GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Auto braking

Pete16a

How do you switch off the Automatic Braking, this keeps applying the brakes when passing cyclist riding on cycle paths. I have had 5 near misses where the car/lorry behind has nearly hit me because my car cars Automatic braked

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Press the button on the left hand stalk.
If you have had so many near rear end shunts, then it is the vehicle behind driving too close.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
You will need to turn it off every time you start the car as it is on by default and can not be turned off permanently as it is one of the reasons the insurance group has dropped considerably. Never had problems with cyclists only has it jabbing on the brakes when cars are forking off to the left and I am accelerating past, the brakes go on and the warning on the screen appears.

I changed my driving positioning now as it is easier than turning it off every time plus I wonder what the insurers would say if it is found to be turned off after being in an accident.

mickR

Ready to race!
It's easily overridden, if the red warning appears on dash, simply react in some (touch brake, press clutch, rev engine etc) way and it does not apply brakes

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
It's not acc it's emergency braking.

You are correct, I found a way to force it to work today, I purposely accelerated towards the vehicle in front, and the red warning came on and I felt the abs come in, although I was ready to brake had it not.

Wireless John

It's not acc it's emergency braking.

Right, but that surely only kicks in if ACC is active, otherwise all that happens is the big white chevron markings come up on the panel when you get too close to a car/bike /foil crisp bag, etc. Or does the SE not have this emergency braking of which you spoke?:confused: It has a front assist setting in the menu but that seems unrelated to braking.

...Seems as though nobody knows then?

Last edited: