GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Boost controlled water meth setup

vwGTILife

Go Kart Newbie
I am planning to spray water/meth 50/50 post intercooler for cooling effects to drop IAT's. I am looking at the snowperformance stage 2/2.5 kits, does anyone have experience with these kits for a similar setup?

I see that alot of the mk6 guys suggest Aquamist as being the go to brand and that it is superior because it does not control the spray off of boost but rather controls it according to fueling. Since I am only looking for the cooling effects I am thinking that controlling the spray by boost is sufficient enough for the application.

Just looking to get some feedback from people who are spraying meth on this platform.

Thanks

vwGTILife

Go Kart Newbie

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I had a devils own but it wasn’t on a vw

don’t let the pump go dry. Inspect your lines and fittings. You’ll be fine

though it seems easier to just upgrade your intercooler

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yeah, a boost controlled setup
Works perfectly fine go our uses with pre throttle body nozzle(s), mk6 guys running direct port meth for supplemental fueling like the added features of the aquamist controller that can incorporate fuel flow from you ECU.

Any of the boost controlled options will do - The snow performance/aem/or even simple Hobbs switch setup.

I’m running the Aem Controller with the aem fail safe, on a dual nozzle setup with one pre-IC and one post IC.

vwGTILife

Go Kart Newbie
Sweet, thanks guys. Yeah im considering the bms setup now too if i can get the boost failsafe sorted out with the jb4 so it will run safe over my stage 2 tune.

vwGTILife

Go Kart Newbie
I had a devils own but it wasn’t on a vw

don’t let the pump go dry. Inspect your lines and fittings. You’ll be fine

though it seems easier to just upgrade your intercooler
Yeah I have the G-plus twintercooler on now, I did some pulls with the ac off and it is fairing quite a bit better. I still need to log it but I see tempts 10-15 degrees over ambient depending on how hot it is outside. It seems on some days when its 85-90 degrees out the iat's seem to creep up some, but it still seems to be doing pretty decent.

The main thing is the other night when it was about 70 degrees out and I loaded my eqt stage 2 E30 tune for the first time, and man it felt like it pulled so hard that first pull I did. I did a pull a day or two later when it was 85 or so out and it just didnt feel the same. Im looking to get consistant iats, timing, tq and hp etc. from my tune and thus the reason I am looking to go the water meth rout.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Yeah I have the G-plus twintercooler on now, I did some pulls with the ac off and it is fairing quite a bit better. I still need to log it but I see tempts 10-15 degrees over ambient depending on how hot it is outside. It seems on some days when its 85-90 degrees out the iat's seem to creep up some, but it still seems to be doing pretty decent.

The main thing is the other night when it was about 70 degrees out and I loaded my eqt stage 2 E30 tune for the first time, and man it felt like it pulled so hard that first pull I did. I did a pull a day or two later when it was 85 or so out and it just didnt feel the same. Im looking to get consistant iats, timing, tq and hp etc. from my tune and thus the reason I am looking to go the water meth rout.
Gotcha. 10-15f over ambient is solid as hell!

vwGTILife

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah, a boost controlled setup
Works perfectly fine go our uses with pre throttle body nozzle(s), mk6 guys running direct port meth for supplemental fueling like the added features of the aquamist controller that can incorporate fuel flow from you ECU.

Any of the boost controlled options will do - The snow performance/aem/or even simple Hobbs switch setup.

I’m running the Aem Controller with the aem fail safe, on a dual nozzle setup with one pre-IC and one post IC.
I have seen a mixed consensus about going the pre intercooler rout for spraying meth; im wondering what your opinion is on how effective it is and what made you decide to use that method. Im still trying to figure out how I want my setup to be.

vwGTILife

Go Kart Newbie
Gotcha. 10-15f over ambient is solid as hell!
yeah for sure, like I said the numbers seem to go up a little bit when its over 85 out but so far im pleased with this intercooler. Its hard to beat for $300 and a relatively easy instal IMO.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I have seen a mixed consensus about going the pre intercooler rout for spraying meth; im wondering what your opinion is on how effective it is and what made you decide to use that method. Im still trying to figure out how I want my setup to be.
when I first did the meth I did a 500cc nozzle in the post IC charge pipe, then added a second 500cc nozzle pre IC, and right now I’m rebuilding some lines and setup to run the engine bay side all with AN line so I’m back to the single nozzle Post IC and honestly I really didn’t see any reductions in IATs while on the single nozzle, lol. Edit: to clarify this - going single (temporary) from dual nozzle I didn’t see and negative effects *iat wise vs dual nozzle.

When it’s 100 out I can hit IATs in the 80s haha

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
when I first did the meth I did a 500cc nozzle in the post IC charge pipe, then added a second 500cc nozzle pre IC, and right now I’m rebuilding some lines and setup to run the engine bay side all with AN line so I’m back to the single nozzle Post IC and honestly I really didn’t see any reductions in IATs while on the single nozzle, lol.

Witchcraft

vwGTILife

Go Kart Newbie
when I first did the meth I did a 500cc nozzle in the post IC charge pipe, then added a second 500cc nozzle pre IC, and right now I’m rebuilding some lines and setup to run the engine bay side all with AN line so I’m back to the single nozzle Post IC and honestly I really didn’t see any reductions in IATs while on the single nozzle, lol. Edit: to clarify this - going single (temporary) from dual nozzle I didn’t see and negative effects *iat wise vs dual nozzle.

Nice! Yeah ive been studying different setups on the forums and at this point I plan to do a dual nozzle post intercooler setup by tapping the silicone piping. I have a bi-cooler setup so im thinking of tapping the piping right after each intercooler with smaller nozzles possibly cm2’s in an attempt to reach optimal atomization. Two cm2’s would put it around 360cc so i am interested to see if that will be sufficient to net the cooling results intended. Ill just have to experiment around with it and see what works.

yeah i really dont believe that an intercooler could achieve iats of 20 below ambient like you reached with the water meth! Another reason i feel inclined to go this rout, i want to feel as close to the full power of my tune as a can as often as possible.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Careful tapping the flexible hose. It can pop the bung out. The silicone weakens a good deal when you perforate it.

Also, the the record, i just replaced my second throttle body last week.

I'm pretty certain that the meth and the boost pressure gets into the butterfly bearings. I spray with one nozzle in the intercooler outlet. Using the snow controller. I probably just need to go with a smaller nozzle. I haven't tinkered with it in a while.