GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS Intercooler

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
So at this price ($379) I might just go for it. Although, I am also thinking of getting an ebay twintercooler. I wonder which performs better? The twintercooler offers an easier install which appeals to me, but might not perform as well.

The BMS seems like a quality unit on par with the Unitronic or APR offerings, aside from the minor fitment issues.

What’s the better choice for value/performance ratio?

Of course I'm biased but at $379 the BMS setup is the best value out there. Overall cooling performance and throttle response is going to be a lot better than a twin intercooler setup and while it's a little more work to install, it's a lot cleaner looking when done.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Is there an easy way to see if the radiator we have is the one that doesn’t clip in?

Also any benefit to running this IC when all else is stock?

I'm sure there is but we don't have enough reference photos yet to provide details on that. Adjusting the mount will definitely be sorted before we do the second batch. Rather than doing two part numbers we will likely make the openings large enough to accomidate both radiator types.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
How long is the $379 price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
In my opinion, except for the Magic/Majesty, the BMS is the best performance for the value.

eBay twintercooler will be cheaper and easier to install, probably won't perform as well but unless you are running big numbers it will be good enough.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

No big numbers here, so the twintercooler would probably be enough. But, for a $100 more I won’t be 2nd guessing myself if I get the BMS.

I think I may do this. Not really looking forward to taking apart the front end though. That was half my reasoning for the FMIC, plus the look is cool.

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
Of course I'm biased but at $379 the BMS setup is the best value out there. Overall cooling performance and throttle response is going to be a lot better than a twin intercooler setup and while it's a little more work to install, it's a lot cleaner looking when done.

Ok, I am in. Ordered! Bye Bye paypal balance:D

racerx20

Ready to race!
This will definitely be my next purchase.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
How long is the $379 price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're going to run that price until the first batch is done, there are around 30 left. And then for the next batch we'll nail the mounting tab and bring the price back up to $499 which is still a very good value for what you get.

Also anyone who paid $499 for the first batch don't forget to contact BMS for your refund. We don't want any unhappy customers out there. :)

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI

When you say "overall cooling performance and throttle response is going to be a lot better than a twin intercooler setup..." how would I measure my setup to compare with someone with the BMS IC to illustrate how much better their IC performs?

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
When you say "overall cooling performance and throttle response is going to be a lot better than a twin intercooler setup..." how would I measure my setup to compare with someone with the BMS IC to illustrate how much better their IC performs?

Typically starting IAT vs ending in a run. WGDC can be looked at as well to compare the twin set up vs a single unit.

Originally back in day I ran the Forge Twin cooler and it worked well but I noticed under heavy driving the water temps would go up as well as the air con was less efficient. I switch out to a Forge rear mount and IAT remained the same but the spool up was quite a bit faster in comparison as well as the water and aircon issues where solved. This will obviously vary on different front mounts as the pass through of the cores vary as well.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
Typically starting IAT vs ending in a run. WGDC can be looked at as well to compare the twin set up vs a single unit.

Originally back in day I ran the Forge Twin cooler and it worked well but I noticed under heavy driving the water temps would go up as well as the air con was less efficient. I switch out to a Forge rear mount and IAT remained the same but the spool up was quite a bit faster in comparison as well as the water and aircon issues where solved. This will obviously vary on different front mounts as the pass through of the cores vary as well.

Starting at what engine speed and in what gear? At what engine speed do you end? What turbo and boost level is this measured with?

For the throttle response, how are you measuring that? I'm interested in what specifically is being done so I can repeat the process.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Starting at what engine speed and in what gear? At what engine speed do you end? What turbo and boost level is this measured with?

For the throttle response, how are you measuring that? I'm interested in what specifically is being done so I can repeat the process.

Its not something easy to bench test or even on the road as the conditions will not be the same.

The longer the pull the more data you will have. i.e if you starts the run at 50F in second at a fixed speed and by the end of fourth the one cooler is at 79F and the other is at 73F you can see which works better assuming ambient and load is the same. (hard to do back to back)
Spool up speed is more about feel.
Another parameter that can be checked is how fast the intake temp is cooled after letting off, this is something that will interest circuit drivers.

ALE 5six1

Ready to race!

At that price I couldnt say no either!

I'll be putting together a review for everyone. What do you guys want to see? I have a OBDEleven and JB4. So I planned on doing logs the night before on the stock cooler, and then again after the install. Was going to do multiple 2nd to 4th gear pulls back to back to show heat soak.

I could possibly get some quarter mile runs before and after, but that wouldn't be able to be 24 hours within one another.

Last edited:

ALE 5six1

Ready to race!

MyGolfMk7 I know you are the stats guy. What comparisons do you want, between stock and BMS cooler? Water volume test maybe?