GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blackened PP brakes

morricus

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI
Hey Morricus - NiceGuySanti here from the Evo forums - I just picked up a 2020 GTi this past Monday and had it out for it's virgin runs on track over the weekend at Pocono - Mega and North circuits. I did experience a similar thing, when I pulled back to the paddock the front brakes were billowing smoke on my 3rd and 4th sessions of the day. I did not experience any brake loss or fade but it definitely stayed on my mind. Thank goodness that I swapped to Motul 600 prior to hitting the track on the car which was stock except for the RE-71R's. I know that I would have boiled off the brake fluid if I didn't swap it out. I just ordered a set of RS-3 ducts and some lighter wheels to help stave off brake issues. I hope this car doesn't end up like the Evo which really suffered from brake problems with the OEM brakes.
Hey, good to hear from you. Great minds think alike! I was certainly familiar with the Evo "blackbos", but that was a slow fading into a dark black. The GTI brakes just scorched right from the get-go. The Evos brakes were light years ahead of these.....they'll be ok for a while, but you can only do so much with a single piston sliding caliper. Stock pads? You're braver than I sir.

N.G.S.

Ready to race!
Hey, good to hear from you. Great minds think alike! I was certainly familiar with the Evo "blackbos", but that was a slow fading into a dark black. The GTI brakes just scorched right from the get-go. The Evos brakes were light years ahead of these.....they'll be ok for a while, but you can only do so much with a single piston sliding caliper. Stock pads? You're braver than I sir.
The car barely had 500 miles on it as I pulled up to the track, they pads had lots of meat on them. I brought along a spare set of EBC yellows just in case but I checked the pads frequently and they were still within spec even after 260 miles on track for the 2 days. It's funny but I have learned that the more seat time you have the less brakes you use. On my Evo and currently on my Grand Sport I use Raybestos ST43 pads and I swear by them, unfortunately they are considered custom order from Raybestos and because of this they are pricey so I will give the yellows a shot (FCP Euro FTW). I really do not plan on tracking the GTi a whole lot as it is my commuter but I can tell you that it was really nice on track. It really has good manners and loves to wag it's tail with the right input. I was totally impressed.

morricus

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI
The car barely had 500 miles on it as I pulled up to the track, they pads had lots of meat on them. I brought along a spare set of EBC yellows just in case but I checked the pads frequently and they were still within spec even after 260 miles on track for the 2 days. It's funny but I have learned that the more seat time you have the less brakes you use. On my Evo and currently on my Grand Sport I use Raybestos ST43 pads and I swear by them, unfortunately they are considered custom order from Raybestos and because of this they are pricey so I will give the yellows a shot (FCP Euro FTW). I really do not plan on tracking the GTi a whole lot as it is my commuter but I can tell you that it was really nice on track. It really has good manners and loves to wag it's tail with the right input. I was totally impressed.
I'm with you on the ST43. By far my favorite pad on the Evo. Its very unfortunate you cannot get them for the GTI. Perhaps I'll try to find a BBK down the road that allows for the ST43. But suspension, oil pan, radiator and other misc are next in line.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
Remind me not to buy these when you list them in marketplace after you upgrade to BBK... JK JK! haha