GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Back seat headrests

irondwill

Just got my GTI Mk7 yesterday (traded in my 2001 Mk4 Golf) and am still getting used to the narrower field of view and the different (larger?) blind spot. It also feels like the back-seat headrests are somewhat getting in the way.

Did any of you find this to be true? Did you leave the headrests in or take them out?

Judesman

Ready to race!
Driver visibility to left and right is not so good but you can lower the rear headrests. At least I was able to from the height they were set at when I took delivery.

zgap101

Ready to race!
I find rear visibility is better in the Mk7 compared to my old Mk4, as the Mk7 has the "L" shaped rear headrests - you can push them lower down :)

Yes, blind spot is worse in the Mk7... especially worse when I hang a coat by the rear window hook...

CurbKiller

To the OP, I see you are from the US. As with some past VW products the rear headrests are different from what we get. My GTD here in Germany has headrests that are almost flush with the back seat when compared to the 'always up' set up you have.

When I first saw pics of NA GTI/Golf the first thing I thought of was what you posted.

Either way, still a great car :). Enjoy!

Stripey

Ready to race!
Coming from an all together bigger saloon car, the big difference I noticed straight away was the smaller wing mirrors and hence smaller rear view from said mirrors. However, after a few weeks you get used to it and now it's fine! I suspect the golf fanatics who are used to the size of mirrors from previous versions didn't find this a problem?

irondwill

The mirrors are notably smaller on the Mk7 than the Mk4. I never drove any of the intervening models.

I'd actually completely removed the rear seat headrests from my Mk4, which is probably why the headrests in the Mk7 are noticeable to me.

I suspect you're right though - after a few weeks I'll get used to it. The GTI has a lot more visibility than plenty of other types of car - especially coupes - and those drivers seem to get along all right.

Wolksvagen

Banned
Not whilst you are driving forward it doesn't :eek:

You assume I look forward when driving forward!

You not heard about kiwi drivers?

My last regular Golf was a Mk4 R32, the tiny side mirrors on that thing were crap, the Mk7 has pretty good side mirrors, combined with the quick check when changing lanes I've never had an issue.

heliotrope

Passed Driver's Ed
Would anyone in this thread be interested in selling me a middle headrest? I'd like to do a hidden Valentine 1 mount. I'm in continental US. Make me an offer!

element515

Ready to race!
I usually just lean forward and look in the mirror to check my blindspots. I find this much better than turning around. You won't have issues like the headrests getting in the way and if something happens in front of you, you have a higher chance of seeing it right away.

fudsey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 MkV GTI
I pulled mine out, put them in a box and there they'll stay unless needed... :)