GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Autocross Experience with my Mk6

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
So I went autocrossing with my Mk6 on Sunday, and it was a great learning experience, as well as lots of fun!

Because I'm in Vancouver, BC - and this being the rainy season for this part of the world - the event was absolutely soaked. Lots of people with RWD cars spinning out left and right, and those with super-stiff suspensions and RSB's were facing the same issue. I watched one Mk3 GTI spin out twice because of how stiff his rear suspension was.

This was my very first performance driving event of any kind, and my first autocross. Unfortunately, it meant a dismal performance for me... the slowest overall time that day, and the most number of DNFs due to getting lost. :lol: Everything just felt like it came at you so fast, and I had difficulty remembering one particular gate's location, which was the main reason for my 3 DNF's :mad0259:.

The GTI itself performed admirably - I was running the stock 17" wheel/tire combination, so the tires were the ContiProContacts. It definitely felt like there was a LOT more performance in the car, and a skilled driver (not I! :thumbdown:) would definitely have had a much faster time than me. There wasn't a hint of understeer at all, even with the rain and me being ham-fisted and lead-footed as a driver. The car always felt planted and stable, and it seemed as if the rain wasn't bothering it at all.

I wish there had been more room to stretch out the car's legs more, and for more time for me to learn the basics of autocrossing and memorizing the course layout! :lol:

Here are some pictures from the day: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dionditan/sets/72157623325611668/

subacpw

Ready to race!
i miss autocrossing. when i had my wrx and lived in louisville i did it all the time.

it takes getting used to. remember to walk the track 2-3 times before the event. talk to the people who have been there a while they will normally give you tips.

slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

sweetsandman

Ready to race!
That looks awesome and like a total blast! Glad to here your Contis performed well. The ones that come stock on the Cobalt SS (Conti Sport Contact 2 I believe) are pretty awesome in the dry...but when it gets wet these things can get kinda skittish.