GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR No Longer Providing Stage 2 Tunes After Labour Day. Other Tuners to Follow

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
No worries, I don't believe everything I read on the internet either. That's why I searched their website and noticed all catalytic converters are not listed. Maybe it's because I'm using a US IP. 🤷‍♂️

Try it with a VPN.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Cts products are super low quality and also on the EPA shit list...

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
No downpipes are legal. I think Magnaflow and Borla might have some CARB approved cats in limited applications. Burger Tuning is forbidden from selling their JB units in California...but you can still buy them from out of state from third party vendors.

Neuspeed discontinued their downpipes a while back. There are still European companies that manufacture downpipes.
Magnaflow doesn't. CARB approval for replacement cats is for vehicle specific applications. Magnaflow only has Federal approved downpipes with cats.

https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/AftermarketParts/catalysts

Justgotohm

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE SP 6sp M
Each one of them pollutes as much as a small country and there is thousands out there.
As guilty as I am, and as mentioned previously, changing the federally approved emissions design on our cars is illegal, it is no different than making a rifle full auto without the proper license. We are all pissed because it has finally effected us on a personal level, or at least our hobby. People used to not have to wear seatbelts, and there are still idiots that don’t, because the government makes them do it.
I sure as hell don’t blame the tuners and manufacturers for discontinuing the product with the real threat of major fines, and possibly going bankrupt.
Anyway they have been going after the Maritime industry for the better part of two decades. The ship owners are probably pissed too.
0771D454-BD39-482E-8E64-FE33B20A1B2A.png

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Try it with a VPN.

Jake cleared it up further in the thread:

Vibrant actually stopped production of all cats about a year ago. GESI became its own separate company from Vibrant and they only produce cats.

Bad info on fb I guess.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
As guilty as I am, and as mentioned previously, changing the federally approved emissions design on our cars is illegal, it is no different than making a rifle full auto without the proper license. We are all pissed because it has finally effected us on a personal level, or at least our hobby. People used to not have to wear seatbelts, and there are still idiots that don’t, because the government makes them do it.
I sure as hell don’t blame the tuners and manufacturers for discontinuing the product with the real threat of major fines, and possibly going bankrupt.
Anyway they have been going after the Maritime industry for the better part of two decades. The ship owners are probably pissed too.
View attachment 182091

CO2 is not the only pollutant... Also, this Maersk study is best case scenario for the large shipping companies following regulations....

Most of the time in open ocean (free of regulations) they are burning sulfate heavy bunker fuel, basically being the only ones in the world polluting noticeable quantities of sulfate oxides...

Also, ships are in a different scale, extremely large and efficient, so its natural to see very low "gram per tonne-km" stats....

This very benefit has gotten abused and some things are being outsourced and shipped halfway across the world, unnecessarily burning fossil fuels.

Most of those things being shipped are twice as heavy as necessary due to packaging and are usually disposable one-time use items...

This is happening now and is widespread.... Going after the businesses selling a small percentage of enthusiasts high performance catalytic converters is ridiculous

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
CO2 is not the only pollutant... Also, this Maersk study is best case scenario for the large shipping companies following regulations....

Most of the time in open ocean (free of regulations) they are burning sulfate heavy bunker fuel, basically being the only ones in the world polluting noticeable quantities of sulfate oxides...

Also, ships are in a different scale, extremely large and efficient, so its natural to see very low "gram per tonne-km" stats....

This very benefit has gotten abused and some things are being outsourced and shipped halfway across the world, unnecessarily burning fossil fuels.

Most of those things being shipped are twice as heavy as necessary due to packaging and are usually disposable one-time use items...

This is happening now and is widespread.... Going after the businesses selling a small percentage of enthusiasts high performance catalytic converters is ridiculous

How dare you explain it so succinctly.

Our problem is that there is no billion dollar auto enthusiast lobby. This is classic bureaucratic thinking. We can't do anything about the largest sources but we can still "justify" our funding by going after someone(s) guaranteed to fold.

Last edited:

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I’m hoping that it may be a temporary thing out of caution so they (APR) can make sure they aren’t breaking any regulations. Hopefully the EPA will be reasonable and still let us modify the exhaust to be higher performance but still good with emissions. If not then... 🤬 lol

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
The EPA will NOT be reasonable to the extent of over-regulating what they can get their hands on more and more. This continues their justification of existence cycle. Good news though, this cat and mouse game has been going on for eons and will always reward our patience with worthwhile products. Kinda like cheating in NASCAR.

I liken it to the moonshine "industry". Shiners have been out foxing the "revenuers" forever and the industry continues on. Some are now playing by the rules and providing good product, albeit paying the government to do so. However, there is always someone making top notch stuff somewhere that don't give a shit about the rules. APR is just being a rule player and covering their ass. Just depends on how self-righteous you want to be and where you source your tuning needs from. Oh, and I prefer to get my corn squeezins' from relatives in the nearby hills BTW ;).

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I’m hoping that it may be a temporary thing out of caution so they (APR) can make sure they aren’t breaking any regulations. Hopefully the EPA will be reasonable and still let us modify the exhaust to be higher performance but still good with emissions. If not then... 🤬 lol

Not temporary. Seems like the only exhaust mods will be a muffler.

Justgotohm

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE SP 6sp M

Couldn’t agree more, I see it on a daily basis. It would be beneficial to see a push for items being made domestically for all countries capable of doing so. I saw this push first hand in India, it even came down to manufacturing regionally to reduce truck traffic.
Plus the pollution being pumped out from factories, more than likely located in countries with little regard to the environment, making mediocre low tech products has to be collectively high. And as pointed out the infrastructure in producing and discarding the packing materials and the pollution from shipping all of it amplifies the issues exponentially.
I do think its ridiculous to go after our small relatively insignificant hobby. You never know, might be illegal one day to use charcoal grills.
As kid in rural NC trucks would spray used motor oil on the dirt roads to keep the dust down.

Shmito_R

Go Kart Champion
Possibly the last brand new awe dp in existence?
148B3D04-9340-49E3-AF4A-CF673145867A.jpegC616BF95-222D-46FF-80AF-24BCD47FE3E5.jpeg75AD12EB-4C68-432D-BCE4-FC873820CF33.jpeg
Will have it in hand monday, hopefully installed and stage 2 before end of next week

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
The EPA will NOT be reasonable to the extent of over-regulating what they can get their hands on more and more. This continues their justification of existence cycle. Good news though, this cat and mouse game has been going on for eons and will always reward our patience with worthwhile products. Kinda like cheating in NASCAR.

I liken it to the moonshine "industry". Shiners have been out foxing the "revenuers" forever and the industry continues on. Some are now playing by the rules and providing good product, albeit paying the government to do so. However, there is always someone making top notch stuff somewhere that don't give a shit about the rules. APR is just being a rule player and covering their ass. Just depends on how self-righteous you want to be and where you source your tuning needs from. Oh, and I prefer to get my corn squeezins' from relatives in the nearby hills BTW ;).
Hopefully this will lead to more open tuning platforms where the end user is to blame if they turn off O2 sensors and run illegal downpipes on open source tuning software.
Similar to speeding is not the car manufacturers fault or downloading a movie is not your internet hosts fault.