GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AutoPolar FIS on MQB

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
UPDATE:-

Went on the Autopolar website again today & the page with all the software/firmware downloads has vanished!!

Also the "offline update" tool has vanished!

& the "online update" tool now works properly which it wasn't before over the past couple of months!!

So managed for the first time to actually "register" the product with Autopolar.....hmmm I wonder if that's why mine was "bricked"...

Also they are now on 1.6 version firmware & 7 days ago it was 1.4 version...& they did release a 1.5 version in the middle!

I'd also like to point out that on the Autopolar website, under the products section PF05 product for MQB page...they show the Kema TDI install Utube video on a 2014 Jetta SW...which is similar, but NOT MQB & they are installing a PF03 module..NOT a PF05 module (MQB)

Also they show the dash of a MQB Skoda Octavia...BUT watch it closely at the beginning & they access the Polar FIS screen via the "Audio" screen...& in the instructions page for the MQB module they state you access it via the "Telephone" screen..WTF???

So I phone up the UK importer & state the above & that I will give it another go this weekend, just in case the registration process was causing problems...not my fault if their website doesn't work properly for a few months & they don't state that the item has to registered first otherwise its a brick...

Anyway will give it another go later today..if not then they get it back....UK importer is fine with that..

BTW also from what I can gather I'm the first one using it on a MK7 Golf!!..WTF ??....so no development on anything other than Skoda Octavia...& the MK7 Golf sells more & is available in more countries worldwide than the Octavia!!..

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
pfffffff, sounds so shitty. You should get a big discount for being a guiea pig!

I recon too but the UK importer is nonplussed about that aspect ..I can return the item under UK sale of goods rules which I have stated to the importer...

Anyway more UPDATE;-

Had another go at the importer & several phone calls later & numerous questions & this whole day plugging, unpluging, running VCDS etc....we have...

1.It works!
2.You do NOT need any VCDS & the whole "75 telemetrics" is wrong & not needed for all MQB so instructions are wrong.
3. ALL MQB access the unit via the "Audio" & NOT via the Telephone as stated in the instruction books.

To get it working do the following in this order:-

1. ONLINE register the product with Autopolar
2. update the firmware online from them with the correct language.
3. After you find space etc & when you are ready to disconnect the plug from the cars CAN gateway unit, leave drivers door open, ignition & key out/off...do not open/close any other doors etc...wit 15mins for car to de-power fuelpump & interior lights.
4. Now you can unplug the cars CAN gateway unit & plug that cable into the Autopolar unit, & the Autopolar cable into the Cars CAN gateway unit.
5. Now you can close doors, switch the ignition on & see the Autopolar screen in the "Audio2 screen on the Dash.

To use VCDS/OBD11 etc...switch to any other screen eg, telephone, driving data, nav, etc...basically do not show the "audio" screen in the Dash.

Also DO NOT use the option in Autopolar to "switch off unit"...they have not sorted a "switch on"...so you have to unplug the unit count to five & plug back in again...

just feckiing development..really...:mad:

Last edited:

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
golfdave: Are you basically getting the can unit to go to sleep during install, etc? Could the same thing be accomplished by unplugging of battery (this sounds like similar process when installing JB1/JB4). Just a thought, obviously you've figured this process out and glad to hear it's working-sorta.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
golfdave: Are you basically getting the can unit to go to sleep during install, etc? Could the same thing be accomplished by unplugging of battery (this sounds like similar process when installing JB1/JB4). Just a thought, obviously you've figured this process out and glad to hear it's working-sorta.

Yeah disconnecting the battery is only a course of last resort & only 100% required for airbag removal/disconnection.

Otherwise most circuits are dead after the main "x" relay.

When you open a door this is micro switched as an activator so you hear the fuel pump etc activate & prime..which is before you even turn ignition on. So you have to get these circuits to go to sleep...only way is basically leave open the bonnet/hatch/doors you need, & DO NOT close or touch anything else...then wait for the interior lights to switch of & you will hear the fuel pump de-power & the lights go out....takes about 15mins..

Then its safe to unplug modules as it won't create any fault codes or reset procedures...or warning lights...if you are fitting new modules then it will...obviously.

Just I prefer to not upset the electronics & have to waste time doing reset procedures....The amount of times I have had to plug/in-plug this flipping module over two days or work etc all because their installation instructions on the web are wrong!!...Christ I would have given the car a seizure...:eek:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thought that's what you were implying with the car-sleep procedure. Cool. Hopefully your tips/advice will serve other users if they come across the unit.

Yeah not everyone knows the sleep mode "x" relay switch off...

See how the unit goes this weekend...its working ..just...as I had it glitch off...again...:mad:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
UPDATE;-
Warm 22C day, bright sunshine..So went on a nice 32mile run with stops for shopping & 60/70mph roads....

PROS:-
1. Nice to see the intake temps even after heat soaking at car park at a max of 44C & reduce very quickly to 38C.
2. Uphill, 2nd gear saw 267Nm torque & 167HP....from a 140PS & 250NM engine...I knew mine was making way more...:D
3. Clear easy to read. display...

CONS:-
1. Display has the lower two parameter lines (no 3 & 4) in a bigger font/size than the upper two lines in ever Autopolar screen. Don't know why as the VW contact list screen in the telephone section has every line the same font/size...
2. Display is self centering all the time...so the written line is centred on the screen center line...so if displaying any value (boot, hp, nm, etc.) which alters rapidly every second..the digits alter the length of the whole line so it is constantly moving around in & out like an accordion...they should have the writing tabbed to the fixed left & the numbers tabbed to the fixed right..like on the PF03 units they made for MK6/MK6 Golf.
3. Constantly throws up a fault code in the dash due to it "breaking" in to the dash MFD via the "audio" screen.

MK5 & MK6 Golf they made the PF03 Unit for was correctly left tabbed writing & right tabbed numerical values with all four lines the same text size...why have they made a mess of this unit & display???

YES I am running the latest 1.6version software...

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
VCDS fault codes which this has generated:-

Code:
Address 17: Instruments (J285)       Labels:| 5G0-920-XXX-17.clb-SRI3
   Part No SW: 5G1 920 950     HW: 5G1 920 950 
   Component: KOMBI         304 4270  
   Coding: 27A411002F80A60001887E011400000000000000
   Shop #: WSC 00028 028 00067
   ASAM Dataset: EV_DashBoardVDDMQBAB 009037
   ROD: EV_DashBoardVDDMQBAB_009_VW37.rod
   VCID: 6696BF9278E80E67E84-8032

1 Fault Found:
16777018 - Function Restricted due to Interrupted Communications 
          U1110 00 [008] - -
          [BAP_Audio_0x31 keine Kommunikation]
          Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 6
                    Fault Frequency: 2
                    Reset counter: 123
                    Mileage: 23023 km
                    Date: 2018.05.18
                    Time: 14:05:37

This audio fault code it generates this every time you plug the device it...The car had NO faults as scanned before

Now I have removed the Autopolar device & managed to clear the instruments fault (Audio)

Last edited:

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
6. Now I am having a second try to access the car as its refusing access via VCDS...& YES I have the MFD in a different screen & not in Audio (which is where Autopolar displays) & I have waited over 5mins for the MFD to switch off.

This makes me wonder if the JB4 will play nice with this since it relies on the OBD port.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
This makes me wonder if the JB4 will play nice with this since it relies on the OBD port.

NOPE...can't show Autopolar screen in MFD (dash) at the same time you are running another aftermarket device which uses the CAN gateway OBD..

It states in the Autopolar install guides & quick start guides that, screen shot of their PDF:-

Attachments

• OBD info.jpg
    OBD info.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
ACC problem Solved! Autopolar Unit still sent back due to "problems"

Right this is a "thread tidy" post, statement of facts, apologises (which have also been put in writing to the UK importer) & a fuller understanding of using VCDS with our ACC Radar units!

Originally I was getting two fault codes in the ACC unit, & both appeared on the first drive I did with the Autopolar unit plugged into the car. The time/date stamps in VCDS confirmed this. The radar unit was inspected & all ok, cover in place, clean, & grasped it with my right hand & gave it a wiggle, & it felt ok. So I thought based on the info & observations that it was an electrical fault caused by the Autopolar unit, as I have never had these faults before & have the scans before the installation of the Autopolar unit to prove this! However after having an annoying "niggling feeling" at the back of my brain I investigated more on VCDS, ODIS & VAGCOM-Pro etc. re the ACC units, The result is the following:-

OK so pushed the car out of the garage to give me loads of room to have yet another close inspection of the Radar unit. Clean, yep, remove cover, & wiggle the unit is it firm?...yep...have another look, do the adjustable bolts/screws look ok & do the brackets all look fine?...yep!...So very close inspection of the two adjustable screws (top left & bottom right as top right is a non-adjustable fixed plastic leg)....bolts appear to be closer to the bottom left prongs in the plastic captive nut which the bolts sit in.....Hmmmmm.......so the unit must be leaning towards the bottom left...so grasp the unit with left hand & left thumb on top right of unit....now wiggle unit...& it moves slightly!!...AARRGGGHH...:mad:..so wiggle the unit & it goes back in with a nice "click"...double check everything!..& wiggle in every direction...NOW its totally firm!!. Basically the top right non-adjustable leg was "out" of one set of its prongs but still partially held firm & looked all ok & "in"!!

So using VCDS:-
you enter the module [13-Auto Dist. Reg],
then go into [Basic Settings],
& from the drop down menu select:- IDE02163-ENG114972-Reset misalignment angle.

Then exit VCDS & switch ignition off & key out, close door, wait for MFD to go out.

