GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

As of 2023, what are the go-to brake pads for spirited street driving?

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Received everything in the mail yesterday, LPI Racing got those pads to me in less than 24 hours. Very pleased. One thing that's nice about these Zimmerman coated rotors is they don't come absolutely covered in oil from machining since they were machined first and then coated, compared to the centric rotors that were coated first and machined second. That being said, I'm sure it would be better to have the pads braking on the bare metal vs having to burn through the coating layer.

Should be installing everything tonight or tomorrow. Looking at my stock pads through the wheel it doesn't seem like they are that low, but the noises they have been making as well as the prominent lip on the rotors has me thinking otherwise.

enobiko

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
I'm waiting on a full set of Brembo ceramic pads to be delivered. I have their coated rotors, they look nice! They are a good name, good price... but I haven't heard much about them. The rears don't need done yet, but I wanted a matched set, and expect the rears need to be done sometime... might as well do it now, they should last until I sell the car.
I had the Power Stop Z23 pads and rotors on my last GTI (non-pp) and they seemed about the same as stock, maybe a bit less initial bite when wet?? The rotors were coated, but the NE Ohio salted roads seemed to have been more than they could deal with, they didn't stay as clean as I wanted. Maybe the Brembo coating will be better?
I anticipate installing the Brembos in early April when the weather warms up a bit (and the pads arrive).

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Re: EBC Reds. Very disappointing pad. Not much more heat capability than stock, more dust, worse cold bite. Very smooth and easy to modulate though.

Re: EBC Yellows. Current front pad (rears are Reds). They’re fine. Definitely dusty, but noticeably better heat handling and fade resistance. Good bite and easy to modulate. Got them mad cheap on sale from buybrakes.com.

Next set? Will probably try something different for the heck of it. Less dust would be nice.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Re: EBC Reds. Very disappointing pad. Not much more heat capability than stock, more dust, worse cold bite. Very smooth and easy to modulate though.

Re: EBC Yellows. Current front pad (rears are Reds). They’re fine. Definitely dusty, but noticeably better heat handling and fade resistance. Good bite and easy to modulate. Got them mad cheap on sale from buybrakes.com.

Next set? Will probably try something different for the heck of it. Less dust would be nice.
Agreed on reds....really no reason to buy these over yellows, they don't handle heat well and dust like crazy. Fine on the rear unless you are full track mode.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Got the pads and rotors installed. Strangely enough my 2019 Autobahn didn't come stock with brake wear sensors so I had to clip the wires on the one in the Porterfield kit. I have been looking for into on bedding in the Porterfields, but I can't find anything specific to the pads. I ended up just doing 10 stops from 60 to 10mph in succession, being more aggressive each time till I was on the verge of ABS kicking in. After that I drove for 10 min on the freeway and let them cool after. Anything else I should be doing? I could definitely smell them after the 6th stop.

starsmith

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Urano Grey GTI
Time for new pads and rotors for me too. Anyone recommendations for a setup?
- 2019 GTI with PP brakes.
- No track duty, but occasional rowdy mountain drives where the brakes do get hot enough to smell.
- Don't care about dust lol.
- Progressive, controlled bite preferred over getting it all at once.
- Longevity comparable to OEM preferred.

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
Time for new pads and rotors for me too. Anyone recommendations for a setup?
- 2019 GTI with PP brakes.
- No track duty, but occasional rowdy mountain drives where the brakes do get hot enough to smell.
- Don't care about dust lol.
- Progressive, controlled bite preferred over getting it all at once.
- Longevity comparable to OEM preferred.
i went with brembo replacement drilled rotors up front ,rs3 ducts, steel braided lines all around . zimmer rear rotors. and ferodo ds2500 all around
2017 gti PP

enobiko

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
But... the Ferodo pads are nearly $287 just for the front set! They seem ideal for the specified circumstance, but... Man! The price! EBC Reds and Yellows, as well as the Hawk Ceramics, are just above $150. The HP Plus are $227, almost as much as the Ferodo. The rear Ferodo pads are again by far the most expensive...
Whatever you wind up with, make sure to keep up with the brake fluid flush schedule, if you get your brakes that hot.
BTW, my Brembo pads and rotors are still bedding in, but so far the pedal feels firmer in normal driving, and the recent rain didn't cause any problems with initial bite. More info later, after I've had more chance to push them a little.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Ferodo DS2500s are insanely good pads for do-everything. I keep mine on for autocross and street driving. Switch to DS3.12/DS1.11 for track. The 2500s DO work on track, but as you get more experienced you'll start to push them to the point of fading. They are NOT a dedicated track pad, but I have absolutely no issues recommending them for someone who wants to try a track day or two. They lose "bite" very progressively once you start to exceed their temp range. A lot of other pads tend to just fall off with much less warning. Difference being one you miss the apex and use a bit too much of the track... the other you slow down some but not enough to not drive straight off the track. I've got 15k miles on my DS2500s including street driving and 4 days at VIR... I'll measure them next time I have the wheels off, but I'm almost positive they're still over 15mm total thickness last I checked (new is 19mm, backing plate is like 7mm of that IIRC).

On my last car (a 97whp Mazda2) I was going through Carbotech AX6/8/10 and G-Loc R8/10/12s (tried them all) every 4 days on track. That car only saw triple digit speeds a handful of times. The GTI sees 130+mph regularly with the 3.12/1.11 combo while weighing 1000lbs more, and the pad combo has seen 7 days, with another 2 or 3 days possible before needing to change the fronts out. I don't think the rears will ever wear out. Granted different platforms and all that... but the odds seem stacked in the favor of the tiny car. You get what you pay for. The Ferodo 2500s you can get through FCP Euro and have lifetime replacement to offset the cost in the future.

I will say the G-Loc and Carbotech compounds I ran felt AMAZING, particularly when it comes to trailbraking. I do NOT know how their 1521/Bobcat compounds(street) would compare as I haven't run those myself.

People are very opinionated about brake pads, myself included:

The only people who run Hawks are cheap bastards and people who get them for free via contingency dollars. Even those people eventually sell their hawk certificates somewhere once they figure out they're faster when they're not using crap pads. I know of several people who ran Carbotech or G-Loc brakes on track for NASA TT but with Hawk stickers for contingency just to sell off the certificates. :ROFLMAO: I WILL say the HPS 5.0 compound is not bad at all for a daily/auto-x compound. They're not as bite-y as I typically prefer but they're not terrible. Used on track once and burned through a whole set of new pads in 2 days FWIW. I wasn't expecting much out of them there, but it was my first HPDE and was what I had on hand.

EBC are overhyped. Have not put them on any of my personal vehicles, but have seen several cars totaled on track at VIR when they crumble or separate from the backing plate. Probably never going to experience that autocrossing or street driving but they're nothing remarkable.

I can definitely sympathize about the Ferodo prices... I'm about to purchase another set of DS3.12s for the front - those run $475. But they LAST and ultimately should end up being cheaper in the long run. At some point I do intend to give Carbotech AX12s a shot (or go straight to 20s) as I did really like the feel of them particularly on brake release - but I have rotors already bedded in the Ferodo compound, and may be changing pads in the middle of a 3 day event so don't want to make a complete change just yet.

Last edited:

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
On my other car I just took off some PowerStop TrackDay pads. They were ok at the track but were way too dusty and grabby for street driving. When cold, bite was literally on/off. When slightly warm bite was still on/off. When pushed hard and there’s some heat in them you can just begin to modulate them.

On went a set of the polarizing EBC Yellow.
They’re just as dusty as the Powerstop, but the modulation is much better during street driving. For what I want out of them (performance street & autox), they’re good. If only they would dust less.

Porterfield R4S continue to be at the top of my list after trying the Yellow.

FWIW the Yellow have an extensive bed-in process for track use which requires several miles put on to them to wear through a top layer before performing the hard stops. Many people (including myself) may not know this. Years ago I swapped in a fresh set at the track and tried to bed them in on an access road just outside the track. When I tried to lap with them they weren’t responding well, I came back in and took them off and put my thinning Hawk HP+ back on to finish the day.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
On my other car I just took off some PowerStop TrackDay pads. They were ok at the track but were way too dusty and grabby for street driving. When cold, bite was literally on/off. When slightly warm bite was still on/off. When pushed hard and there’s some heat in them you can just begin to modulate them.

On went a set of the polarizing EBC Yellow.
They’re just as dusty as the Powerstop, but the modulation is much better during street driving. For what I want out of them (performance street & autox), they’re good. If only they would dust less.

Porterfield R4S continue to be at the top of my list after trying the Yellow.

FWIW the Yellow have an extensive bed-in process for track use which requires several miles put on to them to wear through a top layer before performing the hard stops. Many people (including myself) may not know this. Years ago I swapped in a fresh set at the track and tried to bed them in on an access road just outside the track. When I tried to lap with them they weren’t responding well, I came back in and took them off and put my thinning Hawk HP+ back on to finish the day.
I'm with you. Yellows for "spirited street driving" for me, were great...I always recommend them as daily pads for folks vs. reds...reds, to me, have no value over yellows and at least with yellows, you get some heat management for mountain runs etc. which is mostly what folks asking this question are seeking. Great pedal feel. Have to follow the bed-in directions of course if you expect a good outcome....reading directions is always a smart thing to do. It's pretgty simple. 200 miles which is to wear off the break-in coating that is there to prep your rotors/get a good mate-up for pad to rotor. At 200 miles, 6 slows from 60 to 20 or whatever to get them hot/smoking then let cool. I keep saying this in the brake pad threads were yellows/EBC gets beat up on....go to their website. Read it. Yellows are not recommended for track use. Bluestuff NDX is their recommended hybrid street/track pad that has a less arduous bed-in procedure for that reason. They have some new sintered track-only compounds now as well.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I'm with you. Yellows for "spirited street driving" for me, were great...I always recommend them as daily pads for folks vs. reds...reds, to me, have no value over yellows and at least with yellows, you get some heat management for mountain runs etc. which is mostly what folks asking this question are seeking. Great pedal feel. Have to follow the bed-in directions of course if you expect a good outcome....reading directions is always a smart thing to do. It's pretgty simple. 200 miles which is to wear off the break-in coating that is there to prep your rotors/get a good mate-up for pad to rotor. At 200 miles, 6 slows from 60 to 20 or whatever to get them hot/smoking then let cool. I keep saying this in the brake pad threads were yellows/EBC gets beat up on....go to their website. Read it. Yellows are not recommended for track use. Bluestuff NDX is their recommended hybrid street/track pad that has a less arduous bed-in procedure for that reason. They have some new sintered track-only compounds now as well.
Yes. You mentioned this about the Yellow bed-in procedure in some other posts recently and that got me reading their information literature. … decided to try them again because of this. So far I like ‘em. 👍🏼

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Good read and TGIF!

Brakes seem to be such a difficult recommendation because of the variables and options in pads. Oh and the opinons...so may opinions.

I'm in the middle of looking at pad options. I currently have Ferodo DS2500's in the front and stock rear. These DS2500's have been great on spirited mountain drives (Bear Mountain Runs before I moved to South Florida...I miss those :( ) and also at WITW! But they clank (I probably need to reshape the clip) and they dust way more than I want to.

I have a set of TRW TPC1633's (ceramic) that I would normally swap back in during the winter when I was living in NY. I'm going to swap back to those now that WITW is over since I don't do any other spirited driving that the TRW's can't handle.

I'm curious if there is a pad that is in between these 2 I can stick with?

I see that the TRW TPC's are no longer available and seem to have been replaced with the TRW THX. A friend of mine got these thinking they were the TPC version and he thought they were too dusty. His mechanic switched him to EBC Reds and he's happy...

Maybe the TRW THX is better for spirited driving but with still low dusk?

Also I'm using the same rotor currently to swap between the TRW ceramics and DS2500's. Besides bedding procedures are there any other tips when swapping pads with the same rotor? I know it's probably ideal to have a dedicated rotor for a pad but it's not that serious for me.

I realize this is jumping the topic so I may create a new thread for this question since I see that many people seem to swap pads with the same rotor. I'm just looking at best practices.

Thanks in advance