GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Annoying rattle on start up

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
My 2019 does the same thing and goes away once the engine is warmer. I thought it might've been something loose from when I had the TCR Muffler put on. Nothing is loose, there are no leaks. I believe what everyone is saying is correct - it is normal and is more pronounced when starting the car up in a garage.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
My 2019 does the same thing and goes away once the engine is warmer. I thought it might've been something loose from when I had the TCR Muffler put on. Nothing is loose, there are no leaks. I believe what everyone is saying is correct - it is normal and is more pronounced when starting the car up in a garage.

How do you like the TCR Muffler? I plan on keeping everything else stock then eventually getting a stage 1 tune. I don't want an obnoxiously loud exhaust just an "enhancement."

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
How do you like the TCR Muffler? I plan on keeping everything else stock then eventually getting a stage 1 tune. I don't want an obnoxiously loud exhaust just an "enhancement."

It’s perfect. It was a little loud at first but it has toned down once it broke in. I wish I would’ve went this route first before going with the AWE Track.

boggy17

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Someone else posted about this exact same noise not long ago. I think almost everyone said it is "normal" on cold starts. Mine does the same thing, it's very noticeable when starting in a garage. After the initial warm-up is over (within a minute or so) the noise goes away. If the car has been driven within the last few hours, at least in warm summer temps it doesn't make the noise at all.

Edit: Is this before the car has fully warmed up? I do not hear it at all when driving.
Yeah, even when warmed up, it's definitely more pronounced when I drive through a tunnel or anything enclosed at lower speeds in that lower RPM range. This is my 4th GTI, never have had any issues like this in the past, it's just strange.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
It’s perfect. It was a little loud at first but it has toned down once it broke in. I wish I would’ve went this route first before going with the AWE Track.

Does it drone at highway speeds? Also it it loud enough to make you look like an ass when driving around town? I am super annoyed with all the fools around here driving pos cars or non-sporty cars with loud exhausts. I feel like the stock exhaust doesn't really fit the character of the GTI though, which is why I said before I want an enhancement.

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
Does it drone at highway speeds? Also it it loud enough to make you look like an ass when driving around town? I am super annoyed with all the fools around here driving pos cars or non-sporty cars with loud exhausts. I feel like the stock exhaust doesn't really fit the character of the GTI though, which is why I said before I want an enhancement.

No and no. It has a pretty unique grumble to it that I like, kinda similar to the Fiat 500 Abarth.

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
Same thing happens with my 2019 GTI. The rattling reminds me of the wastegate rattle that a BMW I had would have during cold starts. Like others in this thread, I only get this noise on cold starts. I don't hear it at all once the engine is warmed up a bit. I also don't hear it if the car was driven recently and the engine is still a bit warm when I start it up then. I'm considering it normal and a non-issue, but I'm interested to see what others here find out.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
^ Agreed. I’ve been treating the noise as normal. Thankfully at the moment I’m not tuned so if it starts to become a noise I hear all the time I’ll just bring it in and see what they say.
But it doesn’t affect anything and goes away fairly quick as it’s warming up. Only annoyance is starting it cold in a parking garage, you definitely hear it then

boggy17

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Sorry for the delay everyone, been pretty busy as of late - actually got married :)

Anyways, finally made it to the dealership. The tech took a look and listen for maybe 15 seconds and turned the car off. I tried explaining the noise is much more predominant right after a cold start but they insisted this is normal behavior and I shouldn't have to worry.

I'm not really worried, honestly just disappointed that sounds like this are considered "normal", especially for a relatively new car. I've had 3 GTI's before this one and never had any issues. Sigh

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Sorry for the delay everyone, been pretty busy as of late - actually got married :)

Anyways, finally made it to the dealership. The tech took a look and listen for maybe 15 seconds and turned the car off. I tried explaining the noise is much more predominant right after a cold start but they insisted this is normal behavior and I shouldn't have to worry.

I'm not really worried, honestly just disappointed that sounds like this are considered "normal", especially for a relatively new car. I've had 3 GTI's before this one and never had any issues. Sigh

Congratulations!

And thanks for the update from the dealership. I'm considering the same noise as normal for now and I'll let the warranty deal with it if it ends up being some kind of an issue. Never having a GTI prior to this (or VW for that matter) it's tough to tell what's normal or not with these cars.

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
Thanks for the update!

I was hoping this was something that could be fixed by adjusting something or even replacing parts. If it's normal, then I guess "it is what it is." I've noticed the rattle during low-speed maneuvering (like feathering the throttle a bit when going up my driveway and pulling in to my garage) so it's still there after the engine has warmed up, but it's just not very noticeable except during cold starts.

This isn't an urgent issue for me either, but I'll bring it up when my car is in for service next... which will be a while since it's not getting a lot of miles put on it. I'll try to remember to update this thread once I do get the car serviced next though.

While this doesn't seem to be a symptom of any damage or reason for greater concern to the car, I just don't like that the rattling makes it sound cheap or not well put together. It'd be nice if there was a simple clip or something that could resolve this like there was for the MK6 GTI.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Congratulations!

And thanks for the update from the dealership. I'm considering the same noise as normal for now and I'll let the warranty deal with it if it ends up being some kind of an issue. Never having a GTI prior to this (or VW for that matter) it's tough to tell what's normal or not with these cars.
Thanks for the update!

I was hoping this was something that could be fixed by adjusting something or even replacing parts. If it's normal, then I guess "it is what it is." I've noticed the rattle during low-speed maneuvering (like feathering the throttle a bit when going up my driveway and pulling in to my garage) so it's still there after the engine has warmed up, but it's just not very noticeable except during cold starts.

This isn't an urgent issue for me either, but I'll bring it up when my car is in for service next... which will be a while since it's not getting a lot of miles put on it. I'll try to remember to update this thread once I do get the car serviced next though.

While this doesn't seem to be a symptom of any damage or reason for greater concern to the car, I just don't like that the rattling makes it sound cheap or not well put together. It'd be nice if there was a simple clip or something that could resolve this like there was for the MK6 GTI.

The product linked below will eliminate that noise. Yes it's expensive but it's a one time treatment that I have used with 3 different cars and friends have also.

https://www.cermastore.com/engine-t... performance while reducing friction and wear.