GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 1 Impressions

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
thanks man, now im more leaning on it or wait till stage 2 release, revo is going to release its stage 2 soon after they finish their downpipe from what i heard.

No prob. I can't wait for stage 2, hopefully our poorly assembled turbos can handle it.
:D

Burdman

Passed Driver's Ed
Got APR stage I a couple weeks ago from Eurotech Tuning here in Vegas and so far I have loved it. Like people have mentioned before highway driving is much improved as far as easy acceleration without the need for downshift. In town the car feels like it has a new motor compared to stock, even under light throttle the car just feels much faster. Have only done a couple WOT pulls due to stock tires, cops and fear of breaking things of course but when I did man its nice! Oh, and Im on the low 91 tune with no bolt ons, def worth the money IMHO.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
It's been about 2 weeks on APR stage 1 91 high for me. GTI S, DSG, Non-PP. Tires, tune and RS7 plugs are the only mods and had a few thousand miles on the car before the tune. Good and bad so far.

Much improved throttle response, reduced wheel spin, and even slightly better gas mileage when driven with a light touch. I've read others talk about hard shift from 1-2 but I had that before the tune and I chalk it up to similar feel in stick shifts I've had leaving first gear. But with DSG quick shifts and the phenomenal power on hand, the car shifted into another class in my mind. The car is so well put together that brakes and suspension are not a pressing need for me.

There are some oddities with the tune not experienced before. Straight from the tune shop doing WOT on an uphill highway merge I heard a clicking noise front the engine. It's a bit more dense sounding than ping and lasted for 3 seconds during the pull. I had my plugs swapped (needing heat range 8 anyway) but that noise did repeat on another uphill the following week. And lastly I experienced what some call turbo jump oscillating or fluctuation where the boost drops a few marks, rises quickly, drops again in a repeated cycle for a few seconds when at steady highway speeds. This stuff accounts for about 2% of my experience with the tune. I read that APR released an update for the R that addressed unintended oscillating. Hopefully there will be an update for the GTI too. And the clicking noise I'm not sure about. It's what concerns me the most. Oh, and idle became less smooth but not outside normal for other VW's I've been in (and I don't derive fun from sitting idle, so not a downside).

If any of you have heard of these issues, share your knowledge please. Love the tune and I don't want to have to part with it.

Edit: Spent some time testing the clicking noise and researching. Best and most likely answer to me was a video explanation of high-load, low-rpm condition in turbocharged engines.
https://youtu.be/soJea7xEt-8

To quote Linkin Park: "Cause you don't understand I do what I can but sometimes I don't make sense."

Last edited: