GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are MK7s common targets for car thieves?

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Are MK7s common targets for car thieves?
Someone tried to pick the lock on my car last night with some kind of tool. I’m assuming they wanted the whole car and not just something inside of it. I imagine if they wanted something inside the car, they would’ve just smashed a window.

Wondering if MK7s are common targets, easy to steal, or was this random bad luck?
2017 GTI
77FD2F6F-DF7B-48A4-9AA0-6BFFB82657E8.jpeg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Random bad luck.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
The Golf mk7 is the most steal car in the UK, very close in Spain.
In the US they are not as common, but yeah if a pro wanted your car, he would be driving it now

Last edited:

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
That sux and +1 on it being junkie or a kid. At least you don't have to worry about pro's stealing it in Murica

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
Thieves in the US tend to stick to cars that are either easy to steal or have valuable parts. MK7 is neither of those so they manage to be relatively untouched. Your door definitely looks like amateur hour. Sucks though cause that's easily $2k in damage.

TheJokker

Go Kart Newbie
I love my GTI so much I have this reoccurring dream where I go to my parked car and it is gone and I spend the dream looking for it. In one dream my Dad, who died 20 years ago, asked me why I keep buying the same car when it has been stolen a dozen times? I bought an R.

Maybe not in real life but I feel your pain...

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
The low life criminal who broke into my car in a parking garage across from work did me a favor and just broke the small rear door glass to gain entry. I think out of pocket was $100 on my glass replacement policy. Nothing was taken (there wasn't anything in the car). Most likely looking for drug money. This was June 2018.

Jonnyr6

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 golf R
Thieves in the US tend to stick to cars that are either easy to steal or have valuable parts. MK7 is neither of those so they manage to be relatively untouched. Your door definitely looks like amateur hour. Sucks though cause that's easily $2k in damage.
I agree with you.This car isn't a target car for theft in North America. This was probably some tweaker trying his luck on your car. There are a bunch of other cars that are very easy to steal and the mk7 golf isn't one of them.. its also not a high end/ profitable vehicle to get a return on for people who steal cars.

I'd be more concerned if I owened any high end pickup truck/suv/supercar

Try not to stress, just bad timing for your car and some noobie

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie

vu.

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf GTI (Sold)
Most people nowadays are too busy stealing scatpacks and hellcats to even think about trying to take a GTI.

Well, at least here in the U.S. I should say...

I'd say this was just bad luck more than anything.