GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Astra Or Golf ?

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
I’ve posted here as there isn’t a Mk4 section and there is more activity in the Mk7’s. So, a friend of mine, and it is a friend not me, is in a dilemma as to which used car to buy: Vauxhall Astra or Golf. Obvious, no ? Well no, because the Astra is an H model, I believe, not the current one but the previous incarnation with the ‘too big’ rear lights & narrowish boot; 1.6 Club petrol, 5 door, 65,000ish miles on a 2007 plate in silver, £2800. The Golf; Mk4 1.6 Match, also a petrol 5 door, 53 plate (2003) 60,000 miles (!), £2600. I’ve been to see both cars, on sale by same dealer; both are in pretty much immaculate condition.

My friend isn’t too fussed over choosing either, he just wants a car and is going to get some insurance quotes before deciding. Me; I’ve been doing sums to see if I can buy the Golf for myself, can’t justify it alas.

So the question for any used car puchase is: good condition but older model that you probably really (really) want or: good condition newer but possibly slightly less desirable car. Tricky….

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
I’ve posted here as there isn’t a Mk4 section and there is more activity in the Mk7’s. So, a friend of mine, and it is a friend not me, is in a dilemma as to which used car to buy: Vauxhall Astra or Golf. Obvious, no ? Well no, because the Astra is an H model, I believe, not the current one but the previous incarnation with the ‘too big’ rear lights & narrowish boot; 1.6 Club petrol, 5 door, 65,000ish miles on a 2007 plate in silver, £2800. The Golf; Mk4 1.6 Match, also a petrol 5 door, 53 plate (2003) 60,000 miles (!), £2600. I’ve been to see both cars, on sale by same dealer; both are in pretty much immaculate condition.

My friend isn’t too fussed over choosing either, he just wants a car and is going to get some insurance quotes before deciding. Me; I’ve been doing sums to see if I can buy the Golf for myself, can’t justify it alas.

So the question is: good condition but older model that you probably really (really) want or good condition newer but possibly slightly less desirable car. Tricky….

Gignomeus

Ready to race!
Sounds like the real decision would be on personal preference, but:

- I wouldn't be too concerned about resale value at that age, by the time you own either of them for a few years I doubt there will be any real money between them.

- I could be wrong but I'd expect an Astra to be cheaper to maintain parts cost wise, but also being newer I'd hope it would be more reliable.

- Do either of them have any extras that are particularly desirable? The Astra should have some more modern toys in it than the Golf, but I did have a brand new Astra as a rental last year and I was totally astonished at how things just had NOT moved on from my early 90's Astra :(

Hard choice, I would rather have a younger car, but I do hate Astras...

Consider option 3: another car entirely?

Hobby55

Ready to race!
I doubt there's any difference reliability-wise, most cars built from the early 2000s are usually pretty reliable unless you go for a French car...

Down to personal preference.

Personally I'd look for a Skoda Octavia from about the same age group (say 2005!), reliable and more space than either of them...

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Thanks for feedback. Me, I'd have a serious walk around the Golf and if no real issues see if I could get the price down a touch.

Astras per se aren't bad, bing no-frills cars. I had a new, at the time, current model (1.6 petrol SE) and it drove quite well, nice interior but didn't handle all that great and economy was only average. Returned it due to multiple elcectrical probs, the most 'interesting' were: all the lights would extinguish randomly and without warning (not fun at night) and the radio would suddenly jump to full, head-pounding volume of it's own accord. There was a recall to fix a power regulator thingy, I don't mind playing stuff on 11 but that radio did cause a few grey hairs.

My friend is still 'humming and aahing' and will think it over until the weekend. When, as is the way, both cars will have been sold of course :)....

Last edited:

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Id rather a good spec Astra H to a Mk4 Golf.......the Mk4 is decicedly long in the tooth now by comparison and finding a good one (given the youngest are now 11+ years old) isnt that easy I'd wager.

You simply get more car for your money too......for example I just v recently sold a 57 plate 1.6 VVT Design 5 door, 52k miles and full VX history for £2.9k privately and that was quite strong money on the basis of its general condition. Sure it wasnt the perfect car, wasnt amazing to drive and did go wrong on occasion but still alot of still relatively modern car for the money (particularly when you think several years back one would have set you back 17ish K).

The Mk5 Golf on the whole is a better car but then you'll still pay nearly double for an equivalent half reasonable one.

Last edited:

Resolute Blue

Passed Driver's Ed
So envious of all the options of cars you folks in the UK and throughout Europe have. How lovely would it be to be able to walk onto a dealership here in the US and shop for a defender?

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
At the risk of turning the forum into one about Astras: in 2006 I almost bought an Astra in question (H model 1.6 Sxi or Design) but was tipped off a 100% new model, based on the Chevy Cruze, was soon to be available, incedntally my first contract hire / PCP car when I was introduced to the concept of returning a duff car in the same way you would a duff TV. This is still the current Vauxhall Astra. The mistake I made, and it has to be said kinda made again with my Mk7 Golf, was in taking a new brand new, relatively un real-life tested model and paying for the 'privelage' of completing the remaining 10% shakedown / development on behalf of the manufacturer. While my Astra was nothing but trouble for 6 weeks (I could have written a book) until may patience ran out, I'm sure Astras are now sorted niggle-wise as will the Mk7 Golf if not already. But the Golf will always be better, if more pricey....

Last edited: