GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Auto headlights on during the day

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Actually thinking about this - if you have RNS510 sat-nav the screen can be set to go to 'night mode' when the main lights come on via the light sensor - so that could be what he means....

DW58

Go Kart Champion
You've got a point there - never thought of that.

burso

Ready to race!
BIB but yes that's what the DRLs are for and one doesn't necessarily need headlights as well. And of course there is the danger that in certain shadowy conditions this Auto headlight feature can 'flash' the lights on and off given false signs, possibly to emerging traffic.

LMFAO :D

DW58

Go Kart Champion

psquared2

Ready to race!
In what way does it do that - what system have you got?

I have the RCD 310. It is not a permanently backlit screen so only lights up (in blue) when the dipped/heads are on. Not a big point but I find it a useful and easily seen indicator of when the sensor has switched the lights on.

I assume the Discover Nav is backlit all the time so does not give that same indication. Just curious and quite happy to accept that the VW auto lights are a very good system that can mostly be left entirely to its own devices.

Luddite

Ready to race!
My lights are set on auto.
Haven't touched them since day one. They work fine.
Ditto wipers.
Ditto handbrake.
Just though I'd share something positive.
Whenever certain people, who incidentally don't have any direct or personal experience of the subject matter, get involved, the need to counter their 'VictorMeldrewesgue' negativity overwhelms me.
Whilst I'm certainly not a milliner, I don't have any qualms about who should find that to be just about their own hat size.
It's also notable who says "hello" to new people and tries to make this a pleasant place, and who.....well.....just doesn't so much...at all.
But then what do I know?
Beyond what I know. ?.....

DW58

Go Kart Champion
BAH HUMBUG!

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
I'm not an huge fan of DRLs being on permanently but I do the reasons why. Early morns / late eves I see so many other road users gleefully driving / riding along in apparent stealth mode with no lights. Ok they may just be unaware their lights aren't on but one might think not being able to to see ones dials could be a clue. Besides, being an-ex biker I also realise DRLS are irrelevant to an extent as so many folk simply don't look where they are going anyway vis a vis those who don't see or hear ambulances / fire / police vehicles with full 'blues and twos' blaring....

JohnV1

Ready to race!
I guess you must drive around with your aircon and radio switched off if you are that worried about fuel consumption.

Anything that gets you noticed by some of the other numptys that are on the road is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, I'm pretty tight fisted as I've no choice but to burn through £200 worth of diesel per month because of the job. I use the air-con quite sparingly, de-mist for a couple minutes in the winter and lets face it, it only gets really warm in the UK for a couple of months of the year for air-con cooling when it gets above 25c (which isn't often in the Midlands).

My point still being is that with LED DRL's on my Mk7, there's no need for full headlamps if it's overcast. The LED's are so bright you'd have to be blind not to notice them.

I can only hazard a guess but I'd estimate the Discover Nav probably consumes no more than 5 to 10W. Not much of a fuel saving switching that off :)

Each to their own, I suppose.