GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best OEM+ shifter set-up?

Jcway16

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
‘15 GTI 6MT
I recently picked up a ‘15 GTI SE 6MT to use as a ‘fun’ daily driver. Right away I noticed how much I hated the stock shifting experience. One of my other cars is a ridiculously low mileage ‘18 SS 1LE, completely stock I think that is one of the best shifting cars I’ve ever driven. Pure joy to drive.

I initially perform med a couple of the free clutch mods such as the delay valve and return spring removal.

I then tried a Boomba short shift adapter, that was good but still not perfect. This was tan with OE bushings, I should have given it more of a chance by also replacing the linkage bushings.

I currently have a DieselGeek Sigma 6 and a SportShifters GT1 shift knob. The knob is great, but the Sigma 6 is just a bit ‘too much’.

This has me now searching for the perfect feel and hopefully close to my 1LE shifting experience (I know, I know).

Here’s what I’m thinking…

- VAG ‘euro’ shifter

- VAG metal side to side linkage, which part number do I want? Will this still utilize stock sized bushings or does it require a different size? Or, should I run the stock plastic unit, can the small white slider bushing be replaced?

- ECS/034/Torque Solutions/42DD bushings, does it matter which ones I run?

- SportShiters GT1 or OE knob. If I run the OE knob, possibly cut down the stock shaft?

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Don't ever shorten your shaft - unless your shaft is extraordinarily abundant.
And if you had that burden to bear, you wouldn't be reading this right now.

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!
I had the Boomba adapter like a month after I got my car, and switched to euro shifter 2 years after, I couldn't recall how the stock shifter was :LOL: but to me the Boomba feel was way better than the Euro.
Also had ECS metal bushings, better than stock, didn't think there were any differences among mentioned suppliers.
I like the hefty weight of Raceseng shift knob but love the OEM golf ball, so if you want to lower the knob, look up a guy on youtube, I forgot his name, he drilled the bottom of the ball so the shaft would go all the way up and also filled up the ball with some resin to increase the weight.
Forgot to mention holy shift from shopDAP

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Get the dieselgeek superpin and shifter bushings
The shaft bushings, linkage bushings, or bracket bushings? Or are they all worth doing?

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
I have an HPA short shifter than I run on the less aggressive setting, plus torque solution endlink bushings, pedal spring yeet, clutch stop, and delay orifice removal. IMO making the shifter too short makes it difficult to find neutral, and HPA advertises the less aggressive setting as a 20% reduction over stock, a bit more than the oem euro one.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
On my old mk4 337 I did the r32 short shifter (oem) and 42dd shifter bushings. Loved it.

On my mk3, I have a mk4 shifter setup, and went with a diesel geek with solid bracket bushings, and a very heavy shift knob. It's great, but totally overkill and I probably wouldn't go that far on a daily.

On my mk7 I went with the oem s3 short shifter, and am debating doing the linkage bushings. Overall I enjoy it, very nice for a daily.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Was very worth it to me… I’ve run the spulen front to back on my car, and I was sigma 6 before but now I’m back to stock front to back level + the metal side to side I linked with the super slider and the coolerworxs in the car.

When just switching from regular to side to side to the metal one with the slider I got very positive and satisfy results.

@BadHombre760 just mated it to his S3 shifter today also…. And he’s got former reference of the boomba nugget also.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I was happy with the Boomba for a while, I enjoyed the notchiness that came with it... until I went back to the stock shifter and realized how much better it felt.

Both the s3 shifter and dg metal bracket feels OEM in terms of notchiness. The front to back throw isn't as short as the boomba, but feels just as quick if not quicker without the notches.

Paired with pretty much all the DG bushings (super pin, shaft bushings, etc) and the Torque Solution delrin bushing for the front to back cable, everything feels very precise and solid going into gears. Very OEM+ feel

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
and the coolerworxs
If that wasn't so expensive I think I'd order one right away lol

I have the front-back apr short shifter, but it's not set to the shortest setting. Thinking of getting the metal side to side since it comes with the super slider and perfect pivot too. Then a shaft bushing...and I guess a super pin. Plus the bracket bushings.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
If that wasn't so expensive I think I'd order one right away lol

I have the front-back apr short shifter, but it's not set to the shortest setting. Thinking of getting the metal side to side since it comes with the super slider and perfect pivot too. Then a shaft bushing...and I guess a super pin. Plus the bracket bushings.
Yeah I think for the 99 price tag it’s a good buy since you’re getting the bushing (2), and slider.

On the front to back end link you can just do the DIY hack too and it will yield the same results and the caps cover it all up anyways so you can’t see it’s got random stuff in there.