Now I decided to investigate further (you don't need to do this):-
Went into module [13-Auto Dist. Reg],
then go into [Advance Measuring Values],
& again read:-
IDE01784 - Misalignment angle (now 0.000)
IDE01785 - Vertical angle deviation (still 0.109)
IDE01786 - Horizontal angle deviation (still -0.394)
IDE02523 - Misalignment angle: fast algorithm (now 0.000)
IDE09906 - Vertical deadjustment (now 0.000)

So VCDS actually zeros the following "learnt values" lines:-
IDE01784 - Misalignment angle
IDE02523 - Misalignment angle: fast algorithm
IDE09906 - Vertical deadjustment

What you need to do next is go back into the [13-Auto Dist. Reg] module with VCDS & now you can clear the hard DTC codes in there as you have effectively carried out the "reset to zero of learned values" so there are no values outside of spec to trigger an immediate fault code.

Now you need to go on a suitable drive (as before discussed above) of at least 30miles with the ACC active for it to re-learn those three values which have been "zeroed".

So I went for a nice long drive (110miles), had to do 15miles to get to the main dual carriageway road which I mainly use the ACC on as its 60 & 70mph & with average speed cameras!! So did about 80miles all told on 60 & 70mph roads following trucks at 50mph & cars at other times doing 70mph. Even had some emergency stopping to do due to idiots...ACC & front assist all work 100%!!

Got home did full autoscan....NO FAULTS!!

Went into module [13-Auto Dist. Reg],
then go into [Advance Measuring Values],
& again read:-
IDE01784 - Misalignment angle (now -0.06)
IDE01785 - Vertical angle deviation (still 0.109)
IDE01786 - Horizontal angle deviation (still -0.394)
IDE02523 - Misalignment angle: fast algorithm (now -0.12)
IDE09906 - Vertical deadjustment (now 0.211)

Basically well within spec!! It appears that the "IDE01785 - Vertical angle deviation", & "IDE01786 - Horizontal angle deviation" are not the actual readings of the unit on the bracket in "live time". BUT the actual reading of the unit on the bracket when the last full calibration was carried out! ..ie how the unit was left!

So how does this leave me -vs- the Autopolar unit? Well I have apologised & explained to the UK importer re the ACC as its so coincidental its not true! Even he couldn't believe it! Anyway it does not remove the facts that the Autopolar still creates:-
Address 17: Instruments (J285)
16777018 - Function Restricted due to Interrupted Communications
U1110 00 [008] - -
[BAP_Audio_0x31 keine Kommunikation]

This is due to the fact the Autopolar unit "breaks" into the Audio screen in the MFD to display the Autopolar info gained from the CAN Gateway. Also the fact that they have totally messed up the screen display compared to either the MK6/MK6 Golf units (PF03) they made & compared to the OEM VW telephone contacts display in the MFD. Instead of having the description writing tabbed to the left of the screen & the numerical values tabbed to the right of the screen & all four parameter lines having same size...they have each line self centring in the middle of the screen & expanding evenly outwards left & right as the numerical values alter. This is very distracting when you have several parameter which constantly alter rapidly eg power/boost/nm...& the whole lot looks like an accordion playing! Also the top two lines in every screen have smaller writing than the bottom two lines...not slightly, but by quite a difference!

So what have we learnt? Check the radar units VERY closely & grasp it in different ways! In my case NOTHING had hit it to dislodge it from the bracket & NO damage as like new. However what I think is the only explanation is that the unit is bolted hard to the car, so every pothole, speedbump etc. is passed through those mountings...I recon that over time it was being "bounced" out of the mounting & by pure chance the final "bounce" happened when I had the Autopolar unit on the car...& this final bounce was enough to throw up the ACC fault codes!!

Final word on the Autopolar unit? I'd give it awhile as its still causing the fault code in the dash & the display is a mess compared to their pervious gen PF03 unit for the MK5/MK6 Golf...

Anyway picture below of the messy display! This is their version 1.6 software as of 20th May 2018

Attachments

• P5190024,-reduced.jpg
    P5190024,-reduced.jpg
    618.1 KB · Views: 701
Last edited:

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
Good to hear the issues are worked out. Sad to read about the shitty text alignment. I guess it's because VW centers everything in this specific display. :( let's hope they find a way to implement dynamic adding of spaces or tabs or something because this is messy!!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Good to hear the issues are worked out. Sad to read about the shitty text alignment. I guess it's because VW centers everything in this specific display. :( let's hope they find a way to implement dynamic adding of spaces or tabs or something because this is messy!!

So am I ..I did a big thread on Ross-tech as I found out more about the ACC & that its not as "dealer only" as people think...I recon you could fit all new no problem & get it with in spec on a couple of drives...

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?14359-2014-15-MK7-Golf-MQB-ACC-system-faults

BTW....VW has the telephone contacts list in the MFD as left aligned..so the display will do it....:cool: