GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Basic Build - dave1078's GTI

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
Figured it would be worth making a thread to track changes and events with my car. It's a a '16 GTI SE MT with PP and LP. I'll add more detail about mods/review things as I get more time. Feel free to ask questions about any mods.

Engine & Transmission Mods
BMS Clutch Stop
OEM TT Short Shifter
42dd Shifter Bushings
CTS Dogbone Insert
APR Downpipe
Unitronic Stage 2 Flash
Vibrant Resonator (This mod was added between the stock resonator and muffler to quiet down the noise the downpipe added. )
DIY RSR Clutch (TT-RS pressure plate with TDI/VR6 disc)
Clutch Delay Valve delete

Suspension, Wheels, Tires
Neuspeed RSE10 18x8 Gunmetal
Continental Extreme Contact DW 235/45 18s
Bilstein PSS (b14) coilovers
H&R Sway Bars 26mm Front 24mm Rear
Eurocode Under Brace (USS)
Eurocode Rear Brace

Future Mods
SuperPro front control arm bushings
Motor & Dogbone mounts
Weighted Shifter
Closed Intake or panel filter

Here it is in all of its basic glory (completely stock)

The stock wheels were stolen and my car was left on blocks, so that sparked the whole wheels and coil overs move.

So here the car is...more currently (and dirty)

Last edited:

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
Clutch Stop, Shifter Bushings, and TT Short Shifter Review

The first mods to my car were the BMS clutch stop, 42dd metal shifter bushings, and TT Short Shifter.

I can't recommend the clutch stop enough as it removes the unnecessary clutch pedal travel. For as many times as you have to press the clutch, it's saving you that extra inch or so of wasted space. It makes for easy starts, changes, and even launches. It confuses people a lot when they first try to drive my car though. #stall

Here is a comparison of the stock vs BMS stops

Next, the 042DD shift bushings were installed along with the TT shift lever. I noticed that gear changes felt a lot smoother than before. There was a lot less intermittent notching when going into gear. It felt a lot more uniform now. I would also recommend this mod to anyone.

The TT shifter helped reduce the throw by 15-20%. This is only noticeable if you're coming from stock, but was a nice change. I liked the price ($59) and the fact that it's still a quality OEM part. Given the price, it was a no brainer.

Last edited:

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
CTS Dogbone Review

The CTS dogbone (V2) does tidy up some of the slop of the drivetrain when under load. I noticed that the throttle was a little more direct feeling when in gear. I still get some wheel hop, but only in the wet. I've never had that much of a problem with traction, so I can't comment on that. I didn't experience any real NVH with mine, however the front end of the insert snapped off after a few thousand miles. CTS immediately sent me a replacement for free. We'll see how it holds up, but I suspect it will just break again. If so, I'll probably go with either an HPA style mount or just do actual motor mount upgrades down the way.

So overall, I'd say this is an iffy mod so far.

Pic:

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
Took a turn fast enough to use the VAQ. Did not see the huge pothole, but definitely felt it. Long story short, my inner wheel got bent.

Be careful out there!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Took a turn fast enough to use the VAQ. Did not see the huge pothole, but definitely felt it. Long story short, my inner wheel got bent.

Be careful out there!

Oh Damn. That sucks!
Can it be repaired?

I guess that's the only perk of running 15" wheels. You can drive into a crater and not worry.

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
Oh Damn. That sucks!
Can it be repaired?

I guess that's the only perk of running 15" wheels. You can drive into a crater and not worry.

We'll see tomorrow! I hope so. Otherwise it'll be $300 for a new wheel.

Yeah, I bet the 15s feel good over bad roads. lol.