GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Air recirculation button turns on air con

Matt_GTD99

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf gtd mk7 2013
Hi

everytime I hit the air recirc button in the car to get rid of the smelly car infront/general outside smells the air con turns on, then I have to hit the air con button then the recirc turns off, then I press the recirc button again then the air con comes back on then I turn the air con off for a second time and recirc stays on.
Such a pain! And I don’t need air con turning on or the compressor firing up just be turned off.
Is there anyway I can remove the interlock between the 2 and have ONLY the recirc on and off without the air con firing up?

golf gtd mk7 63 plate dsg

Matt_GTD99

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf gtd mk7 2013
I turned air con off so when I hit recirc now the air con doesn’t come on
So can close this thread

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What he means is when you first click on the air recir button the AC comes on. After that if he clicks on the AC button again the AC will shut off and the air recirc will stay on.

doctor

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
FYI, you really should be using AC all the time if you want to keep your system healthy. There's no reason to turn it off.
I totally agree, if you don't do this you will already have bad smells, in addition you should manually turn off the aircon a few minutes before arriving at the destination so that it can remove the humidity inside.

doctor

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Turn off the Aircon to remove humidity????
I've been using it this way for years and no bad smell has occurred :) Isn't humidity a perfect environment for bacteria to live in? because otherwise, a slight humidity will occur from the change in air temperature when the air conditioning is on.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
yes, we know that, but it is not as perfect as air conditioners at home. To try it, turn on the air conditioner on a hot day and you can control your ventilation grilles by hand :)
No idea what you're getting at here. I don't ever turn my AC off and no bad smells either.

I don't see the logic behind turning it off to remove moisture at the end of a journey.

misor1994

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GTD Variant
The point of turning off the AC a while before you arrive to your destination is to get rid of the humidity from the evaporator. This is to avoid spread of unwanted bacteria which causes smell.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
The point of turning off the AC a while before you arrive to your destination is to get rid of the humidity from the evaporator. This is to avoid spread of unwanted bacteria which causes smell.
Any moisture would just trickle off through the drain after shutdown anyway.

I'd like to reiterate I never switch off my AC and have never had any bad smells come from the system.