GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are public utilities required to give prior notice before raising rates?

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
Well, a certain public utility increased my rates twice without giving me prior notification. I was just wondering if there is any legal requirement for them to give me prior notification before a rate increase, and if so, is there a required time frame?

Chris@RT

Banned
Not sure, if there is what qualifies as public notice may be a joke.

For example a police road block during a holiday weekend is illegal in most states without prior notice to the public. Prior notice can simply mean they take out a 1X1" ad in the local newspaper.

Chris@RT

Banned
ah internet, then don't know.. I don't believe that is as regulated as things like gas or electric since you don't need internet (did i really say that?)

Were you in a contract? I'm in a nice 2 year contract that had a early termination fee that goes down each month and after 4 months in you'd have broken even anyway..

09vdubgti

Banned
Car(s)
mkV GTi
They installed red light cameras in my town, and to give their so called public announcement they did exactly that Chris, a 1x1 ad in our neighboring towns newspaper.

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
ah internet, then don't know.. I don't believe that is as regulated as things like gas or electric since you don't need internet (did i really say that?)

Were you in a contract? I'm in a nice 2 year contract that had a early termination fee that goes down each month and after 4 months in you'd have broken even anyway..

wait, you don't need internet? :eyebulge:

what happened was my previous 1 year contract ended, so i called to lock in another 1 year term, they jacked up the rates even higher than before and "lost" the previous communication for the lower rate. good thing i have e-mail from them confirming the rate. :wink:

to answer your question, it was SUPPOSED to be a locked contract for 1 year, but they jacked up the rates over 40% anyways less than a month after the rate was locked that they "lost" info on. :thumbdown:

gti314

mkv-gti-fast
Car(s)
'08 GTI MKV
wow yea ive only heard of electric ect.. going up without notice

Chris@RT

Banned

what happened was my previous 1 year contract ended, so i called to lock in another 1 year term, they jacked up the rates even higher than before and "lost" the previous communication for the lower rate. good thing i have e-mail from them confirming the rate. :wink:

to answer your question, it was SUPPOSED to be a locked contract for 1 year, but they jacked up the rates over 40% anyways less than a month after the rate was locked that they "lost" info on. :thumbdown:

That sucks, I have heard of them doing that to someone else recently. When I had cable TV and they would try that with me I'd just downgrade heavily for a day or two then call back with a fake problem have them offer me some ridiculous package for 6 months at half the price while I'm on with tech support and take it. Cancel that the day it expired have them try and talk me out of it refuse.. then repeat call back with fake problem 2 days later and get new deal.

Worth a try.

whitepony5.0

My Car is Red :)
Car(s)
06 GTI

Read your fine print...they may have the "right" to do it according to your contract, if its not stated in there, the I would mail a check with the ammount you agree'd upon in the contact and send a copy of the contract with the total highlighted.... or call and threaten to cancel service...sometimes they will buckle and compensate you for that to keep your business. :paddle:

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
Read your fine print...they may have the "right" to do it according to your contract, if its not stated in there, the I would mail a check with the ammount you agree'd upon in the contact and send a copy of the contract with the total highlighted.... or call and threaten to cancel service...sometimes they will buckle and compensate you for that to keep your business. :paddle:

actually, their own TOS says that they will give 30 days before any rate increase. and i had it in writing that it was fixed at the lower rate for 12 months. they "lost" the e-mail. good thing i didn't lose mine. :thumbsup: