GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bird chirping sound when accelerating

Apa

Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI S
Hey I was wondering if anyone can help me pinpoint this sound I noticed today. I have a 2018 GTI with ~14k miles. When I accelerate, I hear a chirping like sound. This only happens when I’m in drive or reverse. If I let go of the gas, the sound stops. When I put the car in park and rev the engine the sound goes away.

The most recent work I’ve done to the car is change the spark plugs and do an oil change.

A couple of months ago I went stage 2 with a dsg tune. Also installed an IE Dowpipe and Armytrix exhaust.

Here is video of the sound from the outside and inside of the car.

Apa

Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI S
I couldn’t really hear anything abnormal on your video.
The first two seconds you can hear the abnormal sound before the intake drowns it out. The video from inside the car does better at picking up that chirping sound. I had my phone volume at max to hear it. Hope this helps.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT

Dameon

Go Kart Champion
Hey I was wondering if anyone can help me pinpoint this sound I noticed today. I have a 2018 GTI with ~14k miles. When I accelerate, I hear a chirping like sound. This only happens when I’m in drive or reverse. If I let go of the gas, the sound stops. When I put the car in park and rev the engine the sound goes away.

The most recent work I’ve done to the car is change the spark plugs and do an oil change.

A couple of months ago I went stage 2 with a dsg tune. Also installed an IE Dowpipe and Armytrix exhaust.

Here is video of the sound from the outside and inside of the car.
Same noise but only when turning left. Sounds just like a bird. I’ve never found the source.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Sounds like a bearing; something spinning. But it's a constant pitch/frequency and does not seem to be affected by speed so maybe that's not what it is.

Check non-obvious things like your environmental controls - make sure the fan is off. Also, turn the stereo off as maybe it's electronic noise coming through the speakers from the spark being advanced under throttle and retarding when you let off which is why it disappears.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Much better video. It does change with speed so it seems to be a bearing to me. Alternator, AC pump, idler bearing, etc. Go get one of those automotive stethoscopes and see if you can pinpoint where it is coming from. Maybe a rolled up tube is just as good and place it against your ear and point the other end all over until you find the right location.

Reactions: Apa

Ghawk

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI, 2019 GLI
That chirping sound can originate from a loose turbo pipe connection from the air box to the turbo intake.