GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Regrets after Tuning MK7 GTI?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I appreciate the input. I was pretty set on going the APR+ route but I'll look into the options as well. I'm the original owner of my GTI and it's paid for. It's a manual with the performance package. The clutch seems to be holding up well. The only mod I've done is installing some lighter Neuspeed wheels. Do you get smaller gains from stage 1 tunes when you already have the performance package bump in hp and torque?

I have a EQT Stage 1 and stock clutch. I autocross and track the car with no issues. I don't hard launch the car, flat foot shift, and use full throttle in 5th or 6th gear. If you do those things, stock clutch is fine. If you abuse the car, you'll need a new clutch with a true stg 1 tune.

You get the same peak hp with stg 1 tune with any IS20 factory GTI. You don't get a higher hp peak if you're car started as 210, 220, 228, 242hp.

Jrb5

Passed Driver's Ed
  • 2019 GTI Rabbit DSG.
  • Tuned since 8k miles, 15k miles as of today.
  • Unitronic Stage 1 ECU and TCU.
  • No regrets or issues.

If something breaks and the factory warranty does not cover the repair, I am well aware I am going to pay out of pocket. These cars are reliable enough tuned I am not too worried. I also don't beat on my car allow it to always warm up etc before doing so.

Last edited:

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Nope. I was planning on going APR+ until I saw the '+ tune' is considerably weaker than their stage 1 tune, ~30hp less according to their dyno sheets.

For clarity, the plus tune is *exactly* the APR low torque 87 octane tune. Of course the power output is lower than their 91 and 93 offerings.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
For clarity, the plus tune is *exactly* the APR low torque 87 octane tune. Of course the power output is lower than their 91 and 93 offerings.
It's probably the weakest tune you can purchase for our cars. Just something to consider if thinking about going APR+

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
It's probably the weakest tune you can purchase for our cars. Just something to consider if thinking about going APR+

That's true but it depends what you are looking for. It's unique in that it does provide replacement warranty coverage and my own dragy times show it puts it within hundredths of autobilds clubsport quarter mile time of 13.6. All while cheaping out on 87 gas. It's never going to be the fastest but it's a slick product and credit to APR for offering it imo.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I appreciate the input. I was pretty set on going the APR+ route but I'll look into the options as well. I'm the original owner of my GTI and it's paid for. It's a manual with the performance package. The clutch seems to be holding up well. The only mod I've done is installing some lighter Neuspeed wheels. Do you get smaller gains from stage 1 tunes when you already have the performance package bump in hp and torque?
If it's paid for, just get a regular stage 1 tune.

azrunner

Passed Driver's Ed
A little back story might be in order. June this year, I purchased a low mileage (5,800 miles) 2018 Fiat Abarth 124 Spider thinking it would be my daily driver in place of the GTI. Perusing the Spider forums got me thinking about modding. The 1.4 liter turbo Spider engine seems to respond very well to tuning. Downside is potential warranty issues with Fiat, even with minimal mods like after market blow off valves. The Spider provides a very different driving experience to the GTI. Obviously, the Spider is RWD. The Fiat provides more of a raw visceral driving experience, approximating the engaging experience of riding a motorcycle. The GTI is more comfortable and isolating from the environment. The GTI shines in regards to quick acceleration and smooth handling. Twisty roads are still enjoyable in the GTI and comfortable for road trips.
I can't justify keeping both cars. Adding a stage1 tune sounds like the ticket to renewing my excitement in the GTI.

toastergod

In my area (not sure about other parts of the country), Geico offers a powertrain warranty at time of purchase of vehicle, if the car is less than 3 years old and has less then 15,000 miles. It cost $15 dollars a month. I bought my 2017 GTI in 2018 and it had 10,000 miles on it. I have not had to use the warranty, so I don't know all the stipulations it might have. But if something did happen to need a repair, I would take to an independent repair shop that would not care if the car was tuned or not, They would just want the business. I have been APR Stage 2 hi torque since 12k with no problems, except being able to hook up from less than 30mph. LOL

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Don’t keep making yourself wait, get some better tires on there ASAP. You will wish you had done this sooner also.

Now that Summer is winding down, I will wait until early Spring. But I agree, been wanting to do it sooner. I almost pulled the trigger this Spring, but I still have so much tread left. I also want to add an aftermarket (OE fit) intercooler. Probably go Uni as well. I just don't have the desire to go much beyond those mods I mentioned. But the car needed a "wake up" for sure. Plus my next car will probably be an Audi RS3, so I am not spending tons of $$$ on modding this car.

One of my buddies has an original, highly modded Acura NSX and the my other buddy has a 3 year old Jaguar F Type - R and I'd have go full stage 3 with suspension, etc to keep up with them, so why bother. I enjoy my car immensely the way it is now.

The NSX is not a great daily driver and my buddy only drives it a few times a month. The F Type R is a better daily, but it can't haul anything or any people so it's not as practical.

Overall the GTI has a much higher daily "fun to drive" factor and it's so practical and flies under the radar.

Ghawk

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI, 2019 GLI
I have tuned a Mk5, Mk6, Mk7, and Mk7 GLI all APR Stage One. No issues at all except the need for a clutch with the Mk7 GTI. The GLI has the DSG transmission that has the transmission tune as well.