GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best time to buy wheels/tires

spankye

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
I'll be replacing my Austin's before Summer and wondered if anyone had feedback on when they have seen the best incentives for a combo purchase. I seem to remember Discount Tire had a pretty good Memorial Day sale last year, but outside of that I'm not aware of anything. I'm looking at Konig Ampliforms so they are my first choice.

Their rebates/incentives are pretty good currently, so maybe I'm splitting hairs and should just pull the trigger.

ryohei47

Ready to race!
Ebay frequently has their 15% off coupons. For some tire brands, their rebates can be used even if the tires were purchased from Ebay (as long as it is a big seller like Tire Rack).

spankye

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
Ebay frequently has their 15% off coupons. For some tire brands, their rebates can be used even if the tires were purchased from Ebay (as long as it is a big seller like Tire Rack).

Ahh, I always forget about eBay. If you could stack rebates with the 15% off coupon that could be some big savings. Thanks for the reminder.

ryohei47

Ready to race!
Ahh, I always forget about eBay. If you could stack rebates with the 15% off coupon that could be some big savings. Thanks for the reminder.

Yep, be sure to call the manufacturer to confirm that the tires can be bought from Ebay. A lot of the times it isn't specifically mentioned.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I seem to remember Discount Tire had a pretty good Memorial Day sale last year, but outside of that I'm not aware of anything. I'm looking at Konig Ampliforms so they are my first choice.

I took advantage of that sale last year, and got 10% back from Discount tire, plus another $70 from Continental. I could have saved 20% if I'd opened a Discount tire credit card and used it for that purchase. When they ran the same sale for Black Friday, I opened the credit card and got the 20%, but what I didn't realize was it's not just on the tires, but the installation labor as well. 0% interest if you pay it off within 6 months, so either pay it all at once, or just set up 6 auto-pays and forget about it.

I'm pretty sure they run the same sale every holiday, just be sure to pay for the tires, wheels and installation at the same time to get the 20% back on everything.

spankye

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
Just spoke to Discount Tire to clarify discounts, etc, and the salesman informed me that they are running a 15% off sale this weekend when you use your Discount Tire card. Looks like the timing is pretty good!

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Just spoke to Discount Tire to clarify discounts, etc, and the salesman informed me that they are running a 15% off sale this weekend when you use your Discount Tire card. Looks like the timing is pretty good!

15% off up front is better than 20% back on 2 separate prepaid Mastercards, which is what they sent me when I got my winter tires (and installation) during their Black Friday sale.

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
15% off up front is better than 20% back on 2 separate prepaid Mastercards, which is what they sent me when I got my winter tires (and installation) during their Black Friday sale.

Just put some tires in a cart and it looks like it is the same 10% back in a MC, and 5% back in a MC. Not an upfront discount. Still the same $ over all though and a good deal. Puts the set PSS I am considering into the same range as Conti Extremes...hmmmm....

spankye

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
Just put some tires in a cart and it looks like it is the same 10% back in a MC, and 5% back in a MC. Not an upfront discount. Still the same $ over all though and a good deal. Puts the set PSS I am considering into the same range as Conti Extremes...hmmmm....

Right, not upfront but i'll take it.

Trying to decide between A/S and Summer tires. We get a lot of days below 40 here in Western NC which concerns me. Having said that my boss drives on PS4S all year and has no issues. Looking at the new General AS and RS-05. Seems to be a lot of tire for the money.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Ah, so it's still MIR, just not as much as last year. Not as great, but still better than nothing. I wonder if it will go back up to 20% for Memorial day? Might be worth waiting, since there are sure to be MIR offers from the manufacturers as well.
Right, not upfront but i'll take it.

Trying to decide between A/S and Summer tires. We get a lot of days below 40 here in Western NC which concerns me. Having said that my boss drives on PS4S all year and has no issues. Looking at the new General AS and RS-05. Seems to be a lot of tire for the money.
How many is "a lot," and how far below 40 are we talking? I usually put my summers back on as soon as possible, and in my experience, unless you're trying to push it too hard, most summer tires are OK in the mid-upper 30s. If that's the case where you are (and it's not snowing), I'd go with summer tires.

spankye

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
Ah, so it's still MIR, just not as much as last year. Not as great, but still better than nothing. I wonder if it will go back up to 20% for Memorial day? Might be worth waiting, since there are sure to be MIR offers from the manufacturers as well.

How many is "a lot," and how far below 40 are we talking? I usually put my summers back on as soon as possible, and in my experience, unless you're trying to push it too hard, most summer tires are OK in the mid-upper 30s. If that's the case where you are (and it's not snowing), I'd go with summer tires.

Man, that's a good question. Maybe a more accurate statement would be that we get a lot of mornings that are below 40. Our afternoons are generally above that. My boss runs PS4S year round and has no issues and he is super OCD so if it's good enough for him...

Having said that I ended up buying Ampliforms with the new General Gmax AS-05, mainly because they didn't have the Gmax RS in stock without special ordering and the AS-05 have stellar reviews on Tire Rack. I'm also concerned about longevity. It's not my main concern, but I need to get more than 12K out of a set.

Now you got me thinking maybe I'll call back and get the Gmax RS special ordered or possibly Conti ESC? Too many choices!

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
Discounttiredirect.com has 10% rebates right now (through Mar 10) on many wheels and tires, along with a $70 rebate on the Generals. And another 5% if you use their credit card (I did not).

So, I just pulled the trigger on a set of bronze Konig Hypergrams and 235/40/18 General GMax RS with free shipping.