GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 1 Mk7 - 381TQ and 316HP

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
There are VW dealers that sell APR tunes. In my experience the service guys @ the dealer where I bought the car, and have had most of the service done, have never cared that mine was tuned.

The dealer is where I got my DSG tune at when I bought the car. The only thing that I didn't think of, is that it's in the service record forever. So VW could deny a claim if there was ever a DSG issue.

aadouglass.13

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2017 sport stage 2 APR. They have a flash for the new models nothing to worry about. I drove from Orange County to San Diego on Sunday and avg. 33.5 mph. The car is extremely fast also routinely walking away from V8s. I say go APR you will not regret it. Make sure if you have DSG to get that tuned also it makes a big difference.
How much of a difference in your opinion does the DSG tune make. I'll probably be getting that today when I get off work. In the chance that is makes the tranny last longer then that alone would be worth it for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
How much of a difference in your opinion does the DSG tune make. I'll probably be getting that today when I get off work. In the chance that is makes the tranny last longer then that alone would be worth it for me

I can't speak for him, but I can speak for the literal hundreds of user reviews I've read on this forum in the last 3 years.

Everyone who gets the tune says it's incredible. Many people go as far as to say that, given the choice between an ECU and a TCU tune, they'd leave the engine on stock power and just do the trans tune, it's so much better.

howellinwolf

Just scheduled my stage 1 ecu tune for Monday at a local dealer. I have the 6MT so no TCU tune for me except maybe my brain [emoji12].

Gonna do the low output with 91 octane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

augiec

Passed Driver's Ed
Just scheduled my stage 1 ecu tune for Monday at a local dealer. I have the 6MT so no TCU tune for me except maybe my brain [emoji12].

Gonna do the low output with 91 octane.

At the risk of jinxing myself, that's what I did 20,000 miles ago. Car still running fine. Hell I even stuck to the 10k mile oil change schedule for the first one before it dawned on me I should probably change it more frequently.

I'm about to go stage two though. Here's hoping everything holds up!

peppy2

Ready to race!
To answer the TCU tune. I strongly advise getting it. If you are only doing Stage 1 which is a waste of money IMO you wont really need it. Stage 2, I would definitely get it. Basically it helps with the tranny and the engine communication. It helped smooth out the shifts and also finds the optimum shift points. Every now and then, APR has their software discount sale. Wait till then to save a few bucks.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
To answer the TCU tune. I strongly advise getting it. If you are only doing Stage 1 which is a waste of money IMO you wont really need it. Stage 2, I would definitely get it. Basically it helps with the tranny and the engine communication. It helped smooth out the shifts and also finds the optimum shift points. Every now and then, APR has their software discount sale. Wait till then to save a few bucks.

Why would stage 1 be a waste of money?

deanmarr

Ready to race!

Without the DSG tune the car is confused. The tune will help sync the engine and transmission. I would recommend biting the bullet and doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aadouglass.13

Passed Driver's Ed
Without the DSG tune the car is confused. The tune will help sync the engine and transmission. I would recommend biting the bullet and doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bit the bullet yesterday. I don't even consider it biting the bullet, worth every penny

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
Just his opinion, I personally believe stage 1 to be the biggest bang for your buck and I would imagine is more reliable than going further.

Stage 1 is enough for most logical people...most don't even have access to roads where they can exploit that much power. Stage 2 on this car is superb and adding the downpipe makes the car sound so much better.

howellinwolf

Stage 1 is enough for most logical people...most don't even have access to roads where they can exploit that much power. Stage 2 on this car is superb and adding the downpipe makes the car sound so much better.

Can confirm after briefly driving with Stage 1 for the first time today it is hard to use full throttle in most normal situations. Car pulls like a demon under boost now can only imagine what next levels look like.

augiec

Passed Driver's Ed
I just got stage 2 today and it's not a big difference compared to stage 1. If you're like me and not likely to go crazy on the roads, I'd probably stick to Stage 1 for a bit. I only went APR stage 2 because I got a deal on a pre-owned catless downpipe and intake. I will probably be looking to sell the catless downpipe though because while I like the smell of gasoline in small doses, I don't want it in my garage and near my kids.

Norsk982

Ready to race!
Got my GTI flashed to APR STG 1 HO yesterday at Smith VW to take advantage of the sale.

WOW, what a different animal it is!

Why did I wait two years to pull the trigger?!