GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR tune IS38 with stock downpipe

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
Hello everyone, i live in CA and was wondering if i would be able to pass smog test with an IS38 w/ stock downpipe on APR’s tune? I know they have a IS38 stock downpipe tune. But would this allow me to pass emissions/smog test here? Thanks!

BlackT5

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Check to see if they actually have a tune for you first. I checked for my 2020 GTI and they don't have one. Can't answer your questions but wanted to share.

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
Check to see if they actually have a tune for you first. I checked for my 2020 GTI and they don't have one. Can't answer your questions but wanted to share.
I asked Arin he said they do have IS38 stock downpipe tunes. I will double check though

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
It is 2017, i think next year i have to smog? Or is it 2024?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
You'll pass visual with the OEM downpipe. But you won't pass the ecu check unless you own an R and this is stage 1.

APR only has CARB approval on their stage 1 tunes. So if GTI, you would need to flash to stock and drive until readiness was set.

Last edited:

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
You'll pass visual with the OEM downpipe. But you won't pass the ecu check unless you own an R and this is stage 1.

APR only has CARB approval on their stage 1 tunes. So if GTI, you would need to flash to stock and drive until readiness was set.
So just put stock DP on and flash to stock then how long do i need to drive the car before readiness is set? Thanks for your help

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
These are the HP/TQ numbers on thr Apr is38 tune with stock DP:
311 WHP / 337 WFTLBS
345 WHP / 359 WFTLBS

Thats not too bad at least i can pass smog here in CA

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Regardless, I'm wondering on what planet that power is slow...
Whoops I deleted the previous post.

Anyways, on a separate topic, I'm running the IS38+aftermarket downpipe+APR tune and it's great!

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
Well Arin at APR confirmed that they do have a APR is38 stock downpipe file for me which should pass CA smog. The is38 is a vw stock turbo so i dont see what the issue is if i have the stock downpipe on.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Ca scans for your calibration number and calibration ID now. If those don't match stock or CARB approved numbers you'll fail. Only their stage 1 tunes are currently CARB approved.

I highly doubt you'd be able to pass on the turbo swap file as I've asked before and was told no even with a stock downpipe.

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
Ca scans for your calibration number and calibration ID now. If those don't match stock or CARB approved numbers you'll fail. Only their stage 1 tunes are currently CARB approved.

I highly doubt you'd be able to pass on the turbo swap file as I've asked before and was told no even with a stock downpipe.
Damn really? So i have to put stock turbo back on as well? Where did you get this info?