn't notice anything wrong since I was driving at low speeds. It wasn't until I got onto the on the hwy on ramp and tried to accelerate to feel the power of the tune that I noticed that the car was underpowered and didn't accelerate as quickly as it should. I couldn't hear any boost noise in the first and second gear until I shifted into third. While I was on the hwy in fifth gear at about 2.5k rpm I pressed the gas to pick up some speed and heard the turbo spuddering before it would pick up any speed.

Besides the car being underpowered it runs fine with no CEL. The car ran great right before I removed and reinstalled the air box and I couldn't find anything loose around it. Since then I have only driven the car a few times as I am working from home.

Any ideas on what it could be? I have an appointment with a shop next week to check out the issue but wanted to see if I can fix it to avoid the shop charging me to find the problem.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I don't think anything done for an intake install could cause a boost leak. Nothing in the intake side is pressurized.

wabbitmike

Car(s)
2015 VW Golf TSI
So quick update.

I installed the Injen intake with an Integrated Engineering filter for the SAI. Also, I upgraded my spark plus to RS7 plugs and gapped them to .024 (per APR requirements).

With the new intake on I can hear the spooling of the turbo in every gear but I’m still hearing some spuddering when the car is trying to get up to speed as it’s still underpowered.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Still no codes? Sputtering and low spool up could be the diverter valve or the wastegate actuator. Would likely get a code if either had a problem though.