GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Android Head Unit - PX5 MTCD unit

takemorepills

Ready to race!
If you have a MIB1 car, I can see the attraction. But for those with MIB2, what's the point?

I bought my MIB2 car in late 2015. Even when car shopping for my wife in 2019, I have yet to look at any new 2019 car with a better-than-MIB2 setup. Unfortunately, my wife has zeroed-in on Toyota, holy crap the Entune sucks compared to MIB2.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
If you have a MIB1 car, I can see the attraction. But for those with MIB2, what's the point?

I bought my MIB2 car in late 2015. Even when car shopping for my wife in 2019, I have yet to look at any new 2019 car with a better-than-MIB2 setup. Unfortunately, my wife has zeroed-in on Toyota, holy crap the Entune sucks compared to MIB2.

a little bit more functionality? Android auto sucks?

1) split screen usage..
2) can use a real TPMS
3) I don't have to leave my phone hooked up all the time.
4) Maybe I"m sitting some where and would rather watch a video?
5) use Obeleven in your car

I'm sure a few other reasons, but making sure you don't loose to much functionality is important too.

TheAlbionist

Hey- long time lurker checking in :)

Resurrecting this as I'm trying to decide whether or not to take the Android route for my 2015 R and struggling to work out a couple of things. I have MIB1/Discover Nav (not Pro) with the smaller screen/piano black bezel which is definitely going to have to go and I think it'll either be an Android headunit or something like the Alpine x902d-g7... but that is 3x the price of even the top priced Android units and far less extensible/adaptable.

Apologies if these have been answered before - I have trawled and trawled before asking, I promise!

1. Are there units available that maintain or replicate the OEM car control screens? I.e. Driving Modes (inc Race/Individual) and the "Set TPMS" screen? I'm *sure* I've seen adverts for units that do this, but I've just been through almost everyone on eBay and AliExpress and can't find anything now.

2. I can see that almost all of them are compatible with 3rd party 'direct' TPMS, but I'd rather keep as much of that sort of thing as OEM as possible (and rather not buy 4 new sensors and pay for fitting when the car already has an indirect system which is just about up to the job) - has anyone got the OEM TPMS working with one of these?

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Wanna post some? I've yet to see any that don't have missing oem functions for our mib1 plagued cars.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

TheAlbionist

It has been pretty dead in this thread.. So many companies out there make an android unit now. it's tough to choose the best one.

Yeah, this is where I am now... so many options, but they're all so similar with subtle differences, I can't find the confidence to pick... and with so many coming in from China reviews/videos seem a bit hit or miss.

If one of these works properly with the OEM car config options it makes SO much more sense than going the Alpine or Infoadapter/Double-DIN route.

hal

Ready to race!
I got an Eunavi Octa Core 9" with 4GB ram from Aliexpress. It's brilliant and well made. DCC won't work without some sort of a "hack" - search the threads. This means if you don't have DCC then profile selection will work fine. With DCC, you won't be able to select Race or Comfort or change damper settings in Individual.

hal

Ready to race!
"Brilliant" but needs a "hack" to work with DCC? "Brilliant" is not the description I would have chosen.

Well, for $300 and comparing it to all the other crappy Android head units all over the place I am really impressed with this one. This is my second Android head unit in this car and considering the bad experience I had to go through with the first one this one is just brilliant.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
How's the install like? Does it retain all oem functions like Tpms and drive modes?

Last edited:

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
Seems decent. Doesn't state anywhere how big the screen is though.

Looks like a 9 inch, and will not work with amplified systems but I might try it with the alpine adapter.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
You might have to cut some hard plastic behind the oem one to make that fit.

TheAlbionist

Seems decent. Doesn't state anywhere how big the screen is though.

Display Size:9"

:D

Looks pretty promising this one, I've hovered over it a few times... no specific "Race Mode" in the driving mode options, but it does have Comfort and Individual which is more than most seem to manage.

I really want someone else to bite the bullet so I can see how it works with the factory TPMS... but I'm getting closer to risking it myself...:rolleyes: