GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 1 Low Torque (91) or Stage 1 (91) Tune?

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
VWoA must allow or authorize APR to sell their products through these dealerships. It's simply not possible that individual dealerships can decide to sell these products and put a big APR sign on the wall without VWoA's approval. So if they are selling these products and almost encouraging GTI owners to "go for it," how can they turn around and say they won't honor the warranty if the products damage the car??
VWOA does not authorize a dealer to sell APR products, the dealer does this independent of VW. It seems to me that you want to have your cake and eat it to so to speak in regards to extra power and keeping the power train warranty, which is why I mentioned piggyback modules in my post a few pages back. When you flash the ECU there is always the potential for a TD1 should the dealer scan your car. The closest thing to VW officially authorizing an aftermarket ECU flash was when VW Singapore sold a limited edition version (V50) of the MK5 GTI with an APR stage 1 tune.

https://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/02/singapore-gets-special-volkswagen-gti-v50/

Last edited:

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
OK thanks. It's a fascinating relationship that these dealers must have with APR. VWoA must allow or authorize APR to sell their products through these dealerships. It's simply not possible that individual dealerships can decide to sell these products and put a big APR sign on the wall without VWoA's approval. So if they are selling these products and almost encouraging GTI owners to "go for it," how can they turn around and say they won't honor the warranty if the products damage the car?? Seems almost unethical. The guys I spoke to at the dealership said they've never seen a stage 1 tune damage anything on a GTI other than the clutch, so if the worst thing that can happen is that I'm out $800 on a new clutch I think I'm willing to roll the dice. They did note that some other issues arose when people go up to stage 2 and 3, but they also said these guys were street racing and doing other things that I have absolutely no interest in doing.

you do not understand the nature of the Manufacturer-Dealer relationship in America.

vw83

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI 6-speed
Ask the dealer, what happens when your lease is over and you return it? Do they tell the next buyer about the tune? Oh, by the way it might need a clutch and any engine problems are probably not covered under warranty...
Honestly, I could care less what happens AFTER my car lease is up. However, one dealer told me that they never sell formerly tuned cars as CPO, but they remove the tune and look over the car and resell it. Virtually every car a dealer sells as preowned has a warranty of some kind, just not of the caliber of a CPO.

vw83

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI 6-speed
you do not understand the nature of the Manufacturer-Dealer relationship in America.
Perhaps not but wouldn't you agree there's something odd about a dealer encouraging you to buy products that are in contrast with a warranty? I understand that individual dealers might be separate business entities or franchises, but they are connected to the mothership of VWoA. Just a comment, I'm sure the lawyers have looked it all over.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Perhaps not but wouldn't you agree there's something odd about a dealer encouraging you to buy products that are in contrast with a warranty? I understand that individual dealers might be separate business entities or franchises, but they are connected to the mothership of VWoA. Just a comment, I'm sure the lawyers have looked it all over.
not odd at all, dealers have gotten very good at squeezing water from a stone.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

Of course there’s something odd about it, and it should be well-known that dealers are generally a pretty scummy business. They’d be HAPPY to sell you a Stage 1 tune, then charge you for a new turbo that would’ve been covered under warranty if you were stock or APR Plus.

Tons of dealers CPO cars without checking jack shit. There have been numerous reports over the years across Vortex and Golfmk7 of owners buying CPO cars, then something goes wrong and a warranty claim is denied because VW scans the car and it’s TD1’d. Then they have to duke it out with VW and the dealer. It’s happened a bunch of times

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
The dealer should just flag the car as Tuned to the buyer and make them sign an agreement regarding that. Something to that effect. If the buyer acknowledges they're buying a Tuned car, it's on them at that point I think. I honestly think, if the buyer test drives the "Tuned" car, they'll want it more than the untuned, lol. It's an easy impulse buy and signing that you agree it's fine because you want that extra powa.

I'm sure they have plenty others non-tuned they can sell as well so it's not like they're going to scare everyone away from buying used.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I don't think that VWOA authorizes the dealers to sell the APR tunes.
This.

There was a whole bunch of confusion when VW dealers started selling APR+. People were assuming that it was some extension of the VW factory warranty...which it was not. VWoA sent a letter to each VW dealer saying that the APR+ "warranty" has nothing to do with the VW factory warranty and that they do not advise any modifications to the ECU.

There was a copy of the VW letter circulating on Facebook a few years ago.

vw83

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI 6-speed
I don't think I'm going to do it. There are too many intangibles for my comfort. I'm sure it would be fun to have the car be faster, but violating warranties, violating lease agreements, potentially damaging the car and almost certainly being out another $800+ for a new clutch over the next 36 months is a bit much for me to swallow. I'll check back with the group if I change my mind. Thanks for all of the input!

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I don't think I'm going to do it. There are too many intangibles for my comfort. I'm sure it would be fun to have the car be faster, but violating warranties, violating lease agreements, potentially damaging the car and almost certainly being out another $800+ for a new clutch over the next 36 months is a bit much for me to swallow. I'll check back with the group if I change my mind. Thanks for all of the input!

if your car is a lease it’s definitely I’ll-advised to tune.