GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone else change oil before 10K?

Jasper3

Passed Driver's Ed
So the handbook says to change the oil the first time as all of you know. What are they thinking? You naturally get some metal particles from engine break in period, direct injection is know for fuel dilution of oil, and turbo engines arent easy on oil, so why leave it in for 10K miles? It just doesnt feel right. I plan on a 3K change and then the next at 10K. Anyone else too nervous to leave it in for 10K (especially the original oil)?

Ronin3

Ready to race!
I didn't leave it in for one year or 10K miles. I changed it after 1500 miles (Castrol Edge 5W 30) and as you rightly say, there were metal particles that were flushed out. The dealer changed it at 5K miles. I regularly get 48mpg and my engine doesn't use any oil.

I used to run it on super unleaded (Shell V Power 99 RON) but got tired of it popping on start up, so reverted back to Shell FuelSave (95 RON).

psygieda

Passed Driver's Ed
I changed mine at 2K, and never looked back. The dealer advised me that I will have to pay, as the scheduled oil change is at 10K and part of my lease. So what I say, it's your car do what you can to prolong the life of the engine.
I always changed the oil on a brand new car as early as I could and never had any issues with oil consumption etc.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
I'd always change oil on any car after ~1500 km and swap for a fully synthetic 0W-40 and fixed intervals.

mlewando

Ready to race!
I didnt change the oil. Now it's 20k on the clock and i push as hard as i can :D

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

brentj7

I've been debating this, might do change soon, then just keep up with dealer intervals after, I've had mine for about 2 months still haven't hit 3k yet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ASH M

Passed Driver's Ed
Currently I'm doing 7500kms/4500miles, and the OBD shows "oil change due in 10 days". So the vehicle is booked in at the dealer next week.

This is exactly half the mileage as per the handbook. I guess it's similar to the BMW system which I'm used to. The harder you drive the quicker the mileage to the next oil change drops.

On the GTi the reminder had comes up from just over 30days, prior to that it just gave me mileage to the next oil change service.

Has anyone's vehicle taken top up oil from new especially just after the run in period? Mine hasn't which I find strange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk