GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Average MPG?

ice raptor

Passed Driver's Ed
Just curious what other people are getting with there R. When i first picked it up i was getting about 30 combined. Now im around 26-28 per tank. That sound about right for most people? All i have on is the turbo muffler delete and turbo inlet pipe. Unless im assuming that the engine compensates for the added flow into the inlet pipe and might be why im losing a bit of fuel economy?

new R Fan 2018

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
For me about 24 combined.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
80 percent highway at 65...I average 33.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Lifetime average is between 23-25 mixed driving, best tank average is 33.14mpg worst is 19.39mpg, yes I track every tank.

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Keep in mind I bought this car in March, and have only put 900something miles on it cuz COVID. The 29MPG was obtained on the interstate trip back home from the dealer I bought it at, since then its only done city/town.

Edit: If you're wondering, I put any modifications under services. Like my wheels alone are most of that.

Attachments

• 20200723_174006000_iOS.png
    20200723_174006000_iOS.png
    205.4 KB · Views: 170

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
It's totally based on miles per trip so average MPG has to be in context with how far you drive. I, for example, only get about 14.5 consistently because my commute to work is 3 miles and I only run errands on the weekends for trips of about 15 miles. No way I'm ever getting the rated MPG on this car. I still get about 18 days average out of about 8.5 gallons though (I fill up at half a tank.) I'd have to drive much farther to get better mileage as some of these other members must be doing.

Even on the road when I go from L.A. to S.F (or back the other way) on the I-5 at a constant 70 MPH I've only ever gotten 30 max. On cruise control for the whole way except the 1 mile to the freeway and the exit to the gas station. On flat highway. I don't know how anyone can get higher than that consistently combined (no way these cars get 30 only "around town.") I went 352 miles on 12.3 gallons for 28.7 my last trip back at a constant 70MPH.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
By the way for everyone quoting MPG numbers the VW readout isn't accurate at all. The only way to accurately calculate your MPG is by filling the tank to full, drive and when refill the tank to full is to calculate the real MPG. I can drive 50 MPH for 100 miles and the VW readout says I've averaged 50 MPG. I have to fill up everyday and I calculate my MPG and it averages 2.3 MPG less than what the readout says.

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
By the way for everyone quoting MPG numbers the VW readout isn't accurate at all. The only way to accurately calculate your MPG is by filling the tank to full, drive and when refill the tank to full is to calculate the real MPG. I can drive 50 MPH for 100 miles and the VW readout says I've averaged 50 MPG. I have to fill up everyday and I calculate my MPG and it averages 2.3 MPG less than what the readout says.

I agree. My best was 27.76 and my worst was 10.11. My average after every full up on Fuelly is 19.3. ~56k miles and nearly $10k in gas. Oof.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Nobody said how they measure so there's no way to tell what they are quoting. I, however, will note I track both calculated and computer MPG and the two values have never been more than 1.1 MPG apart and have averaged .4 MPG deviation over 27 months. So, within 1/2 MPG is pretty close to the same thing. That indicates to me that my R's computer, over time is pretty close to reality.

FactoryR

Ready to race!
Drove close 2k miles to Colorado (from TX) on vacation last week during a 7 day period and averaged 31mpg on the way there, 30-32 while there, and 29pg on the way home. First time I've ever used ECO mode and while I dont attribute so the MPG so much with using this mode, I wasn't not hauling ass/getting into the boost. Having had both a manual R and DSG R, the DSG definitely eeks out a few MPG more.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Nobody said how they measure so there's no way to tell what they are quoting. I, however, will note I track both calculated and computer MPG and the two values have never been more than 1.1 MPG apart and have averaged .4 MPG deviation over 27 months. So, within 1/2 MPG is pretty close to the same thing. That indicates to me that my R's computer, over time is pretty close to reality.

Obviously yours is closer than mine is.