GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Air Filter?

JenniferTheGolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8T
Hey guys, so a friend of mine told me that the stock air filters on the TSI are very restrictive and said I should probably replace it with a better filter like a K&N filter if I want to mod my car. My plans down the line are the regular, downpipe, tune, fuel injectors, etc... but I've lost my desire for a cold air intake because of its risk of hydro-locking and how pointless it really comes down to in a turbo engine. BUT a less restrictive air flow is still important... so I was wondering on your opinions on this K&N filter, or no filter at all!

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=33-3005

Sorry for ranting on and thanks in advance

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Hey guys, so a friend of mine told me that the stock air filters on the TSI are very restrictive and said I should probably replace it with a better filter like a K&N filter if I want to mod my car. My plans down the line are the regular, downpipe, tune, fuel injectors, etc... but I've lost my desire for a cold air intake because of its risk of hydro-locking and how pointless it really comes down to in a turbo engine. BUT a less restrictive air flow is still important... so I was wondering on your opinions on this K&N filter, or no filter at all!

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=33-3005

Sorry for ranting on and thanks in advance

Do use a filter.
K&N are good filters and can last a long time. Just clean and re-oil lightly.
Not sure how much it helps performance but if you maintain it is cheaper in long run if you own car for 5-10 years.

jwilkins88

Ready to race!
Do use a filter.
K&N are good filters and can last a long time. Just clean and re-oil lightly.
Not sure how much it helps performance but if you maintain it is cheaper in long run if you own car for 5-10 years.

Agree with this.

A filter won't do much for you. If your stock one doesn't need to be replaced, I wouldn't replace it. When it comes time to replace it, feel free to go with a K&N, as they can be washed and re-used (as Sandman mentioned).

If you want to go with an intake, most aren't "Cold-Air" (located in your bumper). Most are Short Ram Intakes and sit in the stock location with little chance of hydrolock (read: not increased over stock).

Even if you get an intake, it won't do much for your performance unless you tune. It will sound better, and you might spool a tiny bit faster. Don't expect much outside of that, though

JenniferTheGolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8T
Agree with this.

A filter won't do much for you. If your stock one doesn't need to be replaced, I wouldn't replace it. When it comes time to replace it, feel free to go with a K&N, as they can be washed and re-used (as Sandman mentioned).

If you want to go with an intake, most aren't "Cold-Air" (located in your bumper). Most are Short Ram Intakes and sit in the stock location with little chance of hydrolock (read: not increased over stock).

Even if you get an intake, it won't do much for your performance unless you tune. It will sound better, and you might spool a tiny bit faster. Don't expect much outside of that, though

Yeah I understand the difference, where a cold air intake is your real best bet at increasing performance a little, but has a huge chance of hydrolocking in the wrong weather cause its so close to the ground...

I guess I will hold off in that case until its time to change my filter, because I am not up for "better" sound, I prefer subtle power so my money would probably go better elsewhere.

Thanks for your input guys!

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
You already have a cia. After market intake will do little for your car. If you think that you can feel 2 or 3 hp. at 6K rpm go for it. If you run a K&N do oil changes sooner rather than latter as your engine will be sucking in more dirt.